Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Stage 1, No remapping?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 01:01 PM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: 08 Stage 1, No remapping?

pmiller,

There is some great advice here, but I do not recommend that you run your bike in open loop (meaning void of those O2 sensors).

Some sort of fuel manager will enhance your bike's performance and happiness. The EPA has these Harleys stuck at something like 16:1 (air:fuel ratio) which is way too lean, wherea fuel manager with get you a lot closer to 13:1.

A piggy-back fuel manager will allow the ECU to continue its job and the O2 sensors are important if you start changing altitude at all on your ride. The sensors also help on very hot days. Basically anything that thins the air (heat or height) will getreported tothe ECU and accounted for in the timing adjustments that will affect how your ride performs, as well as aid the fuel manager's ability to maintain proper air/fuel ratios.

Do some serches with the forum tool on here and you'll find a lot of consistent feedback on this topic. The other concensus I found was that a stage 1 download into a stock ECU was a joke. Either a complete replacement with a SERT, or one of the numerous piggyback managers.

If you have the bucks or credit line, the ultimate is probably the ThunderMax w/autotune and their wideband O2 sensor replacements. This is also a complete ECU replacement device.

If you accurately quoted your dealer, they are dopes and I would never go back.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:09 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: PoorBoy
If you accurately quoted your dealer, they are dopes and I would never go back.
Dopes? That's putting it "politely", I would have used somewhat stronger and more earthy language.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:47 PM
pmiller
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. You guys rock. I am fortunate enough to live in an area where I'm 45 minutes from 5 dealerships. I will take my business elsewhere. I've been riding a sporty for 16 years and finally saved enough to consider a Softail Custom, I sure don't want to mess it up right from the get go.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:23 PM
Twolf
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: pmiller

I was at a Maryland dealer today pricing out an 08 FXSTC, he tells me the major differance between the 07's and the 08's is the EFI map allowing better flow. If I want to do SE breather and SE pipes, no EFI map changes are needed. Anyone else have a dealer/shop tell them this?
Any lowlife at the stealer who tells ya that kinda BULLSH*T is probly grinnin' as ya ride off, thinkin' ,"YEP, I'll be replacin' that engine for $$$$ in
about 1000 miles!!!"

Find a good indy shop ta do AT LEAST a PC3USB, or go whole hog (LOL) on the Tmax Autotune.

Like the others said, search here. Must be a thousand threads on this...

Oh, yeah. After the 08's showed up at our dealer, I asked what the differences in the FXSTC's were compared to my 07. I couldn't see any.
The guy gave me a big grin and said, "The paint colors. That's really all. They don't have YOURS anymore, ain't ya happy about that?"

I am, makes mine just a lil more unique.