Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Six speed in a softail

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 02:16 PM
nearmiss
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Six speed in a softail

Who has installed a 6 speed in their softail and how do you like it? I'm considering a baker dd6
in a flstf.

Old 12-22-2005, 02:59 PM
MegaHDman
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Six speed in a softail

Better off with a Baker OD6.

Old 12-22-2005, 04:20 PM
krenshaw
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the JIMS/SE 6-speed. I don't like it.... I LOVE it.

I also agree with Mega... consider an overdrive 6-speed. I think you'll be happier in the long-run.

Old 12-22-2005, 05:13 PM
Bannana Boat
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Was told your speedo's would be off using the Baker 6 speeds, any truth to that?

Old 12-22-2005, 06:26 PM
MegaHDman
Banned

WIth the DD6 you need a calibrator. Go with Bakers OD6, its a better transmission by far.

Old 12-22-2005, 08:24 PM
nearmiss
Cruiser

The dd6 comes with a kit to change the primary drive ratio yielding an effective overdrive
of .86 to 1 at the rear wheel. Why do you consider the od6 a better transmission? I am just
trying to gather some information.

Old 12-22-2005, 08:47 PM
MegaHDman
Banned

ORIGINAL: nearmiss

The dd6 comes with a kit to change the primary drive ratio yielding an effective overdrive
of .86 to 1 at the rear wheel. Why do you consider the od6 a better transmission? I am just
trying to gather some information.
See, this is whats silly about the DD6, they try and give all this BS about super efficiency in 6th due to a 1:1 ratio, but by regearing the primary to overdrive the final 6th gear, you lose all the "efficiency" that they proclaim. Add to the fact that the DD6 uses 3 helical gears that put undue side loading stress on the stock transmission case and bearings.

Trust me, the Baker OD6 is a much better setup, and 100% straightforward. Plus is uses all conventional straight gears which have no side loading issues on bearings or the case side supports.

Even better is you can get the SE/JIMS 6 speed which is nearly identical to the Baker OD6 for about a thousand dollars less. The JIMS/SE 6 speed is a bargain at $1500, and its quality is just as good as the Baker OD6

DD6=Marketing hype.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:03 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

On the other side of the coin, helical cut gears are quieter, stronger and smoother shifting. The primary gearing change is fine as long as the gearing of the transmission compensates for it. End result is still the same... lower rpms in 6th.. Harley-Davidson is using a similar setup to the DD6 in the new Dyna line. If Baker and HD are using this setup, there has to be a reason... and it's not all marketing hype. Go test ride a new Dyna and see how they shift and you will understand better.... Megaman and I have argued about this twice already. There are good points to both transmissions. You've got to investigate and make up your own mind and decide what's best for you. If it were me, I'd buy the DD6.

Here is a quote from Baker's website -

"Our new DD6 is a 6-speed with a 1:1 top gear, thus the name Direct Drive 6-speed. Because of powerflow through the transmission, the 1:1 gear is always the most efficient gear, typically 99+% efficient. Meaning, for every 100 ft/lbs of torque that goes into the transmission, 99ft/lbs of torque comes out of the transmission and goes to the rear wheel. To compare, the 6th gear in an overdrive unit is around 92% efficient. DD6 was born because it made sense that the gear in which you spend the most time should be the most efficient."

Old 12-22-2005, 09:40 PM
nearmiss
Cruiser

I don't believe that changing the ratios in the primary has quite the same loss in
efficiency as gained by the direct drive. The helical cut gears have their plusses and minuses. I can get
a dd6 for about 1900.00. The od6 would be slightly less with an hour or two more labor. I have a baker 6spd right side
drive in another bike, but its being driven by an S and S 107 which is putting out gobs more torque.
I am new to this site but not new to hd.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:20 PM
MegaHDman
Banned

ORIGINAL: JamieWG

On the other side of the coin, helical cut gears are quieter, stronger and smoother shifting. The primary gearing change is fine as long as the gearing of the transmission compensates for it. End result is still the same... lower rpms in 6th.. Harley-Davidson is using a similar setup to the DD6 in the new Dyna line. If Baker and HD are using this setup, there has to be a reason... and it's not all marketing hype. Go test ride a new Dyna and see how they shift and you will understand better.... Megaman and I have argued about this twice already. There are good points to both transmissions. You've got to investigate and make up your own mind and decide what's best for you. If it were me, I'd buy the DD6.

Here is a quote from Baker's website -

"Our new DD6 is a 6-speed with a 1:1 top gear, thus the name Direct Drive 6-speed. Because of powerflow through the transmission, the 1:1 gear is always the most efficient gear, typically 99+% efficient. Meaning, for every 100 ft/lbs of torque that goes into the transmission, 99ft/lbs of torque comes out of the transmission and goes to the rear wheel. To compare, the 6th gear in an overdrive unit is around 92% efficient. DD6 was born because it made sense that the gear in which you spend the most time should be the most efficient."
OMG, get the f**k off the thread dude, we had this crap before, your dont have a ounce clue of what your talking about, you have 0 technical merits or experience with anything HD. You have never even laid a hand on a Baker DD6. In fact your experience is limited to the one single HD bike you own. And the experience on that I know is very limited. I have installed about a dozen DD6 drives and many OD6 drives myself. That **** you posted above just continues to show you have no clue what your talking about. When you change the primary gearing to OD a 1:1 6th gear you lose the efficiency of the torque transfer and you no longer get a "99%" efficiency rating. If you overdrive the FD through the primary where for example its .85:1 "OD", then that means the engine theoretically can only transfer about 85% of the torque to the rear wheel. If its overdriven .89:1, then only 89% of the torque is transferred a maximum. If the overdirve ends up being .75:1, then a maximum of 75% torque is transferred. And realistically its a lot less. I know, Ive done countless dyno runs that prove the point. You LOSE the torque multiplier and any potentially gained efficiency when you OVERDRIVE!

If you had an ounce f**king clue of any real knowledge you would see that the MAJORITY of Baker products use straight cut gears, and traditional designs. Check out their "DD5", it also uses all straight cut gears. Not marketing you say? Hell why doesnt HD call all their traditional 5 speeds "DD5" then? 5th gear is 1:1 and the most "efficient". Call it the "Jamiedrive"! LOL! They have one transmission(the DD6) with a few helical cut gears, and its the top gears with which they use helical cut gears on where torque and sideloading is limited. And they did this to minimise stress on the case. "Helical gears are stronger", ya right, thats a load of bull too! If helical gears are stronger why don't you find them in Baker's new TB5 transmission? Its all straight cut gears, and its designed for high torque racing applications. In fact why dont you find helical cut gears in any drag application? You dont, they arent as strong. So get off the post, and go back to lemmingland.

"Go test ride a new Dyna and see for yourself".....LOL! Go test test ride a couple bikes with Baker transmissions, you will see that even their traditional OD6 with straight cut gears is just as quiet as your "cruisedrive" setup. You only wished your economically made transmission shifted as well as ANY Baker or JIMS product!

OMG, you just had to post on this thread didnt you? I thought you learned something by now. I was wrong.

Quick Reply: Six speed in a softail