Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keeping the bars, but want new pull-back risers

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 12:43 PM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Keeping the bars, but want new pull-back risers

Hey gang,

I didn’t realize I was going to be so challenged. I’ve exhausted what (I think) HD sells, and have looked at a couple aftermarket places online, but then thought I’d just post about it for suggestions from you all.

I’m now living up to my screen name, and am not ready for new bars, grips, and controls. I’d like to keep existing bars (with everything attached) and just replace the risers. I think I have enough slack to keep existing cable lengths if I don’t go nuts.

If possible, I’d like my stock 1 ¼” inch bars to be raised about two inches, and then pulled-back by two inches. I think that would give me my most comfortable riding position. I went to Wild 1 and Carlini sites looking for just risers; but it looks like my stock 1 ¼” bars are going to be tricky (for now) to find some new ones.

Any suggestions?

Old 11-12-2007, 02:01 PM
rockerhead
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Keeping the bars, but want new pull-back risers

badlandsmotorcycleproducts.com
should be able to help you out
top quality, maybe a little spendy, but so is the scooter

Old 11-12-2007, 02:08 PM
GrampsWyatt
Cruiser

No. don't think badlands will or can help, those risers are for 1" bars. You will have to be very careful and read exactly what they describe on 1-1/4" risers. The actual riser metal stock is 1-1/4" for that "beefy" look but the actual part that holds the handlebar is 1" or the cup is 1".

Poorboy, I've looked all over the place and there are just not any risers as you want that fit 1-1/4" bars. All of them are for 1-1/4" bars that neck down to 1" in the center. Now I also went through the entire Drag Specialties book on risers and found 1 set of risers for 1-1/4" bars, think they are called Maltesse Cross risers, they only cost $ 325.00

Now wild1 has an adapter for 1" bars in center to fit your stock 1-1/4" risers but that is not what you want cuz you will have to change bars.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:16 PM
rockerhead
Road Captain

Do you thing that they could machine a pair out to 1.25 they should be able to do that it's simple so why not ask??????

Old 11-12-2007, 02:25 PM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: rockerhead

badlandsmotorcycleproducts.com
should be able to help you out
top quality, maybe a little spendy, but so is the scooter
yea, I think everything (so far) is cupped to 1".

No. don't think badlands will or can help, those risers are for 1" bars. You will have to be very careful and read exactly what they describe on 1-1/4" risers. The actual riser metal stock is 1-1/4" for that "beefy" look but the actual part that holds the handlebar is 1" or the cup is 1".

Poorboy, I've looked all over the place and there are just not any risers as you want that fit 1-1/4" bars. All of them are for 1-1/4" bars that neck down to 1" in the center. Now I also went through the entire Drag Specialties book on risers and found 1 set of risers for 1-1/4" bars, think they are called Maltesse Cross risers, they only cost $ 325.00

Now wild1 has an adapter for 1" bars in center to fit your stock 1-1/4" risers but that is not what you want cuz you will have to change bars.
Thanks GrampsWyatt for poking around for me. I was hoping just for a riser change to save mucho bucks. If I change bars to get the risers I want, then I know that (more or less) I'd have to change grips, controls, diamond cables, etc. I know me.

The market probably needs more time for the demand (for 1 1/4" stuff) to rise (poor pun).

I'll wait patiently. At least I have 2/3 service manuals now.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:28 PM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

Do you thing that they could machine a pair out to 1.25 they should be able to do that it's simple so why not ask??????
Ya know Rockerhead, you bring up a good point. Maybe I can purchase the risers I want and then get a local shop to carve out the needed diameter. I'll ask around startingwith my local shop guys. Thanks!!!

Old 11-12-2007, 03:59 PM
smittyp83
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I swapped out my stock bars for some bars & risers from a Deluxe. They opened up my arms, flattend out my hands and brought the bars back towards me. I bought them from another user on this site who had taken them off their bike.

Go to your dealer and sit on a Deluxe - see how much they bring you back and how it feels compared to your Fatty

Old 11-12-2007, 04:23 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: PoorBoy

Ya know Rockerhead, you bring up a good point. Maybe I can purchase the risers I want and then get a local shop to carve out the needed diameter. I'll ask around startingwith my local shop guys. Thanks!!!
I too have done an exhaustive search for risers for my '08 Fatty, keeping the stock bars.... no such luck.

if you find a machine shop willing to machine a set of risers, please post back - I for one would be interested in this "fix".

IMO: I think I'd go with the beefiest set of risers I could find, to allowfor the machining and still have enough stock left to feel comfortable.

thanks, Dave

Old 11-12-2007, 04:56 PM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: smittyp83

I swapped out my stock bars for some bars & risers from a Deluxe. They opened up my arms, flattend out my hands and brought the bars back towards me. I bought them from another user on this site who had taken them off their bike.

Go to your dealer and sit on a Deluxe - see how much they bring you back and how it feels compared to your Fatty
Good idea. It would be so muchcheaper for meif I could just find some risers. Getting some custom ones tooled wouldn't be cheap either, so I have to see if (first) someone can mill-out a bigger diameter from a set I hand over.

I'll keep everyone informed.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Demkay
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck with that Poorboy, man, I spent like 4 days researching that on the net. Drove me nuts.

That was about 6 months ago. Anyhow, I got new bars as the stock ones weren't too good to me.

One thing that did help though, was loosening the riser clamps a little and sliding the bars back about an inch. I found this better while I waited for my bars to ship over.

Good luck to you though, they have to come up with something by the end of the year.

Quick Reply: Keeping the bars, but want new pull-back risers