Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daughter wants to ride and I need some input

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 05:31 PM
Fla Glide
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Daughter wants to ride and I need some input

Thanks guys for alot of good advice, She has been riding with me she she was old enough to reach the pegs. She understands the risks and accepts it everytime she gets on the back of mine. She is 18 and a mature tomboy .. She also loves going Bass Fishing and would not quit bugging me to teach her how to drivemy Bass Boat. She takes her jeep liberty 4x4 mudding on the weekends when she can. She has a good head on her shoulders and I dont worry about her decisions. She is taking theSafety Courseat Orlando Harley.
The Sporty is too top heavy for a beginner bike ( I had one) The Springer is a street version witha 21" front wheel alot like a wide glide.I dont have he option of buying a training bike thenanother one later on. With good instruction anyone can learn to ride a bigger bike, The controls are the same, once the bike is rolling the weight of the bike is not a issueand as long as you are smart and ride within your capabilities you will be fine. I plan on riding many miles with her and pass on all that I can to ensure that she rides safely.

ORIGINAL: xlc06

Thats just stupid. Maybe you forgot what its like to be a beginner. She needs a safty class, and a a few months in a parking lot on a very small bike. Maybe after a while she could move to an 883 low.Yea she might be fine on a springer, but do you really want to risk it and find out? Maybe you people don't see all those little white crosses on the side of the road with all the nice flowers. Maybe you haven't seen the result of a novice rider taking a turn too fast or too slow. Riding a motorcycle is a stupid place for pride, and wanting your own daughter to start out on a harley so you can be proud is not wise. Kids look to their parents for advice, she is looking up to her dad to steer her in the right direction. Nobody ever regretted starting out slow, learning the basics, and having a solid foundation on a bike they could handle with ease. If you want your daughter to ride you have to ask yourself if you are ready to see her die, if you are not advise against it. If you are willing to take the risk make sure she gets the best instruction and starts on a good beginner bike. Harley doesn't make one.
xlc06... I do remeber what is was like to be a beginner I learned to ride on a 1970 something Honda 350 four. A 883 is a top heavy bike and not worth a damn on the highway.. I my opinion they cant get out of their own way and that in it self makes it dangerous. I have seen many novice riders I am sure you were one at one time as well... But I guess you never took a turn too fast or too slow it's called experience you have to get on the road to get it... As for starting out on HD it is not a pride thing with me SHE asked for a HD..... As for your other statement I guess because someone rides they are gonna die? If that bothers you Park Yours. I believe that when your time is up it is up, does not matter what you are doing at that time.. out riding bikes, watching a ball game or or mowing your yard.
The best I can do for my kids is give them advice,guidance and supportwhen asked.. The worst thing I can do is tell them what to do.

Here is a Pic of my tomboy going to the prom.. She couldnt wait toget back in jeans

Old 10-29-2007, 06:00 AM
xlc06
Advanced

I hope it all works out and she is safe. I would still recommend a smaller used beginner bike. Something easy to handle. Sometimes you can find a great deal on a small used bike fix it up a little shine it up and sell it for more than you paid, then get a nice second bike that will last a few years. For the record I diddn't say that anyone was going to die, but weall risk death and great bodily injury when we decide to ride, everyone has to decide for themself if it is worth it. This is not a girl issue either, I know a few 250+ poundguys that have gotten hurtvery bad in their first 6 months of riding.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:14 AM
jamesf0622
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My first bike was a dirtbike that I bought in '04, and that was the only summer I rode it because I was shipped off to Korea. And even that was cut short because I broke my wrist. When I got back to the states I was sent to a post that didn't have any places to ride it. My plan was to get a used import bike like a shadow or something. But I made the mistake of going to a HD dealership where I saw my "Grail." I couldn't control my impulse. This is my "starter" bike. I think it was the best move I could possibly do too. After the first few days I already knew had I got something smaller I would have regretted it. The NT is WAY easier to ride IMO opinion then my dirtbike and those little bikes at the MSF ridercourse. I have been through that course twice. Once in '04 and once after I got my NT. I am planning on the Advanced course as well.

My point here is she doesn't need a 250 rebel or something retarded. She just needs a good attitude, common sense, and lots of awareness. I'm not a veteran in riding by any means. I have had my bike for 9 months and have a little over 7000 miles. (I've been kind of slacking the past couple months.)

The HD dealersip had let me ride a sporty while the paperwork was going through on the NT. Day and Night difference. It was a purchase I will never regret.

Oh and don't let the sig pic fool you. I don't normally ride like an azzhole. I just think that shot looked cool.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:13 AM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

Starter bike = Honda rebel 250 .

Old 10-29-2007, 08:25 AM
davered51
Cruiser

hate to say metric but a yamaha v-star 650 for a year or two

Old 10-29-2007, 11:42 AM
Chart
Novice

If I were in your shoes, I'd get her a used dirt bike, (and maybe one for myself also so we could ride together), and have her log a lot of hours racing around in fields where there is no traffic to worry about. She could learn how motorcycles handle, get the clutch/brake/shift/throttle thing down pat before worrying about killing it in an intersection. Push the limits of her and the motorcycles abilities and have nice soft dirt to fall on instead of hard pavement under a car. Learn to do a wheelie and jump the dirt bike, because the ballance that requires will help her later on a road bike. (It's also fun.) That way when it's time to graduate to the street, she can focus all her attention on traffic and defensive driving, and not have to "think" how to drive the motorcycle. Maybe it's just that I grew up in the country and dirt bikes were common, but all these people suggesting learning to ride a motorcycle on the streets, well I just think that's nuts. Good luck to both of you.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:57 AM
rockerhead
Road Captain

OK here comes MY invaluable .02 cents. How bout a V-ROD ? Its low, easy to ride and it's still a Harley crotch rocket

Old 10-29-2007, 04:42 PM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

jeez! I wish my parents had been able to buy me a harley when I was a kid! I had to get my own.. I learned to ride on an old Honda I got for free - not quite a softail springer! I'm glad, too. I dropped that Honda quite a few times learning what not to do on a bike.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:24 PM
97FXSTSB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

A Springer is a well-balanced, great handling bike, but pretty heavy for a first-timer girl. A Suzuki C-50 Boulevard (800cc) would be a great first bike for her size. Much lighter, easy to handle at slow speeds, fast/big enough for the highway.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:22 AM
Shaw_2112
Cruiser

Gonnna give ya my .02. It all depends on your daughter, some people can handle a big bike right out of the gate some need to work up to it after a little experience. My advice is go to her MSF classes and watch her, then maybe let her take your bike for a ride after in the parking lot. See how she handles herself then make your decision...

Quick Reply: Daughter wants to ride and I need some input