Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daughter wants to ride and I need some input

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 06:14 AM
TraumaKing
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Daughter wants to ride and I need some input

A Springer or other V-twin ( Low center of GRAVITY)in the same class is a hell of a lot more balanced, stableand user freindly than a Sportster!!!( TOP HEAVY)Personally I would let them go with Springer just let them take their time and slowly get use to the bike as anyone would with a new vehicle
I do support the rider saftey course if that has not been addressed. That is a given.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:14 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You didn't mention her age, and that is all part of your overall impressions (as her dad) of her maturity. I think anyone can learn from scratch to ride any bike. Some bikes would be easier.

The MSF course you mention is, of course, a great first step, but personally, I would enact many additional guidelines as time progressed. Maybe set an odometer target, or time period, or both, where she is only allowed on her bike when you guys are together. Daytime only. I am approaching the same delema with my 28 year old daughter who lives in Maryland. She wants to learn, and she wants a Harley.

I told my gal that I would prefer that she started on a smaller, low frame bike (unidentified); and would have to ride beside me for 3000 miles in the daytime before she could ride off on her own. At 28, she could (obviously) do whatever she wants, but I gently reminded her that I am in my prime years for my first heart attack- did she want to be the reason? ha ha.

Good luck with this new chapter in your life!

My daughteris visiting me this weekend, here's a pic of her I took yesterday:

Old 10-28-2007, 10:20 AM
Scurvy Jack
Tourer

There's nothing stupid about it!!! We all remember what it was like as a beginner. Did you start out on a 250 Rebel or something that size and ride it around a parking lot for months until you got the nerve up to get out on the street? How many bikes did you go through until you got the one you're on? These comments on this topic are all valid and good advice. I started riding almost 30 years ago and I still remember what that first ride was like. You learn nothing but slow control in a parking lot...which is good...but true learning comes from attending a bike school like she is planning on doing AND having a good riding partner that is smart enough to know how to work her along in her riding process. That means no group rides, plenty of street riding, and lots of time keeping the mouth shut and ears open when more experienced riders talk about what to do in situations that are Guaranteed to happen. Here in SoCal my wife was more scared of riding the Rebel on the streets than getting on a bigger bike. She spent plenty of time...and still does...practicing in parking lots. I still spend time practicing in parking lots. Pride?? Of course, but only that she's on a bike and wanting to ride. My wife knows and so do my kids that riding can kill us. But does that stop us from doing what we like to do? If being afraid to die prevented me from doing activities I wouldn't be rock climbing, riding motorcycles, skydiving, caving, or flying to other countries.
Oh...I forgot...my beginner bike was a neighbor's '41 FL that I had to learn how to kickstart before he let me on it, I also had to learn how to adjust the carb at the same time to keep it idling. How old was the neighbor? 71 and riding hard on asphalt and dirt roads. I learned to ride on the dirt roads first. My second bike was a '64 Panhead with a 10" over front end, chopped and bobbed, spray painted flat black.
That's my .02 worth.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:23 AM
agapsdiver
Road Master
Received 126 Likes on 53 Posts

You don't mention if she has ever ridden before...if she hasn't buy her the Springer... but don't let her "ride" it until she has several
thousand miles on a used (good condition) 350-500 cc jap bike.
I started out with a Honda 50 in high school, then a Honda 90, Honda 450....etc... Finally bought a Harley and couldn't be happier...but I'm sorry, for safety's sake I would never start out a person "new" to riding on a 600 lb. bike..trying to coordinate left hand clutch, right hand throttle, right hand brake, left foot....etc....
Maybe my buddy's friend who is 6'5", 250 lbs....who has never ridden..he can do what he wants...
But my daughter, no way....she's going to go "slow" and learn to ride first before getting on any 600 lb. bike in city traffic.

IMHO....best wishes

Old 10-28-2007, 10:30 AM
Scurvy Jack
Tourer

What's the difference in bike's if you still have to do the eye/hand/foot thing on either one? For my wife, the smaller bikes were too squirrelly(sp?) The acceleration was too quick for her being a new rider and she almost got dumped a couple of times. Sometimes weight has the advantage over smaller and lighter. My wife had plenty of the coordination practice. Even before she took her riding class I had her on my bike...tied up on the jack...shifting gears, clutching and throttle control in the driveway. The smaller bikes still scared her.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:41 AM
Guilty
Outstanding HDF Member

My 24 year old son't first bike is a 2008 Street Bob and he is doing fine with his "starter bike". He had very little experience riding a dirt bike when he was in his early teens and recently took the MSF course. The most important thing would be that your daughter feels comfortable sitting on the bike. Can she touch the ground flat footed, can she reach the controls easily, is she intimidated by the bike at all. The Springer brakes shouldn't be that much of a concern, apply the brakes and they stop. If she takes it slow the first few months and becomes familiar with the bikeor if she rides with someone else until she is a confident rider all should be fine.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:30 AM
txgeezer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with most of the advise you have gotten. MSF course, throw away would be good but if not make sure you ride with her and control the difficulty of her rides. Good saddle time and daughter/dad time. If she has been riding with you before and takes the course she should have a clue.

My wife has had a Honda throw away, 2 Sportys, Heritage, Dynaand a 93 Springer she put about 30K miles on. Of them all she liked the Springer the best, felt and looked the most comfortable on it, especially in the low speed parking lot turn and backing dept. It's a GREAT bike and it sucks that the only one they make like it now is the expensive hopped up one.

Oh yeah - buy her a big stick because there is nothingthat draws attention like a good looking woman driving a Springer.......ask me how I know <G> That's what she drove when I met her.

[IMG]local://upfiles/39178/FFEE2098DD36457E93DBD26CDE2CF2AD.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/39178/D7E45DAC59DB47DC91CD8DC854D9A740.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-28-2007, 12:08 PM
aliandray
Cruiser

I would agree with all the sentiments, especially the "top Heavy" Sportster bit. The big Twins are easier to ride, but slower handling. As long as she does a reputable biking course no reason not to enjoy the Springer for a long time - and think of all the bits she can get to bling it up.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:39 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

One thing that hasn't been mentioned (at leastI don't think so) is that getting smaller bikes to work up to the Springer will cost a lot more than replaceing a few scratched up parts if (or I should say when) she does manage to drop it.
Getting some decent looking crash bars while she gets through the learning curve and you can even keep that to a reasonably low level. They will also help to keep that big heavy bike off her cause sure as God made little green apples sooner or later no matter what bike she's on the odds are its going down.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:11 PM
eagle56
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find the F/Boy so easy to ride weight distrubution is spot on.
Used to ride a Honda pan cracking bike lighter than the HD but very easy to get in trouble with , if it when over you could easily lose it.
Never have any probs with the harley a confident starter will find it easy.

Quick Reply: Daughter wants to ride and I need some input