Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fatboy to roadking ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 05:23 PM
rick
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default fatboy to roadking ?

This may have been asked before but i'll ask anyways.Those that have gone from a fatboy to a roadking,any regrets?Trying to see what's the opinion as to the different rides,was it worth the change,likes and dislikes.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:20 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: fatboy to roadking ?

Best to just have one of each.

I prefer my FatBoy, and with it's quick disconnect windshield, hardbags, and passenger back rest/luggage rack it can go from 'cruiser mode' to 'touring mode' almost instantly.

To me the FatBoy is a much better 'all around' bike, but then again, I only ride 1-up, and that makes a big difference.

I take my Road King out on some of the longer runs, and it is a long range cruising machine. It is larger and heavier than my FatBoy, but if I was riding 2-up, or if the majority of my riding was wide open interstate riding it would be a better choice than my Softail.

It really depends on what your requirements are, as both the FatBoy and Road Kings are great bikes.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:27 PM
gquist
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went the other way, Sold the 03 RoadKing Classic and bought a 08 FatBoy, For me it seemed like the thing to do because I mainly ran around town on short runs, I didn't need the storage of the bag's all the time, I only got 40 miles on the Fatboy so not much of a opinion yet but the motor is smooth, Almost "Jap" like, lol, The FB rear suspension is not as smooth as the RK but that is understandable, Fronts are similar, I will miss the electronic cruise of the RK, but like the lower seat and nimbleness of the FB, if you need the bags or plan on doing alot of highway, the RK is a bargin, Add up the cost of the windshield, bags, cruise, ect for a FB and the RK is alot cheaper ride, but for me i am happy with what I did.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:21 PM
Gucci
Novice

Rick, I understand your dilemma.

Yesterday a mate of mine from the north coast ofNew South Wales (about 500 milesnorth of Sydney) attendedTrivett Harley Davidson Sydney, where wehe test rode an '07 Roadking Classic (demo bike was equipped with Power commander, air filter and S & S pipes), the dealer (John Navarra-Smith) insisted I join my mate and I took out an '07 Fatboy (equipped with 103 kit) as he couldn't leave the dealership and didn't want my country bumpkin mate riding around Sydney unaccompanied.

During the hour test ride we changed bikes, my observations were as follows;

Rkwhilst stationary will convince you that you have Parkinson disease, however, once you take off...soooo smoooth.
Rk when you back-off on the throttle I noticed a tingling sensation through the floor boards (not evident on the Fb) - both abovementioned observations can be put down as balanced engine compared to unbalanced engine.
Rk running boardsappear to be mounted slightly higher and further back then the Fb.

Standard handlebars on Rktend to make you lean further forward then you do on Fb.

It is not all doom and gloom for the Rk, I really liked the twin front brakes, the seat was astonishing, the passing lights are bright and effective.

Rick, go ahead and get it, it is probably time for a new project.

Cheers
Gucci
Sydney

Old 09-25-2007, 10:24 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I've said it before:
Road King = SUV
Fat Boy = Sports Car

Which do you want?

Old 09-26-2007, 12:22 AM
FATBOYUSA
Tourer

Tough choice. I chose the 2008 FATBOY and I love it. The FATBOY has always been my dream bike. However, I loaded it up with options like the large sissybar with wide thick FATBOY sissybar pad, FATBOY saddlebags, luggage rack and detatchable windshield. The balanced engine is awesome. The factory seat is a great two up seating.
One of my best friends (actualy two, him and his wife) have gota 2005 ROADKING and I have to say that seeing there bike and the comforte level, storage, size and handling,plus there ease of ride on long trips, convinced me to trade in my SPORTSTER for my FATBOY. ThereROADKING is loaded also and an awesome bike. I realize that the suspension is different, mine is a softail, and theres is air ride and I am sure that it makes a difference, how much though don't know. The wheel towheel length is the same, but the ROADKING weighs more, which may also make a difference. I feel that you can'tgo wrong with either one.

[IMG]local://upfiles/37276/6604B22BF3734D219165B53E6988FC6D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-26-2007, 03:40 PM
FATBOYUSA
Tourer

Please let us know what you decide.