Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage As First Bike???

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 06:47 PM
campdreamer47
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Heritage As First Bike???

So those are the Vance and Hines long shot HS pipes you have there hey...they are nice. I'm almost sure they are what I will go with. I like it ..." dads turn to play"...never went down the having children road but I help raise some of my friends children. It was fun but I could walk away and they didn't cost me money. Still could not afford my Heritage until I was 47 though...I hope you enjoy many years of riding and adventure. I want to set out on a long ride someday soon with no perticular place in mind...that's my goal anyway.

Old 12-10-2005, 09:08 PM
SMenasco
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My suggestion is to get the Heritage or whatever large bike you want and not purchase a smaller bike. Weight doesn't mean anything as long as you point your eyes and head where you want to go, stay on throttle and rear brake and off the front brake at low speeds.

Campdreamer, riding is my retirement plan. My buddy and I will be on your turf next summer with a rigid planned route. However, we've agreed that the plan is subject to change at each and every intersection and coin flips are honored.

Old 12-11-2005, 07:13 AM
TEL8109
Cruiser

Good luck on your long trip's and be safe.

Old 12-11-2005, 12:43 PM
campdreamer47
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Menasco...good to hear from ya I hope we can hook up for a ride... or at least a chat while your on "The Rock". You say you got things planed out somewhat do you? Will I'm still going to send ya more info...I'm not good with keeping up with the writing though. I really like your retirement plan too and I'll flip a coin for ya. By the way have you beeg looking for material from here i.e. tourist brochures or anything. I could send you some info....if you could let me know your address by e-mail. My ride is stored for the winter now so I won't be going anywhere until at least May[:@].but by then I will be ready for a long trip. Take Care all.

Old 12-11-2005, 05:33 PM
Detour
Road Captain

Devil Ray, Don't be afraid of the Heritage as a first bike. Follow the advice of the others and take a MSF course and you'll be just fine. I agree with the Deluxe option, as well. I had a Deluxe last year and it was very balanced, it would fit you like a glove. I just bought a new Ultra and like it was stated above, it's REALLY big. Just rolling it around in the garage is like wrestling a gorilla.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide on!

Kurt

P.S. I've never really wrestled a gorilla, but this has to be close...

Old 12-16-2005, 04:15 PM
FLSTNI_Man_of_Steel
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Edmo
- Although well balanced, if you let that 700 lb Heritage start leaning when coming to a stop it can quckly get out of hand. To keep the bike straight up when stopping, look in the distance ahead of you and find something vertical to focus on...a hill can get your attention quickly if you are looking at the ground. This gains extra importance with the extra weight of passenger mounted high behind you. After some time in the saddle stopping and starting smoothly will be second nature...

AMEN to that. Good advice Edmo.

DevRay, I think you can see the consensus. Go for the Heritage. You'll love it. I wrestled with either a Heritage or a Deluxe (bags and windshield, or paint job and little more chrome....bags and windshield or paint job and little more chrome....bags and windshield or.... :-) ). As you can tell, I went with the Deluxe. I think either bike will make you very happy.

BE SURE AND RIDE SOLO until you're comfortable. Then low-traffic with passenger, THEN whenever, with whoever, you want!