Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

?? for HD official ....

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 10:50 AM
7aceshigh7
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?? for HD official ....

I have an 07 Softail Standard, I want to do a stage 1 a/c upgrade. I already have the SE slip-ons installed. Do I have to do a Power Commander? Or is there download that I can have HD service do? I have called a copule shops in my area, One tells me they ONLY do Power Commanders, that there is NOT a download from HD. Then the other HD shop tells me that they have a download and that it would be up to me if I wanted to do the down load or the Power Commander..... I would rather do the Download. I am not planning on doing any other engine mods until I have too. SO which dealer is telling me the TRUTH? Thanks for your reply's

Ride safe and often!

Old 09-12-2007, 11:27 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: ?? for HD official ....

Thesecond dealeryou spoke with was correct.

My personal preference was to leave the ECU completly stock, and allow a fuel management computer do the computations. I went with a FuelPak because of my choice of pipes. (Both being a V&H product).

I am hearing on here that you can end up in no-man's land if (any) dealer starts downloading into your ECU. You pay each time for that download; which may be only once, or additional times if you want something tweaked later on. As soon as you go for that second download, you exceed your break-even point for buying a fuel handler in the first place.

The first dealer you spoke with may have a bad taste in his mouth dealing with repeat customers who are coming back for second or third tweaks; all trying to get them for free because of not being satisfied with their original download. (this is that no-man's land I was speaking about). This may have been why this first dealer said he did only PC.

Keep us informed!

Old 09-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Strgzr
Tourer

Interesting summation PoorBoy... Thanks!

Old 09-12-2007, 11:53 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ya got a nice bike there Strgzr!

I'm ex-Navy. CTM1 (E6) '72-'80.

[sm=deal.gif]

Old 09-12-2007, 12:00 PM
7aceshigh7
Cruiser

Thanks Poorboy for your info! I can see what you mean about break-even if I had to go back for a second tweak. It's just that I am not thinking of doing any other mods until a can save enough for a stage II upgrade, By then I would probably be doing diffrent pipes and can see doing a fuel managment pak. I will probably ask the dealer for some kind of written statement, (if that's even possible to get that out of them... [sm=bicker.gif]). Saying that if there is any mechanical problem that they are to fix it. (good luck on that one right...).

Old 09-13-2007, 01:01 AM
O6FXST
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on the changes you are making to your bikeI would highly recommend that youspend a few bucks and put a SERT (Screaming Eagle Race Tuner) on it. If you try to do it on the cheap, your bike will run like crap and be popping/backfiring, etc. I see new bikes like that all the time. $18-20,000 bike poppin and spittin and can't keep up. Go rob a bank or something and do it right, especially ifyou want to eventually go to a Stage II. Just my .02. and I could be wrong but that is what I did to my bike and it runs excellent, very strong with no snap, crackle or pop!

Rick

Old 09-17-2007, 11:09 AM
SOCALHD
Road Warrior

From my experience. I originally went with a download when I added my V&H pipes. It was a mistake and I ended up buying a SERT. Consequently the download was like throwing money away.Buy the tuner and don't waste your money on a download.