Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Defector

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 08:42 PM
GaryInSanDiego
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyna Defector

I ride an 05 Dyna Lowrider. Ever since I bought the bike new, I've tried to solve the problem of head buffetingcaused bywindshields. I've tried variations in angle, height, lowers, flap vest, ad nauseum. Nothing works for me, and I'm getting frustrated because I'd like to start taking longer rides, and the turbulance is so bad with the windshield that I am forced to ride without one and endure the wind in my chest. I've never ridden a ST, and I'm wondering if they have the same problem. I can understand a bit of wind and buffeting (I enjoy some wind), but my head feels like it is in a paint shaker, and long-distance rides are out of the question unless I ride without a windshield. Are Softails afflicted with this same problem? I've read that Ultras don't have the problem, but I'm not really into touring bikes. I'd really like a great looking bike for around town and that would also be comfortable on longer rides. I love the looks of the Softails, but I'm concerned I'll have the same problem. I guess the only way to know for sure whether it would be a problem is to rent one.

Comments appreciated,
Gary

Old 09-10-2007, 09:19 PM
JeffreyLebowski
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dyna Defector

I don't think the buffeting has much to do with the bike being a dyna vs a softail. Getting a windshield that works for you is key. If you have an adjustable windshield, you might have to fiddle with it to make it work. Try to get it to flip the wind up over your head by tweaking the height and the angle. My windshield is adjusted about as good as it will get right now- no buffeting at 65mph, but when I get up to about 75-80, the buffeting starts. It's not as bad as you are describing though. I'd hate to see you buy a softail only to have the buffeting issue again.

How tall are you? That makes a difference also- taller people need taller windshields to avoid poking your head into the airstream.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:20 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got in yesterday afternoon from a 2,000 mile ride through some of the worst wind I've ever experienced on a motorcycle. Along with that, there was some rain. There was some buffeting, but nothing severe except when the wind was front quartering in at the side of the windshield. There have been several posts about the head buffeting, but I haven't experienced it under normal wind conditions. My first trip with a windshield was last month and it was 1,200 miles of pure pleasure.
Right now, I'm looking for some lowers, but can't seem to find them. Any help or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. I experimented with the air flow by placing my hand about where the lower would be and it stopped the wind from blowing up under the handle bars.
Have to wonder if a person's height or helmet style might have an effect on the buffeting. I'm 5'9" tall with no butt, so I can barely see over the shield. Thought about cutting it down, but after the past few days, I'll leave well enough alone.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:49 PM
GaryInSanDiego
Cruiser

I wouldn't buy a new bike just for the buffeting problem unless maybe I was absolutely certain it would solve it. This means renting one for a while. I'm 5'9", 165#, and I've tried full height and cut down windshields (looking overthem and looking through them). I bought Memphis Shades lowers brackets and made up plastic lowers larger than the Memphis Shades lowers but in the same shape. I also made a bracket so I could adjust the angle of the w/s, but the adjustment has no effect that I can notice. With no lowers, the buffeting is caused by wind from below and around and, to a lesser extent, from over the top. When they are installed, the lowers stop the wind from below pretty well, but not enough to reduce the buffeting to an acceptable level. I've also tried two FF helmets and a 3/4 helmet with noapparent difference. The only way I can reduce it is to move my head much closer to the w/s, and I obviously can't ride like that. I've read lots of posts where Dyna riders have tried to solve this problem, and it seems like not very many have found an acceptablesolution. I'm just getting kinda tired of spending so much time and money to solve this problem. Maybe I'm more sensitive to it than others, but I can't imagine taking a long trip with my head bouncing around so much.Visually, everything is just a blur above about 60.

I live close to a freeway, so it is pretty convenient to test various combinations, but I've found nothing that works so far.

Thanks a lot for the responses.
Gary

Old 09-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Even though I have since gone to a Memphis Shades Sport shield "El Paso" for the sporty looks,
it also doesn't have much head buffering. It does have lots of wind noise in my ears though.

But onto the Harley Shield: those chrome lowers do stop the head buffering.
I just didn't like the looks on a day to day basis (andfor short day trips).
But if I was to go on a long, trip I'd put it back on probably.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:56 PM
GaryInSanDiego
Cruiser

Very nice bike Les, and I agree that the El Paso looks great. I don't mind the noise because I always wear foam earplugs, and they work great. I have no problem with a little buffeting, it is just the head jarring shaking that I can't stand. Maybe my brain is just too small for my skull and it bounces around in there.

Gary