Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage As First Bike???

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 10:43 PM
Fatboy69
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Heritage As First Bike???

Several people thought I was nuts for getting a Hayabusa for a first bike. I respected the bike and knew my limitations took it slow and drove very defensively. I stayed off busy roads for the first few months I had it and did not get on the highway until I felt comfortable with the controls and feel of the bike. I also took the motorcycle safety class that I learned a lot in too. Good luck.

Old 12-03-2005, 11:04 PM
WolfDog
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Heritage was my first bike, Fits me just right at 5'11"and 230.

Very Balanced, and very easy to Handle.

I did take a MSF rider course, and would recomend it. You learn a lot and it made riding the Harley easy by giving you the cofidence to get on and ride it.

My salesman told me to buy what I wanted, if you choose the smaller one Ill see you in 6-months when you want to trade it for a bigger bike.

Hes right on, buy what you really want the first time, unless you have a Money Tree in the yard somewhere.

Ride On.

Old 12-04-2005, 01:15 AM
sidewinder
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: SHEP

By the way, I am only 5'7 and almost 60 years old.
Have you considered the new deluxe? It is very similar to the Heritage only lower to the ground making it a good choice for us short guys! I have one and love it. You can add the bags, WS and whatever you need if desired. I have quick detach bags and WS. I have pics in my signature so you can see the similarities. Good luck with whatever you decide, you can't go wrong with either bike.

Old 12-04-2005, 10:40 AM
SoftailMatt05
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Heritage Classic - first bike in 15ish years and never really was an experienced rider.

I found the Heritage much much easier to ride than I expected. Does not feel heavy, at all.

I agree that considering the Deluxe would be a great option and can be easily dressed to look like a Classic. I am 5' 12" and find the Classic a perfect height; giving up 5" would probably make me consider a Deluxe and the fact that the Deluxe is just the coolest damn bike in the line-up!!

Take a MSF course and get want you want. If you buy a smaller bike and develop a bad habit, it will still be there with a heavier bike-only worse. Although buying a cheap used small bike is a great way to start, personally I think you'd be fine on the bike you want...

Old 12-04-2005, 11:01 AM
devrayfan
Stage II

I'm 5'11' and 231 lbs.. The riders course is required in my state before I can buy a new bike.

Old 12-04-2005, 12:58 PM
Edmo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

devrayfan,

I haven't ridden much over the last 20 years and prior to that I rode infrequently on borrowed bikes. Like you, I wondered if I should start "small" and move into a Heritage. Several of my friends encouraged me to get what I wanted and I bought an '05 Heritage in July 2005 as my first bike... It has 6,300 miles on it now.

The bike is 700 lbs, but the weight is low and well balanced. I rode solo for just over a month before I felt confident enough to take anyone 2-up riding.

Two things that helped me when starting with a Heritage as my first bike:

- The HD Rider's Edge course was offered free by my dealer with the purchase of a new bike. The course was riden on Buell Blast motorcycles which are light and easy to learn on. This course taught me the correct way to perform the many things we do on a bike and was more than worth the time and effort.

- Although well balanced, if you let that 700 lb Heritage start leaning when coming to a stop it can quckly get out of hand. To keep the bike straight up when stopping, look in the distance ahead of you and find something vertical to focus on. It could be a tree, light post, house, etc. This may seem goofy, but I live in a hilly area and stopping on the side of a hill can get your attention quickly if you are looking at the ground. This gains extra importance with the extra weight of passenger mounted high behind you. After some time in the saddle stopping and starting smoothly will be second nature.

Be safe, have fun, and post pics!

Edmo

Old 12-04-2005, 02:08 PM
campdreamer47
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi devrayfan...I 'm 5' 11' and I started on the Heritage Classic. I took the MSF course first though but had not been on a bike of any kind for 25 years. I'm 47 years old. I did not find the Heritage hard to ride at all...it's very well balanced. I would take the course and then buy what you want. I think you would be fine on the Heritage for your first bike...it's also ready for two up riding when your ready. I would pratice, pratice and pratice with the Heritage around parking lots and not so busy streets with your partner on with you before heading of across the country though. I have not riden other harleys so I can not give advise on how they handle... this is my 2 cents worth. Post pictures when ya get your ride and ride safe.

Old 12-04-2005, 03:11 PM
MegaHDman
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: devrayfan

First of all, I'm new to this group and I don't even own my first bike yet. I'm still in the research phase but I like the Heritage Softail Classic. I was told by my local dealer that I should probably start with I smaller bike, and I probably would if I wasn't married. I want a bike that my wife could ride on with me and still be comfortable. I understand that a smaller bike may be easier to learn on, but I don't want to kick myself later for not buying what I really want in the first place. Any suggestions?

Bob
No reason to start with a smaller bike. The heritage though a big bike in terms of poundage, has a very low COG and is a very easy bike to learn on and ride. Very forgiving in nature, very easy to get a good feel on. My wife learned how to ride on a roadking. And she isnt big at all. Now take a Sportster. Weighs a few hundred pounds less, but it has a much higher COG and seat height and in comparison to the heritage is not an easy bike to learn to ride on at all. Whats funny too is that people call Sporties "girls bikes", pretty silly as its farthest from the truth.

Old 12-05-2005, 09:02 PM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 91 Likes on 50 Posts

Out of all the bikes I have rode the past few years the Heritage is by far the easiest to ride. It has a nice center of gravity and gives a floating sensation or atleast to me it does, it is a smooth and easy to maneuver bike.

Old 12-05-2005, 09:12 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can find a used Yamaha Vstar for next to nothing to get comfortable on. Try it for a while then pass it on to another newbie and get the Heritage.

Best thing about the Yamaha is if you dump it just drag it to side of road, call a cab and forget you ever owned it.

Quick Reply: Heritage As First Bike???