Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

easy pull clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 01:36 AM
KBES BAGGER
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default easy pull clutch?

For the most part my wife rides the fatboy, the clutch on it is the older stlye "hard to pull" kind. I was going to put the easy pull style so that it is easier for her. My question is the directions say I have to pull the primary case cover off. I was wondering if anybody has been able to just go in through the inspection (derby) cover and do it there. Am I dreaming or thinking more practicall. I dont have a problem pulling off the primary cover, the only reasons I am trying to avoid this is I just changed the fluid about 100 mi. or so ago and would like to avoid buying the $40 gasket and the oil again. Thanx in advance.

KB

Old 11-27-2005, 01:47 AM
MegaHDman
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: easy pull clutch?

Just dump the primary oil into a container and reuse if it you just changed the fluid. Be sure to clean the magnetic plug to get rid of any metal shavings that have built up. If you have never pulled the primary off that bike and have the factory metal gasket still on the bike, now would be a good time to replace it with a fiber gasket. And I don't think they are anywhere near close to $40 dollars. That being said, I don't believe you need to pull the entire cover off just to replace the clutch pack diaphram spring. Unfortunetly I always pull the entire cover off since I always inspect the chain, tensioner, and compensator nut whenever doing any work inside the primary, no mater what it is. Its a good habit to get into.