Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can't decide...softail or dyna

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007 | 04:35 PM
ssls6
|
Road Captain
Default can't decide...softail or dyna

I'm struggling with the decision of which bike...wide glide or softail custom. Both bike have that classic raked out look that I associate with Harley. The softail looks like it has more suspension travel than the wide glide which is important to me. I like the dyna because it is unbalanced should be smoother at speed. Can anyone help me decide? I don't know enough about either bike to help with this decision.

Thanks,
Richard

Old 11-04-2007 | 04:39 PM
rik777
Cruiser
Default RE: can't decide...softail or dyna

Owned both....like the softtail...smoother. Handling is better with dyna on quick winding roads.

Old 11-04-2007 | 05:03 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

See if you can take a test ride, on each model and see which one that you like the best.
Tom

Old 11-04-2007 | 05:30 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: ssls6

I'm struggling with the decision of which bike...wide glide or softail custom. Both bike have that classic raked out look that I associate with Harley. The softail looks like it has more suspension travel than the wide glide which is important to me. I like the dyna because it is unbalanced should be smoother at speed. Can anyone help me decide? I don't know enough about either bike to help with this decision.

Thanks,
Richard
You're right, the DynaIS smoother at speed. The softie is smooth at idle, but more vibration at speed. I like the softail with the 200mm tire (wide tire junkie) and for some reason the bike just feels a lot bigger. I'm 6'4" 260lbs, so the bigger the better.
Ride them both and you be the judge.

Old 11-04-2007 | 06:27 PM
SpringerDude
Tourer

I was in the same boat. I had trouble deciding between a softail and a Dyna Wide Glide.I don't like the rear springs on a Wide Glide, but I do like them on the front with a Springer along with its hard tail look. After reading some about each, I figured that the Wide Glide was a more practical bike for me. I bought one about 3 weeks ago and suddenly realized I really wanted the Springer instead, so I bought the Springer this morning. I got a good deal (I think) on each, so I shouldn't lose too much flipping the Wide Glide. I think the best option is to have a handful of Harleys on hand... just can't figure out how to pull that one off! But, I'm sure I'll think about a 'stable'. Ha ha.

Old 11-04-2007 | 06:33 PM
jglasgow110
Tourer

I JUST went through this same decision. I started out by looking at the low rider, then went into the store and saw the softail and I just couldn't stop looking at it. I LOVED the look of the softail but I was looking into the lowrider or wideglide. After listening to the guys here on the board and looking closer at the low rider and wide glide, I got the softail custom. The forward controls on the wideglide were just a little to forward for me and I really like the softail suspension. I found an '07FXSTC on craigs list with only 5,200 milesand 4 years remaining on the upgraded warrenty. The guy had added new pegs and hottoppers and I got the bike for $11,700... hard to say no. I haven't been able to stop smiling since I got the bike. I LOVE it...my wife says I'm obsessing, hey...once you get the bike you HAVE to dress it up with all the goodies...and that takes time and research. The fact is,for me,the bike IS great... as smooth as can be and I really like the fat rear tire. I haven't found anything about the bike I done like, great power, smooth at high speeds, good in the turns and looks great...I couldn't be more pleased. Good luck with the decision.

Old 11-04-2007 | 06:37 PM
jglasgow110
Tourer

I want YOUR job!

Old 11-04-2007 | 06:43 PM
jglasgow110
Tourer

tmitchellofpg...how do you like those rip saws. I'm looking into some pipes and like the rip saws and jug huggers.

Old 11-04-2007 | 06:59 PM
DEW2112
Cruiser

The dyna has superior suspension compared to the softails backasswards working shocks.

Old 11-04-2007 | 07:13 PM
jglasgow110
Tourer

maybe...but compared to what I came off of, it's like sitting in a barka loundger, the seat is fabulous,and I perfer the forward controls being not so far forward. That big 'ol fat tire in the back looks pretty good also.

Quick Reply: can't decide...softail or dyna