Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Six speed in a softail

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 10:39 PM
MegaHDman
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Six speed in a softail

ORIGINAL: nearmiss

I don't believe that changing the ratios in the primary has quite the same loss in
efficiency as gained by the direct drive. The helical cut gears have their plusses and minuses. I can get
a dd6 for about 1900.00. The od6 would be slightly less with an hour or two more labor. I have a baker 6spd right side
drive in another bike, but its being driven by an S and S 107 which is putting out gobs more torque.
I am new to this site but not new to hd.
First off, why would the OD6 require an hour or 2 more of "labor"?? Who quoted you that?

Unless your bike is a weakling punk'd stock TC88 the DD6 is not going to have any advantage at all in 6th gear. None. The "efficiency" gain they claim in 6th gear is very minimal compared to the OD6. Its so little in fact that even careful regulated dyno runs have proven to have a hard time picking it up any differences.
The only time I ever recommend the Baker DD6 is if your running a stock low powerde EVO or Twin cam engine, or run a heavy bagger(thats underpowered), thats fully loaded with a driver who never really goes over 65-70mph where the extra shift can be beneficial. Then the DD6 shows merit.

If your riding a light or middleweight cruiser where you do mostly 1 up riding, or like to stretch the legs of your bike a bit on the top end and go fast, or as most people do, have an engine thats been done up and puts alot of power to the ground go with an OD6. Its a better match.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:47 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MegaHDman

OMG, get the f**k off the thread dude, we had this crap before, your dont have a ounce clue of what your talking about, you have 0 technical merits or experience with anything HD. You have never even laid a hand on a Baker DD6. In fact your experience is limited to the one single HD bike you own. And the experience on that I know is very limited. I have installed about a dozen DD6 drives and many OD6 drives myself. That **** you posted above just continues to show you have no clue what your talking about. When you change the primary gearing to OD a 1:1 6th gear you lose the efficiency of the torque transfer and you no longer get a "99%" efficiency rating. If you overdrive the FD through the primary where for example its .85:1 "OD", then that means the engine theoretically can only transfer about 85% of the torque to the rear wheel. If its overdriven .89:1, then only 89% of the torque is transferred a maximum. If the overdirve ends up being .75:1, then a maximum of 75% torque is transferred. And realistically its a lot less. I know, Ive done countless dyno runs that prove the point. You LOSE the torque multiplier and any potentially gained efficiency when you OVERDRIVE!

If you had an ounce f**king clue of any real knowledge you would see that the MAJORITY of Baker products use straight cut gears, and traditional designs. Check out their "DD5", it also uses all straight cut gears. Not marketing you say? Hell why doesnt HD call all their traditional 5 speeds "DD5" then? 5th gear is 1:1 and the most "efficient". Call it the "Jamiedrive"! LOL! They have one transmission(the DD6) with a few helical cut gears, and its the top gears with which they use helical cut gears on where torque and sideloading is limited. And they did this to minimise stress on the case. "Helical gears are stronger", ya right, thats a load of bull too! If helical gears are stronger why don't you find them in Baker's new TB5 transmission? Its all straight cut gears, and its designed for high torque racing applications. In fact why dont you find helical cut gears in any drag application? You dont, they arent as strong. So get off the post, and go back to lemmingland.

"Go test ride a new Dyna and see for yourself".....LOL! Go test test ride a couple bikes with Baker transmissions, you will see that even their traditional OD6 with straight cut gears is just as quiet as your "cruisedrive" setup. You only wished your economically made transmission shifted as well as ANY Baker or JIMS product!

OMG, you just had to post on this thread didnt you? I thought you learned something by now. I was wrong.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone on the net as insecure as you are. Just because I disagree with you, you totally lose your mind. You have no right to tell me what threads I can post on... I'll post anywhere I decide. As for all of your technical knowledge and "on hands experience"... how's that mud room or mobile home, or where ever it is you call a shop? ... oh well.. Mud Room Custom Cycles has spoken - The Baker DD6 is all marketing hype.... First it was all HD propaganda and now it's all Baker propaganda, right? You oughta sue them all for false advertising, you internet genius. Unreal..

Old 12-22-2005, 11:04 PM
MegaHDman
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: JamieWG

I don't think I've ever seen anyone on the net as insecure as you are. Just because I disagree with you, you totally lose your mind. You have no right to tell me what threads I can post on... I'll post anywhere I decide. As for all of your technical knowledge and "on hands experience"... how's that mud room or mobile home, or where ever it is you call a shop? ... oh well.. Mud Room Custom Cycles has spoken - The Baker DD6 is all marketing hype.... First it was all HD propaganda and now it's all Baker propaganda, right? You oughta sue them all for false advertising, you internet genius. Unreal..
Not insecure the least bit, but jerkoffs like you need to be curb'd a bit on technical posts. You have absoltely no clue what you even post. Jamie, all you ever do, is copy and paste advertisements. Thats it kid. Nothing else. You don't post anything with direct hands on knowledge or background training. Nothing. Nada.

The Baker DD6 is a good transmission, and its proven to be reliable and durable(unlike the cruisedrive your using), and there are applications for it as posted above. Now Jamie, did you notice that Baker also has a 5 speed? Notice what they call it? "DD5". Take a look at it. Why dont they just call it "5 speed"? Thats all it is, a basic 5 speed, just like the ones HD has been putting in their big twins for years and years. What sounds better? "DD5" or "5 speed". They make a basic 5 speed sound fun and new. Thats called "marketing", and marketing folks are in business because people of people like you.

In all seriousness, yes you can post where and when you want, but you really should lay off the transmission subject. You are clueless on them. Even with all the internet browsing me and you both know you do to try and learn about them. You still havent grasped it yet.

Speaking of insecurities, why are you so caught up on where I store one of my own winter projects? Is this the only way you can try and needle me? You sure can't do it with your intelligence or knowledge on motorcycles. So is this the best way you can lash back out? Talk about an insecure person.

Old 12-22-2005, 11:12 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MegaHDman

Speaking of insecurities, why are you so caught up on where I store one of my own winter projects? Is this the only way you can try and needle me? You sure can't do it with your intelligence or knowledge on motorcycles. So is this the best way you can lash back out? Talk about an insecure person.
Umm.. you're the one who attacked here me for no reason. I simply stated my opinion on the Baker tranny. You're also the one who claims to know everything, claims to have built all these bikes, claims to be "the boss of a shop", claims to have a "bullet proof bike", claims to know more than the engineers at HD...(and I assume, now Baker)... you make so many claims I can't even keep up with them..

Then you post a pic of your bike and it's obviously never even been started, and to top it off, it's being worked on inside a mobile home or in a mud room (as you claim)..

It doesn't add up. Now this has nothing to do with transmissions, but you're the one who brought credibility into question here. And those pics you posted? They destroyed yours.

Old 12-22-2005, 11:19 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm locking this thread because we've been through this before and the name calling here. We really don't need that here.

[sm=lockeddance.gif]