Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD FAT MINI- APE HANDLEBARS

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 01:04 PM
DCS
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD FAT MINI- APE HANDLEBARS

I was thinking of going with a set of HD'S Fat Mini-Ape bars on a 07 Heritage, I know the diam. isbigger than the standard bar like 1-1/4".

My question to anybody who knows, do the bars tapper down at the ends totake standard grips and bar mounted controls? Did not know if my old stuff& new standard grips would work on this bigger diam. bar.

Thanks,
Dan

Old 10-30-2007, 01:18 PM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: HD FAT MINI- APE HANDLEBARS

Yes, they are stepped down to accept stock grips and controls. The bars are 1 1/4 stepped down to 1". I think you will require 1 1/4 inch risers though.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:55 PM
DCS
Advanced

Thanks for the info, been looking at HD's parts book and looks like the new risers will be around $100+ new longer front brake line, clutch cable, and throttle/idle cables, might as well go with the fancy diamond braid?

Thanks,
Dan

Old 10-30-2007, 02:32 PM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dan,

I installed a set of these on my last bike. A Softail Standard. Yes, u do need the 1 1/4 inch risers. I went with the risers off of the 07 wide glide for my risers. They look really good I think. I did run the wiring thru the handlbars but I did not need to splice in any extension kit nor did I have to change any of the cables on the standard. I did have to bend the brake line a bit to lengthen it but that was it... just fyi. New cables would be preferrable though and would look alot nicer.

I do remember those risers being a bit costly... little over 100 if I recall.

Those bars look really nice though. If you are putting them on a Heritage u might not have to change any cables also as the heritage bars are around 8 or 8.5. Yes, they do step down to 1 inch for grips.

It seems like those bars were prett costly also... close to 300 maybe? I remembre buying them when my dealer had a 20% off sale and still spending alot.

You might want to check out Wild One chubbies. I put the 502's on my Heritage. They are 12.5 inch apes... but. I was able to use the stock risers and I did have to change cables. I went with the chromolites though and it sure does look alot nicer up front. I like the 502's cuz they are spaced wider. Are 1 1/4 cept for the step down for the risers and the grip areas. I ran all the wiring thru the bars and did have to use an extention kit for that. I think for the cable lengths I used 6 inches over stock.

I do believe the chubbies are cheaper than the harley mini apes also... but can't remember for sure.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:54 PM
jrspringer06
Tourer

I have been looking at the Chubby's for my springer, however several guys I have talked to said they would just stay with 1" bars cause the 1 1/4" are way heavier than the 1" bars. Anyone have any experince with this issue. Cause the bigger bars do look awesome. And Yes the Chubby's are cheaper than HD bars and you can use 1" risers since they step down at the riser as well as the grips.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:27 PM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: jrspringer06

I have been looking at the Chubby's for my springer, however several guys I have talked to said they would just stay with 1" bars cause the 1 1/4" are way heavier than the 1" bars. Anyone have any experince with this issue. Cause the bigger bars do look awesome. And Yes the Chubby's are cheaper than HD bars and you can use 1" risers since they step down at the riser as well as the grips.
I can't see how this would be a weight issue. Maybe they meant the diameter and the appearance when they say 'heavier'. I have short 9.5" chubby's on my springer classic. Weight's not a problem but maybe if you are taking about the fx springer they may look to massive on the relatively skinny front end, springer forks and skinny front tire? So I don't quite understand what they mean.

I'm very happy with my bars and am glad I went with the short apes. The quality is great and the comfort is top notch. I would ask someone who told that what exactly they mean by that.

A member here named Springer has apes on his fx springer if I remember correctly. He went from the HD mini apes to different, taller bars if I'm not mistaken. You might want inquire with him. He's a friendly and very helpful fella and I bet he'd be happy to help.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:27 PM
jrspringer06
Tourer

Those are 9.5s on the bike in your avatar? I am leaning towards 12.5s.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:14 AM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure what they mean about the weight issue? I mean it's not like the bars are like an anvil up there. I am sure they weigh more than 1 inch bars but after being mounted on the bike could you really tell? Like I said. I am not sure what they are refering to. Might be something I don't know about. I have heard... that over time and I am not sure how much that the 1 1/4 inch bars have been known to crack at the step down area. It must not be to big of an issue though or we would see it posted here and a company such as Wild Ones we would be hearing more about. I have heard that though so it's prolly worth mentioning but I am more likely to think that it might be a problem with some cheaper aftermarket bars.

My preference would be 1 1/4 all the way around. But that market just isn't big enough yet to make it competitive.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:18 AM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member

Those are 9.5s on the bike in your avatar? I am leaning towards 12.5s.
Yes, they're 9.5 SPRINGER apes. Springer bars have a different riser off-set then regular bars. The risers are closer together. I think Chubby's only makes 9.5" for the springer. 12.5 and 16 are available in both as far as I know. I still don't know what weight issues there would be.

EDIT: Never mind about the sizes... duh... maybe I need more coffee this morning... you have a Springer!

Old 10-31-2007, 08:13 AM
jrspringer06
Tourer

06 Springer Classic

Quick Reply: HD FAT MINI- APE HANDLEBARS