Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

unlower my fatboy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 07:38 PM
girliebiker_60
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default unlower my fatboy?

I recently purchased a lowered fatboy. I am wondering if I would get a smoother ride if it wasn't lowered and if I can be done.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:08 PM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: unlower my fatboy?

Just a thought......

Depending what you "use to" ride, I would try to find a buddy, or a demo, or a rental to see if a non-lowered FB rides like you would expect.

I noticed that my new Fatboy rides harder than my previous bikeand it steers like it was on a rail.I need alittle more effort for counter-steering, and bumps give a resonable jolt but recovers instantly. These observations (of mine) are all a great thing to me. Not a single complaintaboutmy FBsuspension.

A lowering kit may not have changed your noticed characteristics that much.

For example, did your previous bike have laced wheels? Again, with the FB, solid wheels makes a difference too. I'd hate to see you go through the expense of getting the rear back to stock if the outcome doesn't change things.

(The short answer is YES, you can get things taken back to stock). How about some pics?

Old 09-17-2007, 08:57 PM
girliebiker_60
Stage III

Thank you for the info. I rode a newer FB a while back that seemed to be nicer riding. So i wasn't sure if it's just that mine is older. Mine is a 98 but sharp and that's what got me lol
I tried to enclose a pic but says that file is to big. And since computers are not my forte I don't know how to make it smaller

Old 09-17-2007, 09:06 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Alot of people that say lowering a bike will make it ride a bit rougher. It depends on a lot of factors though. Was the front lowered as well? How is the suspension adjusted. Have a look see. I wanted to lower mine for a while until I realized I might lose some handling and cornering. Once I heard that I said forget it...

Old 09-17-2007, 10:49 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 518 Likes on 361 Posts

I lowered my 00 Heritage a few years ago.(1" frt / 1.5" rr). It ruined it. Absolutely ruined it!!! Just put it back to stocka few weeks ago. Stock springs in front, Prog 422's in the rear(set @ stock height)
What a difference. I actually enjoy riding it again.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:29 PM
Jucifer
Road Master

I immediately noticed a difference when I lowered mine. It rides much rougher. I've gotten used to it, but for the first few days the difference was night and day.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:42 AM
BASHER
Advanced

I had a Nitetrain up until a week ago, i traded itin for a 08 Fat Boy,
i did everything to my Nighty inc lowering it front and rear, boy did i f**k it up when i compared it to my mates,
May of looked good but it rode s**t,
Never again!

Old 09-18-2007, 12:01 PM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I have a question regarding all this...

When you guys speak of lowering.... are the majority of you saying you lowered it with a lowering kit? Or did you change to adjustable shocks or harley's low profile shocks?

On my Standard I put the Harley Low profiles on and I didn't find it to be that bad of a ride... Course, the Dampening needed fine tuned but still it wasn't real rough or bad. Now... I used the shocks that went down 3/4 of an inch.... so I didn't go that low... just enough to give it that lowered look more.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:13 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 518 Likes on 361 Posts

My wife's 03 has the Harley shocks. They are JUNK!!!! They don't really even lower it a full inch. We used HD's stuff because we got a 20 % disc on parts & labor at the dealer.

If anything, run the stock Harley shocks with the Prog Susp adjustors.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:57 PM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: byersmtrco

My wife's 03 has the Harley shocks. They are JUNK!!!! They don't really even lower it a full inch. We used HD's stuff because we got a 20 % disc on parts & labor at the dealer.

If anything, run the stock Harley shocks with the Prog Susp adjustors.
Still though, you can pick those shocks up on ebay for 100 bucks or less. I gave 75 for mine on ebay for my 07 standard and they were new in the box. I thought they rode fine.... for just me.

Quick Reply: unlower my fatboy?