Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFI Fuel filter.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007 | 05:23 PM
Milwaukee Steal
|
Intermediate
Default EFI Fuel filter.......

I have an "05 Fuel injected Heritage. Stock. I bought it new. Now has 37,000 and the fuel filter in the tank is beginning to show signs of being difficult to blow through. At 22,000 miles I tried to buy a new filter from the stealer and was told "we haven't sold a single filter for a softail in the last 5 years. So you probably don't need to change it out." Owner's manual says change it at 25,000. So, now I have 37,000 and have the tank off anyway for another reason and figured I would change the filter while I'm in the neighborhood. The service dept guy said it doesn't need to be changed because they aren't like a car's filter. He's never done one on a bike in a couple years. I asked him how they could be different than a car. (they look just like a car's filter (canister with in inny and an outy but it does plug into a regulator via an o-ring fitting). It basically is an inline filter that is inside the tank. filter was very difficult to get loose from the fuel hose. All this is inside the tank. Has anybody replaced one before, and how do I go about getting the pump assembly out as well because I have to disconnect the other end of the hose as I buggered the filter end a bit getting it loose. Looks like the ship in the bottle sort of thing. Does anybody have a trick that I need to learn to get this out? And how might this filter be different than a car's? The same gas goes thru it and needs to be filtered. I'm wondering if everybody is getting the same "don't need to change it ever" line and in a couple years when more fuel injected bikes start getting a few more miles on them, there will be severe heck to pay by needing the stealer to change it out for you. Meanwhile your bike will shutdown when it can't get gas any more.......seems to me........

Old 10-12-2007 | 05:36 PM
rbabos
Banned
Default RE: '05 EFI Heritage fuel filter question....

There should be some way to do a fuel flow test at the quick disconnect on the tank. If the flow is good the filter isn't plugged enough to worry about. Ride on. A good wrench will know how. On cars etc there is a safety switch that shuts the pump off if the flow exceeds normal with a rapid pressure drop , as in taking the line off the injector rail to run fuel out of the line. I haven't studied the electrical on that area to know if HD is that sophisticated. Like I said a good wrench will know how to disable this for the check if it exists.
Ron

Old 10-13-2007 | 11:18 AM
Milwaukee Steal
|
Intermediate

thanks for the reply. I guess now that I am thinking more about it, the flow wouldn't be near as much as in a car because it doesn't have to supply a larger volume (40 mpg versus maybe 15, etc) and it is all right there inside the tank (versus having to push itclear up to the engine and back to the fuel tankvia small piping.) So, guess it could get by being just as plugged as a car filter and still functioning. I do know that having 55,000 miles on my pickup filter still functioned but about turned my face red when I tried blowing thru it. blow thru a brand new one and it is absolutely free flowing. Won't have anybody do a flow test as I think I know myself at this point. Got the new filter/and inside hose, clamps, plate gasket/new screws, etc. Cost me the heavy side of $90 but am starting back with a brand new filter. Plus I got the pump/assembly out of the tank yesterday with the advice of my friendly neighborhood 'stealer' that used to work as the service writer and is now at the parts counter. Young guy that has lots of wrench experience, enjoys that much better actually, but was very helpful. He told me about the spring affair and how to extend it and 'pull the ship out of the bottle', so to speak. Worked just like he said. Now at least I can confirm what the inside of the whole tank, fuel gauge system, etc looks like. Make sure the tank is sparkly clean, etc. And know my system!!! That is worth the investment in my book. If I have an issue out on the road, I don't want to be at the mercy of someone to fleece me. Thanks for your help. You sound like you have quite a bit of experience and that is where I hope to be one day.

Old 10-13-2007 | 03:20 PM
rbabos
Banned

Good job. Nothing like knowing what's in there and how it all works. How was the old filter and the pump sock and how much crud was in the tank when you cleaned it? Just curious.
Ron

Old 10-13-2007 | 10:35 PM
Milwaukee Steal
|
Intermediate

Ron, really it wasn't so bad in there. a few paint flakes, bits of this and that, but on the whole, pretty clean. The filter was getting a bit difficult to blow thru. As opposed to the new one which was like it was hollow. But I replaced it anyway as you needed to put in new screws and new gasket. (Not worth the risk of fumes coming out of the tank and having a fire just because too cheap to put in a new gasket.) I can save the old filter however and use in an emergency if get a tank of bad gas. I keep a locking gas cap on it as I go in to prisons to do ministry and it is required so there wasn't any additions from anybody. No leaves, etc. like you find in older cars from Lord knows where. Did replace the hose also as it was included and pretty impossible to get the old one off intact. They are like iron. Quite a struggle to get everything back assembled and in the tank but hopefully the float and wire didn't get bent and it will work. One thing that is unique here is that the fuel gauge sending unit is always submerged regularly in gasoline so don't have to be concerned about corrosion building up on the sending unit like older cars and then just stop working from not making contact. Always gets cleaned with gas every tankful. The prefilter (sock) on the foot of the pump I went ahead and cleaned a bit with a toothbrush and fresh gas and blew it down with air and am choosing to just live with it. I figure it is a bit courser material and just knocks the big chunks off before pumping it thru to the main filter. Only way to get a new sock filter is with a new pump and that was a $165 part. So I elected not. This other stuff gives me good confidence that she will run solid for probably as long as I own the bike. But if I ever decide to change any of it again, I took lots of pics and made lots of personal notes in my shop manual. Makes a bit more clear for me. And like you say, I know the system inside and out now. Thanks for the reply. A lot of readers in this forum but not many responders by and large IMO. Ride safe and often. Murrel

Old 10-20-2007 | 07:37 PM
low loud phatboy
Intermediate

I found crap in the bottom of my tank and figured my filter needed changed.As my 01 Fatboy was running rough. The dealer told me the same thing. I put it all back together and it still ran fouled.I took it to the dealer and they ran some checks. it seems when I had it all apart and playing around with itI pinched a pin size hole in the line and it had to be replaced.Never did replace the filter and it runs just fine. amazing huh?