Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar Vibration FXSTC

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007 | 05:43 AM
Figstr
Road Captain
Default RE: Handlebar Vibration FXSTC

I don't know what vibration is on this bike. I can run 6 to 7 hours a day with no hand-buzz at all. There's a problem if you have vibration - a big problem.

Old 11-17-2007 | 09:18 PM
3288chrisc
|
Intermediate

I've spoken to several HD mechanics and the buzz in the handlebars is just the way it is. I fully appreciate that HD's are a lot different to Jap models, and apparently HD have made huge improvements in reducing handlebar vibration but it hasn't been eliminated. Everyone rides differently and everyone's hands are also different, as are the roads we all ride on. Some people will experience the vibration more than others, some are lucky enough not to experience it at all. Judging by the comments in this forum and on other web sites, the whole thing comes down to individual differences.However, I am pleased to report that having now clocked up 3500 kms in a little over a week, the vibration is diminishing. The HD mechanics suggested that this might happen once all the rubber softens up a bit with use. I am still looking forward to the gel pad gloves and am pleased to hear more good reports on them.

From my own experience, I can honestly say that if the road surface is good then I don't need to keep as tight a grip on the bars as when I'm travelling over the old country roads we have around here. On these roads the bikes should all have 2WD :-) A couple of times I have been launched off the seat at 120kph but thankfully landed in the right spot and kept right on riding. Of course I had a strangle hold on the handlebars and after the ride my hands hurt like blazes. On smooth surfaces, with a relaxed grip I have chalked up 4 hours straight with only a mild numbness in my throttle hand from a pre-longed static load.

All in all, it could be a lot worse - I could be riding another Jap bike :-)

Old 11-17-2007 | 09:23 PM
zombie
Banned

Got a bit of vibration on my Custom bars too...I hate to admit it, but I kinda dig it. Still feels connected to the road.

With that said, you can install iso grips and there is a product that can be put inside the bars to help dampen the vibration...I think it's called bar snake or something similar.

Old 11-18-2007 | 12:47 AM
3288chrisc
|
Intermediate

Cool - thanks Zombie. I must say there sure are some nice bike pics on these forums. You guys have got your machines looking fantastic. Hey rock28, I take it that ain't you with that silver job up the page a bit :-)

Old 11-19-2007 | 08:57 PM
Mike05
Tourer

I had put 21,000 miles on my '05 Heritage and havenever had any numbness or vibrations. My last trip from Dayton Ohio to Milwaukee Wisconsin and back was about 760 miles on my fully stock bike. All was well. But now that has all changed. I installed the V&H True Dual setup, FuelPak and Stage I intake. I now have a vibration in the floorboards and handlebars. Not enough to notice much but it didn't used to be there (as stated before 21,000 miles on the stock setup). Andafter a 30 minute ride at freeway speed I'll start to get tingling in both hands and some in the feet. This tingling stays with me all day. Now thats annoying! Since the engine and pipes are bolted directly to the frame I'm beginning to wonder if the pipes are vibrating or something. Maybe counter balancer problems, compensator sprocket, primary chain, tires ..... Any ideas anyone?

Old 11-19-2007 | 09:09 PM
grzly
Road Master

last weekend , for the first time , had some tingling in the fingers ... put that down to travelling at an average speed of 90 mph for over an hours ride ... was necessarily gripping hard as i didn't have wind shield on. Otherwise never had a problem. ps that 6th gear works a treat !

Old 11-24-2007 | 04:09 PM
3288chrisc
|
Intermediate

The 96B engine is rigid mount as opposed to the 2007 96 engine which is rubber mounted. This would explain why some of you guys aren't having the issue. However, I will say that the Gwi Gel-Pad gloves have fixed the problem - hands down (pardon the pun!). If anyone is interested in taking a look that these remarkable anti-vibration gloves designed by a motorcycle riding orthopedic surgeon then check out the link below. Quite simply, these gloves are a good thing, but you can read what other riders say on the web site. Do yourself a favour, check it out. Cheers. Chris
http://www.qwinerveprotector.com/Testimonials.html

Old 11-24-2007 | 05:45 PM
Helix
Tourer

All "B" Motors are rigid mounted. Regardless of year.Dynas-Tour Bikes are 96 but they arent "B" Motors
hence the rubber mounts.

Old 11-24-2007 | 06:16 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Helix

All "B" Motors are rigid mounted. Regardless of year.Dynas-Tour Bikes are 96 but they arent "B" Motors
hence the rubber mounts.
Exactly.........

As far as the vibration, maybe it's the "torque pulse" or "engine pulse" or whatever it's called that's being mistaken for a vibration

Old 11-24-2007 | 10:43 PM
3288chrisc
|
Intermediate

Engine pulse affected 2007 year model 96 motors (i.e the first release 96's) which was to do with the way Harley had to set the engine up to meet EPA requirements. The 2007 96's also had issues with overheating - to the extent that riders would have to get off the bike when stopped at traffic lights or burn their inner thigh. Harley also came out with a fix for this problem which involved shutting of the rear cylinder when the bike was stopped. Not my idea of how to rectify the problem by turning off half the motor, but it was a factory fix as opposed to the $2k you could invest in an after market solution - which had the downside of affecting the warranty on the bike.

Like I said - the 96B motor is rigid mount.............- i'm suresome of rider's commenting on their lack of handlebar vibration may have overlooked their engine mounting differences.........I certainly did.

The extent of the vibration in the 2008 96B Softails is something that I noticed has varied with road conditions. Whilst its true that the buzz coming into the handlebars via the rigid mount motor is constant regardless of the road surface, it is greatly accentuatedwhen travelling over rougher roads - mainly because your grip is tighter..............its a case of hang on or hop off.

I now run the HD Cushion Grips with Gwi Nerve Protector (Gel Pad Anti-Vibration) Gloves - problem solved. I put about 8 hours travel time on the bike yesterday and my hands loved every bit of the ride. Now my bike not only looks good but its a sweet thing to ride as well.

If one other owner of a 2008 Softail gets benefit out of my research and solution - then I get the added bonus of helping another rider.

Regards,

Chris

Quick Reply: Handlebar Vibration FXSTC