Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H baffles

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 10:48 PM
chromedome
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default V&H baffles

I read an interesting post here about a decibel meter test done with Vance and Hines quiet baffles, standard baffles, and no baffles. The results were something like 92db, 98db, and 104db. Seems that opinions are split on quiet vs, standard but that was just 1 pro and 1 con. Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

Vance and Hines claim that the quiet baffles lower the db by 2-3. Not knowing much about the subject I have to ask if that is anoticable difference?

Old 11-14-2007, 11:24 PM
Strgzr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: V&H baffles

Just ordered and installed mine last week.

First, every 3 db is half. So a 3 db reduction of say 100 watts would bring it to 50 watts. 6 db reduction of 100 watts would bring you to 25 watts and so on.

My pipes were loud. Cool yes, but tinny sounding and a little annoying to me the rider. Put the baffles in with the packing. Im much happier with this sound. Still plenty of sound, more than half but much more mellow. Also, dont forget to re-tune your fuelpack if you have one. Quiet baffles require different fuel air mix.

Like mine.

Take care,
mike

Old 11-14-2007, 11:47 PM
chromedome
Road Master

Thanks my friend.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:50 PM
chromedome
Road Master

STRGZR

Did you replace the stock baffles with the quiet ones? Or did you put baffles in a non-baffled pipe ?

Old 11-15-2007, 12:42 AM
Strgzr
Tourer

Went from standard baffles to the quiet baffles. Never ran the pipes with no baffles.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:15 AM
tbenson
Cruiser

I heard the short duals with the quiet baffles and they seemed very mellow, he did not roll into it so I cannot comment on hard throttle decibal levels. I have Big Radius so most exhausts sound mellow to me!

Old 11-15-2007, 08:27 AM
dugan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: Strgzr
Also, dont forget to re-tune your fuelpack if you have one. Quiet baffles require different fuel air mix.
I talked to a V&H Tech and he said that I wouldNOT need to adjust my PCIII after putting in my Quiet Baffles. Maybe that's different for the FuelPak.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:14 AM
Hogdazz
Intermediate

I put the quiet baffles on my Deluxe and am very happy with the sound. My HD dealer said I do not have to make any changes in calibration. The bike runs and sounds good.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:33 AM
rik777
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Strgzr

Just ordered and installed mine last week.

First, every 3 db is half. So a 3 db reduction of say 100 watts would bring it to 50 watts. 6 db reduction of 100 watts would bring you to 25 watts and so on.

My pipes were loud. Cool yes, but tinny sounding and a little annoying to me the rider. Put the baffles in with the packing. Im much happier with this sound. Still plenty of sound, more than half but much more mellow. Also, dont forget to re-tune your fuelpack if you have one. Quiet baffles require different fuel air mix.

Like mine.

Take care,
mike
[sm=exactly.gif]....will also gain back lower end torque

Old 11-16-2007, 01:17 PM
Strgzr
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Hogdazz

I put the quiet baffles on my Deluxe and am very happy with the sound. My HUD dealer said I do not have to make any changes in calibration. The bike runs and sounds good.
If you have a fuel pack, the settings are different.... Check out the web site. There is a tool for determining the settings. If you don't, disregard. I don't know about other devices.

Mike

Quick Reply: V&H baffles