Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Void Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 08:46 PM
dashiell
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Void Warranty

So what can we do for an 06 FLSTCI to improve performance, sound and keep the warranty in tact?

dash

Old 11-27-2005, 09:00 PM
MegaHDman
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Void Warranty

When you replace factory parts with aftermarket parts, your warrenty is STILL INTACT. The only way a dealership can void your warrenty is by proving without doubt that the aftermarket parts installed were the direct result of another parts failure. In other words, if you install a new cam and your speedometer stops working, your speedometer is still covered under warrenty. Say you add new cams, and something in your transmission fails. Your still covered under warrenty, unless the dealership can prove without a doubt that the new cams were the result in the failure which is next to impossible.

And most time when you replace internal engine parts with quality aftermarket substitutes, you will have a seperate warrenty from the parts mfg. you purchased parts from. I had a couple of JIMS parts fail in one of my builds, I sent them the damaged parts and they replaced it free of charge. JIMS normally has a 6 month unlimited mile warrenty on their engine parts, and they are very quick to send out warrenty replacements.

Old 11-27-2005, 09:25 PM
dashiell
Advanced

I'm reading from the 2006 HD Accessories book?
Page 513
Warranty: installation of AE products and or similar offroad (exhaust) or competition parts from other mfg's, except some "sreet legal" installed by auth. HD dealers may void your HD limited warranty.

Old 11-27-2005, 09:37 PM
Firefox
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: dashiell

Page 513
Warranty: installation of AE products and or similar offroad (exhaust) or competition parts from other mfg's, except some "sreet legal" installed by auth. HD dealers may void your HD limited warranty.
Right you are I bought an 06 nightrain and wanted to do a Screamin Eagle Filter, Exhaust (16 gauge one piece) and a Race tuner my dealer said fine but it will void your 2 year warrenty. So I thought this is nuts and I called and talked to a factory rep and he told me it depends totally on your dealer if they elect to cover it fine but if you purchase anything you purchase goes into the computer so if you purchase anything in the catalog with crossed flags or non street legal items it goes into the computer and if your bike breaks down somewhere else and they punch the vin # in the computer it will show it and if they elect to not cover it your screwed.

Old 11-27-2005, 09:38 PM
DUMB AND DUMBER
Intermediate

Ok, so how far are you going to go in performance, and sound enhancements?

Old 11-27-2005, 09:52 PM
dashiell
Advanced

bite the bullet i guess, Buy a good pair of slip ons and replace them when i sevice

Old 11-27-2005, 10:05 PM
MegaHDman
Banned

ORIGINAL: dashiell

Page 513

The key word is "MAY VOID" your HD limited warrenty. And if you do some research by the laws set down by the government to PROTECT the consumer you will understand the guidelines which will void the warrenty.

The key guideline is that the manufacturer must prove without a doubt to a court of law that an aftermarket part was the sole reason for another parts failure on your bike.

Old 11-27-2005, 10:11 PM
MegaHDman
Banned

ORIGINAL: Firefox

Right you are I bought an 06 nightrain and wanted to do a Screamin Eagle Filter, Exhaust (16 gauge one piece) and a Race tuner my dealer said fine but it will void your 2 year warrenty. So I thought this is nuts and I called and talked to a factory rep and he told me it depends totally on your dealer if they elect to cover it fine but if you purchase anything you purchase goes into the computer so if you purchase anything in the catalog with crossed flags or non street legal items it goes into the computer and if your bike breaks down somewhere else and they punch the vin # in the computer it will show it and if they elect to not cover it your screwed.
Many times I have run across dealerships that will tell a consumer many different things on what will and won't void the warrenty. 9 out of 10 times the dealership is WRONG. Many times the dealership will tell the consumer a complete lie to try and steer the consumer in a direction that would be beneficial to the dealership. I have come across many instances where a SMART consumer would do some research on the warrrenty laws and what really is covered, and have seen more than my share of court cases in favor of the consumer because of bogus voided warrenties that were reversed by the gov't regulations.

Do some research at places like the US govt website and the BBB which will go into detail on how the consumer really is protected.

Old 11-27-2005, 10:21 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

HDMegaman is right, by law - If you've got the time and money to hire a lawyer and sue the dealership/HD. Most people don't have the means to go through all of that, so the dealers get away with screwing people over. Depending on what you want to do, the safe way to go about it is to order your parts online, so nothing is associated with your VIN. Install them yourself and put the stock parts back on if you need warranty service. If that's not possible, find a good Indy shop that's an authorized HD repair service. Most times they won't try to screw you around just because you've done a few mods.

I was even threatened with a voided warranty because I did my own 1000 mile service. It's insane. When I was given the lecture, I reminded the service lady at HD that I had purchased all my supplies from HD, I had my receipts and I had a record of everything I'd done. I asked her if using HD oil and filters typically voided the warranty, then I told her it was against the law to make a threat like that. She looked confused and I walked away.

Old 11-27-2005, 10:28 PM
Firefox
Cruiser

I am going to check that out megaHDman thanks for the info. I was going to do the change next spring anyway I figured 2 months and I have 3000 miles on if anything was going to go it would have and take my chances. But I will check that sight out. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Void Warranty