Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar Vibration FXSTC

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007 | 01:18 AM
3288chrisc
|
Intermediate
Default Handlebar Vibration FXSTC

Nearly all of my riding is done on the highway - mainly because I live in the middle of nowhere. I've just picked up my new 2008 FXSTC last Saturday and one thing that was immediately apparent to me was the vibration coming through the handlebars. I've searched the internet and forums for chat about the subject and found that it is a common issue with ape-hanger handlebars. I was begining to think that the dealership must have left out some parts when they put my bike together, because after about an hour travelling at 100kph (55mph) my hands are pretty numb. If I don't pull up and give them a rest I reckon after 2 hours riding at highway speeds, my hands would be pretty painful. I was wondering if this is a common experience with other softail riders, and if there are some solutions to correct the problem I am having. At low speeds its definitely not an issue for me and the bike is a dream to ride, but I certainly wouldn't want to do a cross the nation ride without addressing the handlebar vibration.

I've heard that you can actually buy products that go inside the handlebars - everything from weights, to a polyurethane fill called barsnake. The fact that these products are available leads me to believe that I am not alone. But boy I wish I could find a solution aimed specifically at my bike. The trouble with the products advertised on the internet is I know nothing about them, or indeed if they are suitable for my 2008 105th Anniversay Softail. Another possible reason for my vibration is that the bike only has 1000kms on it and maybe its something that goes away the older the bike gets.

I'd be happy to hear any comments or similar experiences from other softail riders. Regards, Chris.

Old 11-07-2007 | 01:38 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: Handlebar Vibration FXSTC

Most of my vibration went away when I installed the ISO grips from Kuryakyn. The rest went away when I change the motor oil to Amsol.[/align]

Old 11-07-2007 | 02:15 AM
Figstr
Road Captain

Wow, I've ridden for 6 to 7 hour days and what impresses me most about this bike is the lack of vibration - no hand buzz at all for me.

Old 11-07-2007 | 03:43 AM
silvrbill
Road Warrior

I just bought the same bike, don't have any vibrations serious enough to make my hands hurt. Installed the SAC grips, most comfortable and softest grips I ever had.

Old 11-07-2007 | 06:58 AM
cravenc
Advanced

I have the same bike also with no issues........ The FXSTC is much better on vibration than my old Dyna was..........

Old 11-07-2007 | 09:00 AM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp

I'm haven't had any vibration issues on my bike (with stock bars or my new bars). The Kuryakyn Iso grips would definitely help if you don't like the vibration it has. You might also try shifting a gear higher. That could smooth things out as well.

Old 11-07-2007 | 09:19 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Live2Ride

...... The Kuryakyn Iso grips would definitely help if you don't like the vibration it has. .........
I have always heard good things about these grips. This will be my next project. The other thing I'm trying is the polypropoline (spelling?)riser bushings that will replace the stock rubber ones. I'm getting rid of a misalignmentbetween the handlebars and the fork nuts and have read that the poly bushings help dampen the vibs too.

The old-school fix (which I am ALSO doing) involves stuffing lead fishing weights into the handlebar ends when I take the stock grips off. After doing all three changes I will live with whatever remaining vibration.

Trying for those 60 and 80 mile stretches down the road, my right hand starts going pins & needles that I have to shake-off after setting the thumb-screw down on the throttle spring-back. Once my hand starts going numb like that, it seems every few miles I need to shake it off again.

I'll be watching this thread in case there is a fourth thing I can do. Ha ha.

Old 11-07-2007 | 09:32 AM
wb0zrd
Road Captain

I bought a new 07 Heritage last summer and noticed the same thing...BUT the bars were about as straight up as they could get them, to much of a reach for me, so I pulled them back a little (not alot) and the vibration went away. So I don't know for sure if they were just alittle loose or if the relocation changed the physics enough to stop it. You might want to try this, only a suggestion, it may or may not help your situation out.

Paul in Colorado

Old 11-07-2007 | 09:50 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace

Try loosening the riser clamps and tipping the bars back about 3 or 4 inches.
I had, and still have the same problem with mine because Ibroke the elbow about 20 years ago.
Its not so much the vibration that's bothering you its the angle of your arm and the pressure on your palms. Tipping the bars back allows you to relax your grip and bend your elbow a little more. Both will give you abetter blood circulation throughout the lower arm and hands postponing or even eliminating the problem. Better, larger diameter, softer (stickier?) grips will also help by letting your fingers maintain a positive hold onthegrips without as much flexing or pressure.

Old 11-07-2007 | 11:25 AM
jf
Tourer

i also find my right hand goes numb changing to thekury iso grips helps they look good and are a lot more comfy than stock, but do still getthe numbnees now and again, also think you do have to getuse to the bike then you can relax more

Quick Reply: Handlebar Vibration FXSTC