Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neutral/Clutch Switch Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 01:45 PM
bikereef
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neutral/Clutch Switch Question

I am in the middle of installing custom chrome housings on my '07 fatboy and need help on what to do with the clutch switch (it is not used witht these aftermarket housings). Can I just remove the entire switch with wires from the harness? Will this be OK on the bike's electrical system? I suspect it will be OK but need some confirmation. TIA

Old 10-28-2007, 02:08 AM
DanDeuce
Road Captain
Default RE: Neutral/Clutch Switch Question

Clutch switch , whats that ? My 04 starts in gear , clutch out , must be an improvement on newer models .

Old 10-28-2007, 08:31 AM
bigjako
Advanced

I am gettiing ready to do the same thing. I hope someone has an answer. I would think that the wires could just be cut.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:12 PM
spooner
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The switch allows you to start the motorif the transmission is in gear by squeezing the clutch handle which closes the circuit. If you want the ability to do that with aftermarket controls, you will have to splice the wires to that switch together. It won't hurt anything by doing that. Since I no longer have a clutch handle ( now have a foot clutch ), I either have to always start in neutral or manually depress the switch in my handlebar with my finger if I want to start in gear.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:15 PM
bikereef
Advanced

Spooner that is one sick clutch set up, very cool! Thanks for the tip, I will solder the wires together.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:46 PM
Mother
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I think it might be safer to eliminate the switch and tape the wires off seperately,rather than connecting them. Then it will have to be in neutral to start it. The other way you'll be able to start it in gear without the clutch pulled in lke Dan said about his 04.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:52 PM
rocky28
Cruiser

i ran into the same problem with my 07 custom. all i did was drill a hole to alow the switch to fit in the housing. i did that becouse i was not sure if i cut my wires if that would void part of my waranty. due the the fact i have all ready had some electral problems on my bike

Old 10-29-2007, 03:21 PM
Midwest Muscle
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I definitely wouldn't want it to where you could start it in gear with the clutch engaged - That's an accident waiting to happen IMO.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:43 PM
rocky28
Cruiser

with the way i set it up with putting a hole in the housing my bike will not start unless i am in neutral. i can be in gear and pull the clutch in and the bike will not start. i have to be out of gear. and i kinda like that my self becouse it makes it a little harder for anyone else to start the bike if they do not know that hehe

Old 10-29-2007, 08:06 PM
Mother
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Rocky, if you have to be out of gear for it to start even with the clutch pulled in then it doesn't sound like the clutch lever is fully depressing the switch. On a stock bike it WILL start when in gear as long as the clutch is pulled in. That is the switch's function.

Quick Reply: Neutral/Clutch Switch Question