Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy an Extended Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 04:05 AM
ga4boats
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Should I buy an Extended Warranty?

My dealer did not push the extended warranty. In my opinion, theHarley two year warranty is probably emough - heck anytime you want to modify the motor, they try to void that portiion of it anyways. For a used bike, I am sold that if a warranty can be had (i.e., bought the bike from a H-D Dealer) it is worth it. I got one on a 2001 Softail Std. and even got a third of my money back when I traded my bike.

I do like the new Chrysler warranty on the power train - forever as long as you own it!

Old 09-23-2007, 07:46 PM
Waterse
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of points about extended warranties. I bought it on my softail, but it was a used bike out of original warranty and I got a good package deal with the bike. As far as the company making money on them, it's not as simple as "If it's good for them it must be bad for you". Most extended warranties are underwritten by an insurance company. The insurance company reimburses the warranty company for loses due to honoring the extended warranty, insurance companies make money by investing the money they get from you now. So if they have to give it back to cover a repair, they have already profitted by having held onto it for a few years. If you are the kind of person who wold have the few hundred or even few thousand dollars available to pay for a repair then it is probably worth taking a chance and keeping your money. However, if you would be out your bike for a long time because you could not be sure of having the cash on hand if a repair did pop up, it may be better to get the warranty and roll it into the financing.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:51 PM
jeffflsti
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I chose not to purchase the warranty and saved me $2500 less the $250 for a blown rear tire. Yep I said it, Orlando Harley actually sells harley without warrantee.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:10 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

IF you will keep the bike for the length of the warrenty period and ride +10,000 mi. a year I'd say get it. Harley is betting you won't ride the bike enough to wear anything out.
If you put 50K on the bike I bet you'll get your money's worth. Otherwise, don't buy it.