Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superbrace install

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 03:11 PM
JeffreyLebowski
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Superbrace install

My fork brace just arrived at my door. Any installation pitfalls? Anyone put a Superbrace on a Deuce? It looks like a well made item. Anyone have any handling weirdness after a fork brace installation? Thanks.

Jeremy

Old 10-19-2007, 06:43 PM
Renegade1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Superbrace install

I installed one on my bike, haven't had a chance to ride it yet. The brace itself has 5 threaded holes for hardware. Mine came with two allen screws, just went and bought 5 black allen screws at the hardware store. It looks like a quality piece, I'll be going for a ride tomorrow.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:52 PM
JeffreyLebowski
Road Captain

Well, I put it on. All the screws were present and accounted for. I had a small issue freeing up the chrome fork seal covers, but some careful tapping knocked it loose. It seemed it fit exactly as it should. The chrome fork seal covers are a little loose fitting over the fork brace. I might use some some sort gasket sealer or whatever to keep them from rattling around. I plan on riding it Sunday. I might do Skyline drive, or there's a bike festival in Rock Hall MD- either way there should be some good curves to throw it into to really see if I got my $$ worth out of it.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:25 PM
twiceretired
Tourer

I'm curious about why you went with the brace. Any other modifications, such as shocks or springs? And what tires are you using? I did the Progressive up front and 422's in the rear, and put on Metzler tires. Right now I can out run my buddies Yamaha FJR's (two of them) in the corners, and went a few rounds with a Yamaha R1. Couldn't take him on the straight, but hung on his butt through some high speed curves. Anxious to hear how the brace works. That's my last effort at improving cornering at 80-90 where I have an oscillation. Thanks.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:05 PM
agapsdiver
Road Master
Received 122 Likes on 52 Posts

I would advise you to use loctite on any screws/bolts that hold it on.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:57 PM
JeffreyLebowski
Road Captain

Why I went with the brace? It was sort of a whim. I was thinking to myself that inverted forks were cool, why doesn't HD beef up the forks, then hey, check it out, super brace for 25% off. No shocks or springs of note. Stock HD tires. The brace was only $130.00 with shipping. I figure if it doesn't give me much improvement, oh well. It's cheaper than most other mods. I'm due for new tires probably right around late spring next year- will probably go with Metztlers then. I used to have a Kawi ZRX 1200. I could really sling that bike through the curves, and it wasn't even a true sport bike in my book. I don't expect the Deuce to do that, but whatever sort of incremental improvement I can get from easy mods I'll take. I'll let you guys know how it faired Sunday. I'm not taking on any FJR's or R1's, so don't get your hopes up.

ORIGINAL: twiceretired

I'm curious about why you went with the brace. Any other modifications, such as shocks or springs? And what tires are you using? I did the Progressive up front and 422's in the rear, and put on Metzler tires. Right now I can out run my buddies Yamaha FJR's (two of them) in the corners, and went a few rounds with a Yamaha R1. Couldn't take him on the straight, but hung on his butt through some high speed curves. Anxious to hear how the brace works. That's my last effort at improving cornering at 80-90 where I have an oscillation. Thanks.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:41 AM
jf
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

thinking of ordering one of these myself, would like to know if you can tell any difference.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:10 PM
Renegade1
Cruiser

Okay, went for a decent ride. The bike felt more stable if that makes sense. Probably in my own mind but it looks good and wasn't expensive.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:26 PM
JeffreyLebowski
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Renegade1

Okay, went for a decent ride. The bike felt more stable if that makes sense. Probably in my own mind but it looks good and wasn't expensive.
I have basically the same report. I noticed that the bike doesn't get "grabbed" by grooves in the road now and it takes bumps better. Not the result I expected, but I'll take it. It does feel a little more stable in turns, but this is a subtle effect, and like Renegade said it might a placebo effect. I probably don't push the bike hard enough into turns to notice a big difference.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:31 PM
serge627
Road Master

Post up a pic of it on your Deuce for us.

Quick Reply: Superbrace install