Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tri Bar L.E.D. Tail light with singnal

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 11:47 PM
detonator
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Tri Bar L.E.D. Tail light with singnal

ORIGINAL: Suffergauge

sounds cool but we need some pics

Getting good feed back on this, So as I have not found a company who makes this paticular item I am in the process of making them! Depending on the feed back will determen mass production. This is my intention. https://www.hdforums.com/m_2443751/m...tm.htm#2443843 with out the turn singals on the fender thus cleaning up the look of rear fender.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:59 AM
Suffergauge
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so when your brakes are on would it be solid on one side and blink on the other?

Old 11-12-2007, 08:39 AM
SGTGunner
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds pretty cool. If able you ought to make the module that blinks the lights seperate from the rest of the assembly, that way you could sell the module to those of us who already have the tri bar light. Now that would be sweet!

Old 11-12-2007, 11:51 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: SGTGunner
Sounds pretty cool. If able you ought to make the module that blinks the lights seperate from the rest of the assembly, that way you could sell the module to those of us who already have the tri bar light. Now that would be sweet!
I don't think you can do that very easy. the Tri-Bar only has the all or nothing wires coming out of it. That kind of setup would require opening it up and rewiring the internal circuitry to split the sides apart electrically.
What I wish they had done with it is to use tri-state LEDS that are red normally but when the polarity is reversed turned yellow in the center bar.
That way when the turn signal was turned on the upper and lower bars would still work as brake lights but half the center bar would be red while the other half would alternatly change betweenred and yellow.
But so far I haven't seen anyone who's done it, even for the turn signals much less a tail light.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:18 PM
mikedmeyer
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Suffergauge

so when your brakes are on would it be solid on one side and blink on the other?
Yes, good question. What would be the behavior when the turn signal is on and the brakes are applied? My vote (if I get a vote) would be for 2 rows of yellow lights between the 3 rows of red lights so that the turn signals could operate completely independent of the brake/tail light.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:23 PM
MAILMANNM
Novice

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

ORIGINAL: SGTGunner
I don't think you can do that very easy. the Tri-Bar only has the all or nothing wires coming out of it. That kind of setup would require opening it up and rewiring the internal circuitry to split the sides apart electrically.
What I wish they had done with it is to use tri-state LEDS that are red normally but when the polarity is reversed turned yellow in the center bar.
That way when the turn signal was turned on the upper and lower bars would still work as brake lights but half the center bar would be red while the other half would alternatly change betweenred and yellow.
But so far I haven't seen anyone who's done it, even for the turn signals much less a tail light.

THE HOTROD GUYS HAVE BEEN "RE-PROGRAMING" LED BAR LIGHTS TO MEET THESE TYPE APPLICATIONS (THINK OF THE CADDY 3rd BRAKE BRAKE LIGHT HERE, THE ONES THAT ARE LIKE 3 1/2 FEET LONG) A GUY HAD FRENCHED IT, AND PARTS OF ONE, INTO THE REAR TAIL PAN (WIDTH OF CAR) HE HAD RUNNING, STOP AND TURN CAPABILITY...

YOU'RE RIGHT, WOULD BE SOB TO DO, I GET THE FEELING THO, IT'S SOMETHING TO BE SEEN SOON?

Old 11-13-2007, 10:48 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

First of all I don't know how much "reprogramming" is actually neededto use a Caddy light for something that. What I do know about electronics leads me to believe thatit would take a fair amount ofrewiring to split the led circuits into smaller more usable sections.

Redoing the Tri-Bar wouldprobably wind up beingsomething similar, just on a smaller scale. Now much as I would like to find out exactly what’s inside, I'm not about to start cutting openmy very expensivetail light just to find out.

If you can find me a schematic wiring diagram I'll be more than happy to see if I can figure out how to do the rewiring to make it work as a turn signal. But I’m afraid that actually doing it will probably reduce the overall light area to less than what the DOT requires.

I like the idea that mikedmeyer had of adding yellow LED’s between the red bars because it would preserve the square inch area of the run/brake functions. If you can find suitable yellow/red tri-state LED’s it would increase the size of the brake light as well as give you the yellow turn function.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:27 AM
MAILMANNM
Novice

THIS COMPANY LOOKS PRETTY SLICK, YOU DESIGN THEY MAKE...

http://www.lambertenterprises.com/

Old 11-14-2007, 11:07 AM
sgtrod91
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wan tot clean out the rear fender. I would like to see how it turns out.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:52 PM
rkduq20
Tourer

I would be extremely interested in this. My questions are the same as other people have asked. How would the lights look if you were on the brakes and turning at the same time? Would one bar be solid and the other two be your turnsignal or viseversa? Other than that Great GREAT idea.

Ryan

Quick Reply: Tri Bar L.E.D. Tail light with singnal