Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXSTC

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 07:10 PM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default FXSTC

does anyone know what FXSTC stands for. i think the STC stands for softail custom, but what about the FX.

Old 12-22-2005, 07:19 PM
grimm
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: FXSTC

You are correct. The STC stands for Softail Custom. The FX is in reference to the style of the front end, wide glide front end. It is the same as the Dyna Wide Glide, Softail Standard, and Night Train.

Old 12-22-2005, 07:52 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An FLST Softail would have an FL front end like a Fatboy, Heritage and Deluxe.

Old 12-22-2005, 08:26 PM
hotrod351
Road Warrior

ok. what are the major differences in the front ends. say dana wideglide oppose to a heritage front end.

Old 12-22-2005, 08:46 PM
grimm
Road Master

From what I understand, it is only the style. FX front ends might be a little lighter, but that is all.

Now if you're talking about the narrow glide Dynas, then that's a different matter. The narrow glide models tend to handle a little better than the big wide glides.

Old 12-22-2005, 08:47 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

A Dyna Glide has 39mm(pre-2006) or 49 mm diameter front fork tubes and either a 19" or 21" narrow tire and a narrow fender. The Heritage and other FL models has bigger diameter front forks, and a wide 16" tire and big touring bike fender.

I think that originally the FX was a designation that indicated that the bike had a Sportster (XL) type front end on a big twin (FL) bike. I'm not sure about this, but I think I read somewhere that this was the case.

Currently any FL is a touring front configuration whether it is a touring model, ie. FLHR(RoadKing), FLHTC(ElectraGlide Classic), etc. or a Softail Touring Model, ie. FLSTC(Heritage Classic) FLSTF(Fat Boy) FLSTN(Deluxe), FLSTSC(Softail Springer Classic)

Any FX model is a Big Twin model with a small Sportster type front end, be it the Dynas, ie. FXDL(LowRider), FXD(Super Glide), or the Softails, ie.
FXSTC(Softail Custom), FXST?(Night Train), FXSTS(Softail Springer).

The Dyna WideGlide, FXDWG is still a small front end, ie, small diameter front forks and a narrow tire. It is designated a Wide Glide because the forks are wider apart than the other Dynas, and not because it has a big front end.

If you get one of the little sales brochures from your local dealer, you will be able to see the difference on all the models along with the letter designations.

I hope all of these are correct. I just did them off the top of my head from memory, and believe me, that is not what it used to be.

Regards,

Bill

Old 12-22-2005, 08:51 PM
grimm
Road Master

Any FX model is a Big Twin model with a narrow front end, be it the Dynas, ie. FXDL(LowRider), FXD(Super Glide), or the Softails, ie.
FXSTC(Softail Custom), FXST?(Night Train), FXSTS(Softail Springer).
The pre-'06 Dyna Lowriders and Superglides had a narrow front end with the eyebrow over the headlight. Not at all like the Wide Glide or the Softails. I'm not too sure about the '06 models.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:03 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Grimm,

The narrow I am talking about refers to the size of the tires and the diameter of the fork tubes, not the distance between the front forks. While the FXST and the FXDWG have wide apart forks, they are still small fronts, ie. small diameter fork tubes and narrow, tall tires. The headlights are mounted different, and there are some other differences, but the basic front end is the same.

I think of it as a Sport bike front end as opposed to a Touring bike front end.

Regards,

Bill

Old 12-22-2005, 09:06 PM
grimm
Road Master

uh, ok....

Old 12-22-2005, 10:51 PM
hotrod351
Road Warrior

i figured a wideglide is a wideglide. i know the full dressers have a lot more sheet metal on there front ends but isnt a full dresser, say 1997, wideglide the same as a 90 fxstc wideglide front end, just with more bells and whistles.

Quick Reply: FXSTC