Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield cut down complete success

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007 | 08:54 AM
theoldguy
Tourer
Default RE: Windshield cut down complete success

You wanna do mine? Come over and there's beer in it for ya... AFTER the cuts are made...

Old 09-18-2007 | 09:30 PM
Legalcarry
Cruiser

Thanks Terry, for the detailed description. That sounds doable for me. I rest a little easier trying something new when I know better what to expect.
Rob

Old 09-18-2007 | 11:19 PM
kato1964
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: carpetride

nice job...I'd like to cut my quick detach down about 1.5 inches but I'd prolly screw it up and destroy a $400 dollar shield.... I wish harley would of made the detachable mount with some sort of sliding height adjustment.. Oh well... maybe next time [&o]
I second that motion! I was quite surprised when I first got my bike (windshield came with it) and realized it couldn't be adjusted for height at all. I guess H-D assumes we're all the same height, so no need to adjust anything.

Old 09-19-2007 | 12:36 AM
Kikilee
Tourer

You wouldn't really mess up a $400.00 shield. All you would need to do is replace the lexan. It is available from many places, Memphis Shades, for example, makes many different styles and colors.
(They also have a great sizing chart on their web site)
They are available from places like JP cycle for well under $100.00. Simply unscrew the acorn nuts on your shield, remove the lexan, put the new one in and bolt it together.
So for under a hundred bucks you not only get the correct size but youalso get the perfect tint.

nice job...I'd like to cut my quick detach down about 1.5 inches but I'd prolly screw it up and destroy a $400 dollar shield.... I wish harley would of made the detachable mount with some sort of sliding height adjustment.. Oh well... maybe next time [&o]

Old 09-19-2007 | 06:57 AM
rkh
6th Gear

I'm new with HD and a windshield. I look thru my windshield. Do you need to look over it? Will the wind and bugs not hit you in the face. I ride with other people that have short windshields and just thought it was shortened to look better. Sometimes when I am turning a curve the edge will mess up my view. Do I need to cut this windshield off? and where does it need to be with relation with my vision?

Old 09-19-2007 | 08:55 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Kikilee

You wouldn't really mess up a $400.00 shield. All you would need to do is replace the lexan. It is available from many places, Memphis Shades, for example, makes many different styles and colors.
(They also have a great sizing chart on their web site)
They are available from places like JP cycle for well under $100.00. Simply unscrew the acorn nuts on your shield, remove the lexan, put the new one in and bolt it together.
So for under a hundred bucks you not only get the correct size but youalso get the perfect tint.

I tried that route...I ordered a replacement lexan but the holes wouldn't line up on the vertical frame ( bottom one was about an inch off)but were close on the horizontal... thought about drilling but backed off and sent it back...I was trying this on a HD quick detach ( four small clamps) shield.. it may work forother applications.. thing is, I ordered it from an old JP catalog that only showed a dimention diagram for the horizontal frame...the new catalog shows the vertical now also...glad JP has such a good return policy....rkh...just personal preference, I like to look over...If it rains its easier to see...also I just like the look of a lower shield on my softail standard...[sm=smokin.gif]...I like the top edge just below my nose when seated comfortably.. bugs will still shoot over ya

Old 09-19-2007 | 12:31 PM
roenm38
|
Intermediate

Myview on this looking thru the windshield is that it is a compromise in safety. Looking over the top edge of the windshield gives you a much better command of the road. Wisconsin just like many other states is covered with deer and other critters that seem to have a dislike for motorcycles. To see them coming out of the corner of your vision (over the top of the windshield) gives one a slight edge to control the situation. As I mentioned earlier the 1.25 inches was just right for my 6ft height. After the cut I noticed no change in wind orbug protection. The cycle is more fun and safer to drive after the modifacation. Terry