Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to align handlebar?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 12:15 PM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How to align handlebar?

O.K. I have another question:

When looking straight down onto my riser I notice a slight misalignment. My handlebar is not "square" with my fork nuts. In the drawing below, I have exaggeratedthe proportionto show which alignment I am talking about. The handlebar on the left side covers more of the fork nut than what is covered on the right side.

The fork bolts are properly aligned (square) to the wheel, so I don't think I need to touch my yoke nut, but the double-point riser holding my bar seems to be higher on the left. Nothing is loose, and the bike tracks straight as an arrow.

The real misalignment seems to be about 1/8 to no more than 1/4 inch. What/how do I adjust the riser alignment?

Thanks for some guidance! (I just think someone was a little sloppy at the dealer when they mounted the handlebars. I can't believe I drove over 2000 miles now and didn't notice until this past weekend.

(drawing obviously NOT to any kind of scale, just did my best to express my problem).

Name:  Handlebars.jpg
Views: 4462
Size:  16.1 KB

Old 09-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,853 Likes on 806 Posts
Default RE: How to align handlebar?

Switch the riser bushings to polyurethane ones. The stock rubber bushings seem to cause this misalignment.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 09-10-2007, 01:24 PM
Javieret
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can change to rigid mouts. This eliminate the rubber bushings and align your handlebar perfectly.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:13 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two of the three HD's we've owned have had that problem. Guess I've gotten used to it.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:52 PM
Trotter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not in the bushings.. It's in the sequance you tighten the Bar top Clamp.. Tighten front Fasteners to just hold the bars in place, Tighten rear fastners to 12-15 Ft-Lbs Final tighten front fastners to 12-15 Ft-Lbs ..There shopuld be a gap in the front....Then Torque the Riser Bolts to 30-40 Ft-Lbs..

Old 09-10-2007, 06:20 PM
T Rat
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loosen both riser bolts from the bottom. Turn the handlebars full left and have a helper continue to put pressure to the left stop while you tighten the bars. Fixed my dad's Deluxe bars in about 15 minutes. Stick with a simple solution first.

[align=left] [/align]

Old 09-10-2007, 07:51 PM
HogDeluxe
Former Sponsor

I have the same problem on my 2007 Deluxe. Ipointed it out to the dealer twice and they didn't fix it. I was on my buddies Deluxe and his is the same way. It drives me nuts..I'm such a perfectionist! I noticed it right away when I got the bike and was hoping someone knew the answer. My old Sportster was the same way. Obviously this is a common occurance. Sure would like to know more about it.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:10 PM
chivohead666
Cruiser

I know exactly what ur talking about. I had the same prob with my train. All it is is the busshings. Took it to the dealer and the guy said oh yeah thats normal it happens when u go over a bump the bushings take the hit and not or hands. he walked over to the front of the bike locked the front tire with his legs juggen it a little and straighned it out it keeped happening and thats the quik fix i did every time. up until i went to apes and installed poly bushings about forty buks but worth it. My buddy has apes with stock bushings and his bars bove out of aligment all the time.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:33 AM
kishstl
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I replaced my rubber bushings with urethane and tightened them in sequence and they have not moved out of alignment for 10K miles. I had adjusted he rubber ones 3 or 4 times and they still tended to move to the right .

Old 09-11-2007, 09:07 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: kishstl

I replaced my rubber bushings with urethane and tightened them in sequence and they have not moved out of alignment for 10K miles. I had adjusted he rubber ones 3 or 4 times and they still tended to move to the right .
So, for my '08 Fatboy, with 1& 1/4" internally wired bar and giantbare knuckled risers (quoting the marketing text for the stock set-up), I can get a hold of urethane bushings? From who? HD or another source?

I've looked up riser bushings; feeling overwhelmed with a huge assortment and speciality measurements. I don't know where or what to order.

Thanx!

Quick Reply: How to align handlebar?