Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

saddle bags and seats....

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 06:59 AM
Jzabel
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default saddle bags and seats....

i'm looking for removable saddle bags that has some room...where has anyone found the best deal? Did you use EZ brackets or ghost brackets?

Seats...looking at a mustang with a back rest - purchase thru mustang website or go thru a dealer?

Old 10-09-2007, 01:17 PM
WillyHD
Road Master
Default RE: saddle bags and seats....

Good questions. I would like to read the responses also. Anyone?

Old 10-09-2007, 01:40 PM
bfrmbama
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got an '03 Fatboy with Boss Bags and a Mustang vintage seat with backrest (not the wide one).

I love both.

The bags I bought directly from boss - www.bossbags.com/. They weren't cheap but they work great and when removed,leave a very clean look. They use the phantom brackets.

The seat I got at www.realhog.com/. I got it for about a hundred bucks cheaper than I could if I bought it direct.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:36 PM
Jzabel
Tourer

Dude those bags are $1000?!?!?!?! I'm sure they are good but I can't justify a grand in some bags I'm not going to have on all the time...wow...

what the hell makes them so good besides the guy standing on them?

Old 10-09-2007, 06:03 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Its called, you get what you pay for. Boss bags are extremely well made, and durable as any could possibly be. You'll never need another set. You can buy cheaper, BUT, you get waht you pay for...

I bought Willie and Max bags for a FatBoy several years ago. The cost me about 300.00, and in less than 2 years, they were JUNK. they never held up, sagged like crazy, and even a strap broke from normal wear. I never overloaded them.

Bout Leatherworks bags for the Wifes Deluxe. Cost 900.00, they look as good today as the day I installed them almost 2 years ago. No nicks, no tears, no broken hardware of staps.

Way I see it, you can pay NOW, or you can pay even more later.

ORIGINAL: Jzabel

Dude those bags are $1000?!?!?!?! I'm sure they are good but I can't justify a grand in some bags I'm not going to have on all the time...wow...

what the hell makes them so good besides the guy standing on them?

Old 10-09-2007, 06:18 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ebay has some Softie bags. Nice set of Nostalgics just went out for $89.00. Worth over 6 bills. I have a set of premium leather bags that will fit a Softie or Dyna. They're from an older bike (99) but are almost new. HD part #90697-96, and they're not real big like the Heritage bags. These can be drilled out to match the Easy Brackets for your bike. PM me if you have an interest. Retail on these was $605.00.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:49 PM
Jzabel
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Trailfndr

Its called, you get what you pay for. Boss bags are extremely well made, and durable as any could possibly be. You'll never need another set. You can buy cheaper, BUT, you get waht you pay for...

I bought Willie and Max bags for a FatBoy several years ago. The cost me about 300.00, and in less than 2 years, they were JUNK. they never held up, sagged like crazy, and even a strap broke from normal wear. I never overloaded them.

Bout Leatherworks bags for the Wifes Deluxe. Cost 900.00, they look as good today as the day I installed them almost 2 years ago. No nicks, no tears, no broken hardware of staps.

Way I see it, you can pay NOW, or you can pay even more later.
I know you get what you pay for. I've just never seen bags that cost that much...didn't mean anything with my response...I was just curious as to what's so good about them...the grade of leather or customer service or warranty or what?

itileman, check your pm's...

Old 10-09-2007, 09:22 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I bought a Mustang seat straight form Mustang.
At the time shipping was free and no sales tax (and here in Texas sales tax is 8.125%)

Old 10-09-2007, 10:00 PM
harleybiker
Tourer

How about these bags....................

http://www.sideroadcycles.com/Import...therworks.html

hb

Old 10-10-2007, 01:09 AM
Tralfaz
Road Master

A slightly less expensive choice than the Boss Bags (but still not cheap) are the Leather Pros bags. I just got some for my Springer and they are pretty solid. They use a similar mounting system to the Boss Bags, so all you have left on the motorcycle to show they were there are maybe 3/4" long mounting posts. The top, back, sides, and all but the bottom 2/3 of the outside are reinforced with plastic so I shouldn't have to worry about them warping over time. The only problem I've found is that the holes on one bag are lined up a little tight with the posts on the fender strut, but I might be able to adjust the fender strut posts a little bit. The bag still fits, so it's not a critical problem.

In any case, here's a picture of my motorcycle with them on. Oh, and I looked long and hard at options from Boss Bags, Leather Works and others and just made the personal choice to go with these. I like the mounting system better than Easy Brackets (thus the move away from Leather Works), and the price was cheaper than Boss Bags. That, plus I could get a slightly bigger bag from Leather Pros (using the measuring method that Boss and Leatherpros use, the bags I got can fit 40 12oz cans, versus the Boss Bags that will fit 38 cans. Boss has bigger bags, but they all require a mounting plate on the side of the bike that I didn't want to have there.

In any case, here's a picture of my Springer with them on. I think they fit in pretty well and will be a lot nicer to travel with.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13542/5C4EC7CC5B6C414BA103A96F354581C2.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: saddle bags and seats....