Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFI vs Carb

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 11:41 PM
rde
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFI vs Carb

I'm considering a new 2006 FLSTF. What are the pros and cons of going with EFI? I know the maintenance is higher on fuel injected engines, but performance should be increased. What are other considerations? At most I will probably only add HD slip on slash down mufflers and change the stock wheel option.

I appreciate any thoughts. I am not mechanically inclined enough to really know the advantages beyond the small performance improvement.

Old 12-13-2005, 12:36 AM
roughneck266
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: EFI vs Carb

I don't really see where EFI would increase maintenance at all. Really the only "drawback" I can think of is the expense of the MAPS and fuel controllers like the Revtech and Power commander , etc... There are really good reasons for both, for me I like the fact that on a cold morning, my ride starts like a champ. No choke no nuttin! Again the carbs have there own set of advantages like being able to change your fuel setup with basically a new set of jets and a little bit of knowledge.

Old 12-13-2005, 12:46 AM
sidewinder
Cruiser

I think there is more maitenance on a carb then a EFI. I have a buddy with a carb unit and he is always messin with it. It also goes through plugs which becomes both a pain and expensive. His carb has to be adjusted when changing altitudes or it runs a little off. A EFI runs, starts and is a little more reliable IMO. On the other hand a carb allows you to make some adjustments, so if your into that then maybe a carb is for you. All HD bikes are going to EFI. Whether it is because of regulations or reliability who knows. I do know that I have had much better luck with other engines that are fuel injected. You can't even buy a carburated auto anymore and soon to be the same with MC. It is nothing but EFI for me on anything it is available on. This is just my humble opinion. Good luck on your decision.

Old 12-13-2005, 12:47 AM
Cigar Aggie
Road Master

EFI all the way....I didn't give it a second thought....

Old 12-13-2005, 01:38 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

For me, there is none of that jumpiness between cold and not quite warmed up yet either.

Starts right away works for me!

Oh, and then you have the ability to forget to turn off the enrichener (choke) with a carb. That will kill your mileage and your plugs.

One benefit of the carb is the reserve valve. On EFI, out is out, so you gotta pay attention somewhat. Since my gauge isn't good for crap, it means filling every 120 miles or so just to be sure.

Old 12-13-2005, 02:45 AM
Flying Pilgrim
Road Master

EFI was my choice. I doubt that one has better performance than the other (in stock or mildly modified engines). EFI is easier, no fuss, no muss. You don't have to guess when to turn off the enrichment (choke), thereby lessening the chance of running rich for too long and fouling your plugs. If you do mods to your bike, it's about the same: either you change jets or you remap your prom chip. The EFI is cheaper this year than it was last year, and I've heard guys say the carb may not be available in the future.

Old 12-13-2005, 02:51 AM
Otter

ORIGINAL: Flying Pilgrim
...... and I've heard guys say the carb may not be available in the future.
It's my understanding from my local stealer all carbs will be replaced by EFI ASAP on new models...

Old 12-13-2005, 12:30 PM
Bannana Boat
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Unless you are planning on heavy mods, I would go the EFI route.

Old 12-13-2005, 02:56 PM
Crazy Canuck
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys
I personally use the enrichner just to start the bike
then I open the throttle a touch , lock it with the throttle
lock and push the enrichner back in. This all takes about
20 to 30 seconds. What A drag.

Crazy Canuck[sm=smokin.gif]

Old 12-13-2005, 04:29 PM
Tiffy
Advanced

Maintenance higher on EFI ? What maintenance ? I like the EFI because there's no messin with it. I've cleaned alot of dirty carbs on dirt bikes and the like in my day and it's a pain in the **S. Hey, can anyone tell me what maintenance there is for the EFI please, I would really like to know if I should be doing something over the winter with it or whatever. Does this extra maintenance have to do with the injection system itself or some other component of the fuel system, or what?

Quick Reply: EFI vs Carb