Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife has sore legs after long rides

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 04:31 PM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Wife has sore legs after long rides

It'll cost some cash to make her comfy, but worth it in my opinion. My wife likes to ride with me onthe Heritage. We added the passeger touring pillion, bucket backrest, and Kuryakyn adjustable footpegs w/ floorboards. She can sit back there fuel stop to fuel stop if needed.

I'm still trying to convince her that she needs an Ultra...and I'll drive for her..

Old 09-21-2007, 11:50 PM
EXAMMO
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what you mean about costing money to make the wife happy. She sat on my Uncle's RKC with a mustang touring pillion. Made me buy one teh next day. I told her the passenger floorboards would have to wait until next month. After she is happy, I will look into making myself happy with more torque adding goodies!! Next on teh list is headwork done with Head Quarters!

Jeremy

Old 09-22-2007, 08:29 AM
helixhippie
Road Master

My Mrs has pretty long legs & the foot rests were too far back for her. She felt like she was sliding forward all the time & she couldn't push back because her feet were further back than her knees.
We put 3" adjustors on. moving the foot rests forward only 3" made a huge difference.
We're still looking at all kinds of other settups, I want her to be as comfortable as I am.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:54 AM
spike95
Road Master

My girl couldn't ride more than 30 miles without getting off to stretch because her nerves were getting pinched. We figured out that she needed the pegs mounted higher to avoid her legs being pinched by the edge of the seat. It was an easy fix and made a big difference. If your wife is short, this could be the problem.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:48 AM
Duder
Advanced

Wife has sore legs after long rides
You da man!

Old 09-22-2007, 12:43 PM
Scurvy Jack
Tourer

Everyone else is correct....more padding on a seat equals happy butt. To get the relief on the legs they need to be at a 90 degree angle or less. If her legs are straighter then the muscles are not relaxed and causes soreness. My wife was that way until I raised the floorboards almost three inches and got her a better seat. Now we can go almost 11 hours on the bike without discomfort or leg cramps. Of course, after 10 hours we're both ready to get off the bike, not just her...

Old 09-22-2007, 06:24 PM
drivermrp
Advanced

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I had a great ride today, 20 HD riders (DFW HOGS), 300 + miles, about 7 hours. The wife didn't go, butI did see one of the bikes had Kuryakyn adjustable footpegs. I am definately going to get some. I just read up on them on the web, looks like about $160 + for the adjustable pegs, but on a softail you have to add another $70 for an adapter for floorboards. I have passenger floorboard already and I do have a backrest as suggested. My passenger seat is an 11", I think I'm going to change it out for a 14". Look's like I'm going to drop $400-$500 for all this, but if it works it's worth it.

I can't fight it too much I just spent $2000 on a 95 ci stage 2 upgrade (cylinders, pistons, cams, clutch spring, etc.) This was my first good ride since I got done breaking in the upgrade. All I can say is God I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-22-2007, 09:29 PM
Scurvy Jack
Tourer

Does your wife complain more about her legs or her butt? I'd suggest getting her legs comfortable first, the seat may take care of itself once the legs are positioned so there is less strain. Once my wife's legs stopped hurting...mainly the calves and the front of her thighs, she managed to spend a lot more time on the original seat than before. Once we started doing the four day trips...1200+ miles...was when I upgraded the seat.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:52 AM
barhpr
Road Captain

try having her lay back on the gas tank, and throw one leg over each shoulder.. seen it at rallys and every woman had a smile on her face, must help somewhat??

Old 09-23-2007, 09:55 AM
spike95
Road Master

I agree with Scurvy Jack. Don't throw the money into a new seat until you see what a difference repositioning the pegs will make. That way you can avoid having a couch on your fender unless you really have to.