Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody live in Maryland?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 11:25 AM
T_Rob666
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody live in Maryland?

Looks like I'm getting orders for Fort Detrick, MD for next summer. I've never registered a bike there...anything I should know? I see by the chart that's in the monthly Easyriders, that I might have problems with my mini-apes? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

Old 10-09-2007, 11:38 AM
Velocity1
Tourer
Default RE: Anybody live in Maryland?

You'll need a MD state inspectionn of the bike. As for the mini apes....it's at the discretion of the inspector / inspection station. State law says the bars are not to be any higher than 15 or 18" above the seat, (I believe). In my experience, most bike shops that offer inspections, are usually pretty discretionary and rider friendly.... As long as the bike is safe and meets all the other state requirements.

You might want to Google MD, MVA and see what you can find out about transferring registration, application for tag and whether your current license is transferrable. I know MD used to allow license transfer from out of state, as long as it was done within a specified time. You may be forced to take the rider's test for a MD license. If that's the case, borrow a Honda Rebel. That's what the course was designed around. Most custom full size bikes are extremely difficult to manuver through the course, and a sport bike...forget it.

Been a MD resident all my life. Based this response on memory. The MD MVA site will probably be much more helpful and accurate.

Good luck at Fort Detrick.

Ride safe...

V1

Old 10-09-2007, 12:41 PM
ackackadak
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you need to take the MVA test you might consider taking the MRF class. Three days of instruction and you receive a certificate you turn in at the MVA in exchange for a MD permit

Old 10-09-2007, 02:57 PM
TraumaKing
Banned

If you are active military you may not have to even bother.........check it out before you give yourself a headache!

Old 10-09-2007, 03:21 PM
T_Rob666
Banned

I am active duty military...I'm coming from Germany. Do not bother with what?? I do have an MSF card...we're required to have it.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:11 PM
Trotter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If ya need I have a big fat pillow top seat for just that reason, It'll raise you 6" and pull the bars back for the Inspection ...then returnthe seat to me... It'll fit 06-07

Old 10-09-2007, 09:44 PM
20FXST06
Road Captain

Here's the MVA info regarding active duty military. Hope this will help.

Military Personnel Temporarily Stationed in Maryland[ul][*]If you are not establishing residency because you are only temporarily stationed in Maryland and you are a member of the armed forces of the United States or of the United States Public Health Service and you are on active duty in this State or an adjoining state or the District of Columbia, you do not need to register your passenger vehicle in this State if your vehicle is currently registered in your state of residence.[*]If you are establishing residency in Maryland you must title and register your vehicle within one year of moving to Maryland. If you delay beyond one year, you will not be eligible for a tax credit for any titling tax paid in another state, and you may be subject to a citation for an out-of-state registration.[/ul]

Old 10-10-2007, 12:51 AM
RiggidyRaw
Tourer

Welcome to the area! Hope that you enjoy your stay.