Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

decel flutter???

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 12:26 AM
mean green
Road Captain
Received 101 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Kondek
Did you ever get this resolved? Having the same issue and it’s driving me insane!
I must be the odd man out, find the sound of the decel flutter cool as hell.

Old 05-15-2020, 02:21 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,930 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Did you ever get this resolved? Having the same issue and it’s driving me insane!
Ben this is a 13 year old post so don't hold your breath. That "flutter" could be just the normal sound when letting off the throttle and not to be confused with "decel pop" which IS an annoyance.
Originally Posted by mean green
I must be the odd man out, find the sound of the decel flutter cool as hell.
The stock exhaust really does a good job of covering up that exhaust flutter or back-talk, it is what it is with an aftermarket exhaust, I could do without it, but it's just a byproduct of performance.

Old 05-15-2020, 05:44 AM
Ben Kondek
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldMike
Ben this is a 13 year old post so don't hold your breath. That "flutter" could be just the normal sound when letting off the throttle and not to be confused with "decel pop" which IS an annoyance.

The stock exhaust really does a good job of covering up that exhaust flutter or back-talk, it is what it is with an aftermarket exhaust, I could do without it, but it's just a byproduct of performance.

Lol I did see that it was a old post but figured I would take a shot. Sadly I find this flutter to be far more annoying than a decel pop, even though it’s a “normal” occurrence. Trying to discover the cause of it now. Pipe size or shape perhaps? Just having a slow go of it gathering info on it.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:34 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member

Lol I did see that it was a old post but figured I would take a shot. Sadly I find this flutter to be far more annoying than a decel pop, even though it’s a “normal” occurrence. Trying to discover the cause of it now. Pipe size or shape perhaps? Just having a slow go of it gathering info on it.
Which bike and exhaust do you have?

Old 05-15-2020, 08:54 AM
Ben Kondek
1st Gear

Which bike and exhaust do you have?

2020 Low Rider S with Bassani Radial Sweepers. FP3 also and have ran several lengthy auto tune sessions without any change in that area.

Old 05-15-2020, 09:04 AM
shaggieshapiro
Road Master
Received 669 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by 05flstndeluxe
I did forget to mention that mine is a carb bike, not fuel injected. What all is involved in the stage-1 kit for a carb bike? Would just a K&N replacement element do or would I need the whole deal?
Thanks for the help...
you will never be able to get rid of it. You can make it better by rejetting the carb. Stage 1 air cleaner, big shots, 48 idle jet, 190 main jet. A 50 idle jet would eliminate it, but I had my bike stall out at every light. Maybe it will work for you

Old 05-15-2020, 09:04 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member

2020 Low Rider S with Bassani Radial Sweepers. FP3 also and have ran several lengthy auto tune sessions without any change in that area.
If nothing loose on the exhaust or shields and no leaks, it's probably the nature of that exhaust to make that noise.
Let somebody in your area listen to it to confirm it's just the sound signature of that exhaust. These exhaust systems are usually a compromise between performance, looks and sound, getting all three right isn't easy.
I'm not a fan of the "flutter" but am unwilling to go back to a stock exhaust.

Old 05-15-2020, 10:59 AM
Ben Kondek
1st Gear

If nothing loose on the exhaust or shields and no leaks, it's probably the nature of that exhaust to make that noise.
Let somebody in your area listen to it to confirm it's just the sound signature of that exhaust. These exhaust systems are usually a compromise between performance, looks and sound, getting all three right isn't easy.
I'm not a fan of the "flutter" but am unwilling to go back to a stock exhaust.
I do fear that it is my front header pipe leaking causing the flutter. It seems to come from under the handlebars when I hear it riding. I have tested it with both air and water and found nothing. May remove it anyway and replace the V&H flat gasket with a stock cone gasket this weekend.

Going back to stock is no option to me, was thinking a different brand of 2 to 2 or if necessary a 2 to 1.

thanks to everyone for the responses btw!

The following users liked this post:
OldMike (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 03:07 PM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

My 13 injected deluxe does it with V&H BSS, HD air box, and HD race tuner. It only does it when you cut the throddle under 3000 rpm. Anything over that and it sounds like a big rig air breaking(which i am good with). Have not been able to fix it. No air leaks either. I have just got used to it. I was told its the way V&H BSS sound with my bike.

Old 05-15-2020, 03:42 PM
shaggieshapiro
Road Master
Received 669 Likes on 285 Posts

My ‘05 deluxe does the same thing. I just changed my exhaust gasket with the cone type and still the same thing. I’m starting to think that the noise I’m hearing is the wind from the windshield. I’m just living with it. If you had an exhaust leak you would hear a series of “tick, tick, tick, tick” sounds when you shut the bike off. Those sounds went away when I installed new gaskets

Quick Reply: decel flutter???