Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD and Shaft drive

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007 | 09:09 PM
shortfatboy
Banned
Default RE: HD and Shaft drive

well said TR, and the next time someone says "it sounds like a Harley", and it really sounds like a coffee can full of marbles, just kick them in the nuts area!!! HD has made it over 100 years without radiators and drive shafts...Jeeezus!!!

Old 10-21-2007 | 09:39 PM
VtBlackDog
Cruiser

if they go to shaft and or radiator, I'll be getting a LOT more miles out of my '05.

Old 10-21-2007 | 09:48 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior

I read that Buell is working on a new water-cooled motor, and that should be out next year. I'm sure the R&D will be shared and considered within the Motor Company.
Buell already has a water cooled engine in the new 1125R. Production for the first round of shipping bikes was to begin this past week but apparently has been delayed. In any event, it was a joint venture with between Buell and Rotax and based on an article in last month's Cycle World, Harley had relatively little involvement other than to "approve" the joint efforts.

Note that the 1125 is belt driven. Way cool.

Old 10-21-2007 | 09:55 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior

Even BMW has gone belt drive on some of their bikes and they invented shaft drive for bikes!
And 84 years later, they still are having reliability issues with the final drive. Although in all fairness, BMW's Paralever system is sweet - it pretty much eliminates the "jacking" that is characteristic of a shaft drive under acceleration.

Old 10-21-2007 | 09:56 PM
XfasteddieX
Tourer

belt drive radiator drive shaft it dont matter to me ill ride honda harley yamerhamer ect ect its all two wheels the wind in my face feals the same nomatter what im ridding my last two were harleys who knows what the next one will be only reason i went with harley on the last two was because i didnt have to pay that rediculas bs price for them 13k for my 01 heritage & 10 k for my 05 eglide standard .allthough nobody makes a tourbike that will compare to the looks of an eglide

Old 10-21-2007 | 10:04 PM
XfasteddieX
Tourer

my neighbors lastthree were bmw's he is about to buy his fourth over 100k ontwo of the three no issues what so ever but those engines are noisey every time we stop at a light tap tap tap i can hear it over my straight fishtails[&:]

Even BMW has gone belt drive on some of their bikes and they invented shaft drive for bikes!
And 84 years later, they still are having reliability issues with the final drive. Although in all fairness, BMW's Paralever system is sweet - it pretty much eliminates the "jacking" that is characteristic of a shaft drive under acceleration.
[/quote]

Old 10-22-2007 | 06:33 AM
TurtleRacing
Cruiser

OK, I don't give a flyin whatever, BMW is by far the dumbest looking yuppie POS I've ever seen. Don't care how good or innovative they are! They could be the best thing since sliced bread, if I couldn't fit a bag over it I wouldn't ride it!

well said TR, and the next time someone says "it sounds like a Harley", and it really sounds like a coffee can full of marbles, just kick them in the nuts area!!! HD has made it over 100 years without radiators and drive shafts...Jeeezus!!!
I'm with you there!! Right in the NADS!!!

Ya know, I don't care what anybody rides, I don't care that they spend all their time tryin to look like HD, even going as far as to remove the badges so the general joe blow moron thinks it's a HD, why the heck do we have to listen to the, why doesn't HD do this, or that? My wannabe is so much better cause it was 'x' amount cheaper. People please! As far as I'm concerned, if you're on a bike, you're ok with me, but quit making excuses about the bike you ride or trying to justify why you bought that bike!
As far as someone saying, I'lll ride whatever, doesn't matter, as long as it's 2 wheels and the right price, someone like you would never understand!

Old 10-22-2007 | 07:28 PM
agedwards63
Road Master

I think Harley will go shaft drive just to sell the chrome pumpkin and shaft kit they don't make enough on them belt guards

Name:  HeritageRegular.jpg
Views: 1658
Size:  54.0 KB

Old 10-08-2017 | 06:23 PM
Freyja
Stage II
Talking Shaftdrive

Originally Posted by deadeye
I've had 3 shaft bikes, 2 BMWs and a Kawasaki. I'd rather have a belt. Its lighter, you don't have to change the shaft oil, no shaft jacking effect, and is cheap to replace. Even BMW has gone belt drive on some of their bikes and they invented shaft drive for bikes! Belt width used to limit tire width, but not anymore with the improved thinner belts.
Uh-hem....BMW did NOT invent shaft drive, other companies were doing it 20 years before BMW adopted it. Shaft drive is less maintenance, much easier to change oil in shaft drive than to replace a belt, and with synthetic oils changes are rarely needed. After break-in period oil change, my shaft bikes' oil looks as new as when I put it in after tens of thousands of miles.

Old 10-08-2017 | 07:32 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Freyja
Uh-hem....BMW did NOT invent shaft drive, other companies were doing it 20 years before BMW adopted it. Shaft drive is less maintenance, much easier to change oil in shaft drive than to replace a belt, and with synthetic oils changes are rarely needed. After break-in period oil change, my shaft bikes' oil looks as new as when I put it in after tens of thousands of miles.
Hello Freja, and welcome to the Forum! If you look at the dates of the other posters, you will notice that this particular thread about the shaft drives is 10 years old.

Quick Reply: HD and Shaft drive