Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got Taken?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 08:42 PM
lencap
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Got Taken?

Hi -

I posted earlier this week about my newly acquired '07 Softail Deluxe that I bought from the original owner with only 72 miles on the bike. He had to sell and I wanted to buy. I ran the VIN number by my local dealer and he said that there are two outstanding minor service issues - a batter holder fix and an update to the engine to help control the excess heat. I thanked him and made an appointment for him to make the needed fixes and also to check out the bike and to make some minor adjustments for me so I fit as well as I can.

A guy at the office asked what I paid, and I was hesitant to give the answer, since I didn't see why that was relevant or any of his business. He said that there is a glut of used '07s and hoped "I priced it accordingly". I paid what I thought was fair, which was quite a bit above the dealer trade value, especially since it has 72 miles on it, and HD extended warranty and the full size windshield. I called HD before buying it and they confirmed that the bike has the majority of the warranty in force, and that the warranty is fully transferable to the new owner. My co-worker got me wondering, what is a fair price for a used two tone just about new Deluxe?

Frankly, I don't really care, I'm happy and I got a beautiful bike far cheaper than I could have from the dealer, but I also would like to think that the price I paid was near the market. Fact is, if I overpaid a bunch, then the resale value of HD bikes is a lot lower than I thought.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:55 PM
grzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Got Taken?

if you love the bike and intend keeping it "forever" does it really matter ?

Old 09-13-2007, 09:14 PM
detonator
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Allright How much! No let me guess ! $18,000.00?

Old 09-13-2007, 09:16 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't sweat it. It's already done. Having buyers remorse is like peeing in your pants. Only you feel it...

Old 09-13-2007, 09:19 PM
lencap
Cruiser

Grzy -

A good point, and very clearly stated. No it really doesn't matter what I paid. I'm still new to HD and haven't yet realized that HD owners actually enjoy their bikes, ride them and keep them. With the other bikes I've owned I became unhappy very quickly and resale value was important.

I owned a BMW R series bike, nice ride, but no personality at all - sounded like a sewing machine. A Ducati was a nice bike to look at, but the riding position was enough to swear off riding for a week after an hour in the saddle. The Valkyrie was a very smooth bike, again light on personality and very difficult to find a comfortable place for your legs with that very long engine in the way. The Jap sportbikes were fast and light, but every cop in the county was filling his ticket quota with them. The Moto Guzzi came the closest to the HD, but no where near the same experience. Interestingly enough I joined many of these brand's clubs, and found that a very high number of people had their bikes for 2 years or less and were not really happy for them and were looking around for other rides. The funny thing is almost all of those people mentioned HD and then said "Not for me, too expensive, old technology", etc. I admit to not giving HD a good look myself. But now that I have I realize that I've admired and wanted a HD for years, just didn't want to pay the price of admission. If I add up how much money I wasted on lesser bikes, I could have bought any model HD makes and still be far ahead.

Each of these bikes I bought to "keep", but each didn't work out. The best I did reselling any of them was a 30% loss in a year. Most were worse, even the BMW. I fully expect the Deluxe to be with me for life, but in case something changes, and given my history with other brands, I just was curious about used values for bikes.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:20 PM
commander112
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

In my experience there is ALWAYS a better deal out there if you look hard enough and for that matter, ALWAYS a worse deal out there too. As long as you feel good about your purchase and are happy with the bike don't let anyone else rain on your parade. F*ck 'en forget about it.

Mark

Old 09-13-2007, 09:24 PM
lencap
Cruiser

Mark -

My bike is the same color. Where did you get the fender bib? Looks great. Thanks

Old 09-13-2007, 09:24 PM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

That guy at the dealer would always say you paid too much unless you bought it from him. Forget about it.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:29 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: lencap
I paid what I thought was fair....
That's the right price. [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 09-13-2007, 09:33 PM
commander112
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: lencap

Mark -

My bike is the same color. Where did you get the fender bib? Looks great. Thanks
My bib is a Mustang bib. Widely available. Check out the bib a fellow member here is about to offer for sale. Very nice. Here is the link:
https://www.hdforums.com/m_2152492/tm.htm

By the way, your blue is much darker than mine. Mine is an '05 only color. Yours is still nice though!

Mark

Quick Reply: Got Taken?