Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

That new bike smell

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 07:00 AM
iwant1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default That new bike smell

Softails are my favourite bike, and just like the login says i want 1, bad.

I've ridden heaps of Jap bikes but yesterday I wen't down to the local HD dealer here in Canberra Australia, (Robbo's), and sat on a Harley for the first time (I'm Unlicenced at the moment so I couldn't ride it). That was just the best thing I've done for ages. I never thought you could better the "new car smell" but the "New Harley Smell" was sensational.

I'm so keen to buy a softail (standard or fatboy at this point), I sit on the bus on the way to and from work each day and dream about it. Every now and then some lucky bugger will cruise up alongside, the heart rate automatically goes up and I feel like giving a wave (I'm sure the response would be a finger though). Now if I can just convince my wife that it's a good idea...

Thanks to Robert at Robbos for giving me some solid advice.

Roll on 06.

Old 12-08-2005, 09:43 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: That new bike smell

The answer is to buy the wife her own bike

Old 12-08-2005, 02:44 PM
Flying Pilgrim
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait 'til you pull that new bike up in your drive, and smell 'er after she's good 'n hot from the ride home. After you silence the pipes to rest for a while, listen to that "ping, tick, tick, pop" noise of the metal parts cooling off and getting to know their rightful place while she rests. Inhale and enjoy the smell of the virgin paint baking from the heat for the first time. Sorry, gotta stop now, got a little carried away.

Old 12-08-2005, 11:00 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

I know how you feel about the bike thing. I wanted one for years and never was able to put everything together in a way that I could get one. I started watching the Biker buildoffs on the DSC channel and watching and listening to Indian Larry made me realize that I needed to get it in motion and not wait any longer. My wife knows that I have always wanted a Harley and she also knows that I am an impulsive person. I had been to the HD place a few times and one of the times that we went there, the salesman asked me what I wanted. I told him that I wanted a Black Springer. He said that they could get me one and I said, do it. My wife was a little surprised, but I said, didn't you really expect me to do this sometime anyway. She said, yes. She finally got over my whim and everything is cool. I got mine this year at the age of 54. The only regret that I had is that I wish that I could have gotten it sooner. Take your wife out for a spin on the back of a Harley and show her how much fun that it can be, it seems to work for a lot of people. Good luck

Old 12-09-2005, 03:00 AM
sidewinder
Cruiser

I too like softails as my signature will show. Good luck with your bike quest.

Old 12-09-2005, 04:09 AM
iwant1
Tourer

ORIGINAL: SPRINGER

I know how you feel about the bike thing. I wanted one for years and never was able to put everything together in a way that I could get one. I started watching the Biker buildoffs on the DSC channel and watching and listening to Indian Larry made me realize that I needed to get it in motion and not wait any longer. My wife knows that I have always wanted a Harley and she also knows that I am an impulsive person. I had been to the HD place a few times and one of the times that we went there, the salesman asked me what I wanted. I told him that I wanted a Black Springer. He said that they could get me one and I said, do it. My wife was a little surprised, but I said, didn't you really expect me to do this sometime anyway. She said, yes. She finally got over my whim and everything is cool. I got mine this year at the age of 54. The only regret that I had is that I wish that I could have gotten it sooner. Take your wife out for a spin on the back of a Harley and show her how much fun that it can be, it seems to work for a lot of people. Good luck
You know Springer, I had good look at a springer too (an 05 and an 06 I think). Bloody nice. I asked a lot of questions about them as well. The salesman reckoned that once you've ridden one , you never go back to a standard. Is that the case ? Do you notice a big difference riding one.

They sure do look awesome.

Old 12-09-2005, 04:10 AM
iwant1
Tourer

ORIGINAL: sidewinder

I too like softails as my signature will show. Good luck with your bike quest.
Sidewinder
That is one sweet machine. I bet you take the long way home huh ?

Old 12-09-2005, 10:06 AM
Tiffy
Advanced

I know what you mean about that "New bike smell". But it's not just the smell fo me but all the senses combined. The smell of the leather- wax- engine ect, the sound of the engine and pipes, the feel while you're riding, the sight of her shining in the sun, the taste (well maybe not). he,he

Old 12-09-2005, 10:10 AM
Fatbernie
Road Captain

Shhhhhhhh. Fat Boy, fat boy, fat boy, fat boy. But really, whatever you get and whenever you get it, it will be well worth the wait. It was like Christmas morning for me the day I picked it up. Bottom line......get it.

Old 12-09-2005, 10:07 PM
sfarson
Road Master

Great post iwant1. Make it happen. Nothing delivers memories like a Harley. FWIW, you have great roads to ride your Harley around on. I rented an Electra Glide out of Sydney in '01 following a business trip and had a fantastic time touring NSW. First night stayed in Bateman's Bay. Skirted Canberra going through Goulburn on my way up to Dubbo, and so forth. Met some great rides, on Harleys and on other makes. Again... make it happen.

Quick Reply: That new bike smell