Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to align handlebar?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 09:28 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,853 Likes on 806 Posts
Default RE: How to align handlebar?

ORIGINAL: PoorBoy

ORIGINAL: kishstl

I replaced my rubber bushings with urethane and tightened them in sequence and they have not moved out of alignment for 10K miles. I had adjusted he rubber ones 3 or 4 times and they still tended to move to the right .
So, for my '08 Fatboy, with 1& 1/4" internally wired bar and giantbare knuckled risers (quoting the marketing text for the stock set-up), I can get a hold of urethane bushings? From who? HD or another source?

I've looked up riser bushings; feeling overwhelmed with a huge assortment and speciality measurements. I don't know where or what to order.

Thanx!
If you used the stock riser bolts, then the poly bushings from HD will fit. I have the HD ones, and my bars stay straight and are rock solid.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 09-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Lamo70
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issue, taking my bike for first service next week and gonna get the stealer to adjust it AGAIN

Old 10-28-2007, 11:22 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same problem and the dealer said to turn the bars to the stop and give them a jab. That was only a temporary fix. I took I in for another problem and they fixed then this time and they stay aligned.[/align]

Old 10-29-2007, 02:38 PM
copperkid
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Trotter. I had the same problem, and did what Trotter said. It worked for me.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:58 PM
Cav Cop
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Trotter

It's not in the bushings.. It's in the sequance you tighten the Bar top Clamp.. Tighten front Fasteners to just hold the bars in place, Tighten rear fastners to 12-15 Ft-Lbs Final tighten front fastners to 12-15 Ft-Lbs ..There shopuld be a gap in the front....Then Torque the Riser Bolts to 30-40 Ft-Lbs..
+1

My bars were off a bit. It bothered me. I took my bike in for service and forgot to ask about them straighteningthe bars. I got the bike back and noticed they fixed it. WhenI asked they told me its common, and mention about whatTrotter posted. They told me that assembly at the dealer is quick, and my salesman should have caught it. I was glad they caught it, and I did not have to make another trip to the stealer.

It really erked me driving with misaligned bars....

Old 03-22-2008, 08:14 PM
azfathog17
Cruiser

My new '08 was like that. I have noticed this anomoly on several Fat Boys I have ridden. I took mine into the dealer service when I picked up my plate and the straightened it, no questions asked. Straight as an arrow now.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:24 PM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I agree with Trotter. I would try the bar clamp sequence first before messing with the riser bolts. I tried all the other things first and was willing to live with it. I then wanted to pull back my bars a little for a long ride and when I tightened them I noticed the angle changed. Ah Ha I said. Loosend the riser clamp bolts all the way and retightened them a little at a time and rotating and now the bars are straight.

By the way the Poly bushings give the bike a more secure feel while riding than the rubber ones and would not go back. But change them for the right reason and not to try to staighten your bars.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:29 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Received 215 Likes on 133 Posts

Most people have one arm that's longer than the other. Because of the difference in length, sometimes the bars will adjust to the rider's particular seating and hand position. That's why they always drift to the right. Plus, you roll the throttle towards you, and keep the clutch wrist locked. So, they naturally have a tendency to go that way. During hard braking, you death grip on the left and pull in on the right while you're braking. again, it's the way they move.

Basically, it's normal. Don't ride by look. Ride by feel, and you'll see what I mean.

The following users liked this post:
dollar66 (01-31-2022)