Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 09:22 PM
usdave1t
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Question

OK so I have had my fatty for nearly two weeks, first Harley and I love it.

Question - it came with V&H pipes, not sure what sort as I can not see them on the V&H web site, they are short and straight and slightly staggered. I have noticed that every now and then when I roll off the throttle the exhaust pops - is this normal?? Also have read a lot on here about changing air intakes and tuning fuel systems etc. As far as I know I have stock air intake (how can I check?) andstock fuel management system (also how can I check?)

Well you all probably figured out I don't know s**t about Harleys (other than how awesome they are!) Any advise on how I can check what I have got and whether I should be doing anything to make the fatty run better.

Thanks
Dave

[IMG]local://upfiles/47214/25E6858284504A408A1789600B2C419B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-14-2007, 09:43 PM
gunner065
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Exhaust Question

Welcome to the fatty world. The pic is very small, but I think you have the same as me, Big Shot Staggered. Chances are that the previous owner who put the V&H on, also changed out the air cleaner to a high flow one. Take of the AC cover and if it is a round cone, it could be a K&N, screaming eagle, big sucker or something along those lines, meaning a high flow AC. If it is oval, chances are it could be stock. Most people will change the AC if they change out the pipes. If you have the stock fuel management system, it will be hard to tell if all the previous owner only did a remap of the system. As far as the exhaust pops, its nothing to worry about, but you can purchase an after market fuel management system such as thunder max with auto tune, screaming eagle race tuner, or a V&H fuel management systemjust to name a few. I hope this helps a little. Rise safe and ride often.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:19 AM
usdave1t
Novice

Gunner, thanks for the info. I will check out the air filter (probably have to wait till the weekend). If I have stock fuel management system are there any issues with just leaving it as it is, at least for the time being?

By the way, nice bike - looks like your pipes are slanted at the end, mine are square. I will try and take some better pictures and put on - again have to wait till the weekend.

Thanks again
Dave

Old 11-15-2007, 07:58 AM
rockerhead
Road Captain

Take your bike to the stealer or an Indy bike shop when it needes service
and they can tell you what youv'e got. And decel poping is usual with those pipes.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:07 AM
gunner065
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: usdave1t

Gunner, thanks for the info. I will check out the air filter (probably have to wait till the weekend). If I have stock fuel management system are there any issues with just leaving it as it is, at least for the time being?

By the way, nice bike - looks like your pipes are slanted at the end, mine are square. I will try and take some better pictures and put on - again have to wait till the weekend.

Thanks again
Dave

If you have the stock fuel management system with only the pipes changed, I think you should be alright. If you have a high flow AC, I'm guessing the fuel management system has been adjusted. If not, it's not so good for the bike. As rocker mentioned, bring it in to your nearest dealer to confirm what you have done to your bike. They might be able to tell by tracing your VIN if the changes were done at a HD dealership.
Another possibility for your pipes are short shots. Good luck.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:00 PM
usdave1t
Novice

Gunner and Rocker, thanks for the input. I'll check out what air filter I have in there and get the dealer to check out the fuel management at the next service.

Dave

Old 11-15-2007, 03:08 PM
usdave1t
Novice

Don't know if I got this right, but trying to give a bigger pic so you can see those pipes.

Couldn't get the pic to embed, so here is a link.......

http://picasaweb.google.com/usdave1t...79045824894514

Old 11-15-2007, 04:50 PM
FXSTD.AU
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That bigger pic is a help... it look to me that behind the oval AC cover that the rear black trim (about 1" thick) has been removed. That black trim is the edge of the stock AC so it does seem you have a high flow AC in there - brand is largely irrelevant they all do the same. Is it an EFI or carb model?

If it is an EFI model...

You haven't mentioned having being sold a little black cigarette size plastic box (which would be a SERT tuning module) so it is likely you've either got a Power Commander 3 (check under your seat and you'll immediately see it if it is there - it's a small plastic electronics box with PC3 all over it), OR, you have a V&H Fuelpak (virtually the same thng as a PC3 but made by V&H) OR, you have got a Stage 1 download (which you get from a HD dealer which reprograms the ECM (computer chip) to change the engine settings to acknowledge more air intake (due to the high flow filter) and more exhaust (due to the V&H BSS - nice pipes by the way).

The popping sound to a minor extent will intermittantly happen forever but the bike can be tuned to minimise this and virtually remove it. It sounds like for reasons unknown that the air-fuel ratio (AFR) is not quite right and the pop is excess air or fuel being pushed into the pipes after not being combusted properly. If you have a PC3 or Fuelpak you can endeavour to tune it yourself - there is alot of information in the engine area here online to assist, however if its a Stage 1 download you'll need to see a dealer for tuning.

If it's a carb unit... i have no idea.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:22 PM
usdave1t
Novice

FXSTD.AU, thanks for the info. I will be checking this out at the weekend. See what air intake I have and check under the seat for the tuning module. If it is a stage1 download I will get it checked out the next time I geta service. It is an EFI model. The popping is only once in a while which I guess is a good thing?

By the way - nice bike, love the pipes!

Old 11-17-2007, 07:15 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same setup on my 03 Fatty... but I am carburated... so the popping will always be there. You are FI so the popping can be eliminated or minimized. Sounds as if it already is at a minimum and you are fretting over what comes naturally.....$.02

Quick Reply: Exhaust Question