Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint help

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 01:12 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: Paint help

OK, this is gonna be long, so bare with me please.

ORIGINAL: wamp
More people have cartoon charecters than you think, it's not original to have them on a bike. There's like 5 vendors that put them on bikes allthe time in Sturgis.
Damn I never knew that, but then I have never been there, mostly because this is the first bike I can trust to go farther than around the block without failing. Thanks for the tip.

You critiqued my wifes bike so I critiqued your paint idea. You can dish it out but can't take it. who's the childish one?
Yes I did, and I don't think I was out of line, I "personally" didn't care much for the skunk tail or the bandana on the handlebars. Otherwise itsonly a little "Fatter" than I think a Fatboy should be.
But you posed the question of "IF anyone would ride it as is, and I believe that I said not without taking some stuff off. I gave up skunk and squirrel tails when they stopped airing Davey Crockett TV shows in the 50's. Besides my mother got really ticked off at me when she realized that my friends and I had hunted them to near extinction in the neighborhood for their tails. But if she likes it, more power to her, she can do with her bike as she pleases.

I don't like the cartoon charecters on a bike. I like flames (like the bike posted), skulls or pretty much any mean custom paint job.

Like you said "your choice, your bike" go for it, but don't get pissed when I woulden't have it on my bike.
I think you misunderstood, I’m not pissed. Whether I agree with it or not is irrelevant, I respect the fact that in this country (at least for the time being) you are entitled to have any opinion you like, just like everyone else. Getting pissed over an opinion that’s in variance from your own is a waste of time and effort.

ORIGINAL: Texas Fat Boy
Two points
1) The orange Harley emblem doesn't go with the green martin. Paint the Harley emblem the same green as the Martin andgreen stripe.
and I think you could ghost it (the Harley emblem) in about half as bright.
2) The Army green martin you want doesn't match either. Paint him that bright green to match you pin stripes.
1. I know its not really right, but I can’t figure out yet how to change the color to chrome. I have another pic I did in green, but I am having a bit of trouble trying to make it fade for a ghost effect.
2. If You read the caption over the pic you can see that I make mention of it being the wrong color. I tried to use the paint program to change it but it kept making all of him the same green color. I’m working on another using the “brush” in the program to change it. But it takes time and even more time when you’re a klutz with a mouse. You really need one of those artist pen and pad setups to do it right.
I’ll post the “fixed” version when its done.
ORIGINAL: tunaman
I like the Martin the Marsian theme... need to take it to the extreme, but it's cool!
Roger
OK Roger, I used all my artistic imagination just getting this far, how would you suggest I “take it to the extreme”?
Frank

ORIGINAL: dsrtdoc
I like the Marvin.I tink it looked best with the silver pinstripe and the break out martian on the tank and the crossed arms on the front. May be a little Marvin with a ray gun shooting bugs in the a$$ on the back fender, since it has more room. Good luck. DSRTDOC
I originally had the idea of getting somebody like Chrome Fustion to do it and make the stripes in chrome and the "pealed out metal" look like chrome. But those guys want a LOT of money for something like that. At least double what a first line painter want's to just do it this way.
But that other idea of having him chase bugs a

Old 09-15-2007, 02:53 AM
jf
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I really like your idea citro but yes i think the HD badge needs a bit more work. i think it would be a very original bike if you had it done. be sure to let us know what happens with it.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:50 AM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a thought....How would it look if it were the HD symbol that Marvin was busting through on the tank? Maybe make it large enough so thatthe bar &shieldis still indentifiable. I'm not sure if that would look good or not. Just wanted to throw an idea out there.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:21 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

L2R,
That was one of my earlier ideas, but as of now I haven't figured out (yet) how to do it on the computer. If I can then the color of theemblem would not be as critical.

jf,
Thanks for the encouragement.My big challenge is going to beconvincing the Mrs. to let me part with up to a couple of thousand bucks tohave itdone.

Overall its been a fun exercize, and with a bit of practice I think that nearly anyone could design their ownpaint jobin the computer. By e-mailing it to thepainterhe or they would know exactly what you wanted it would take less time andmaybe lower the cost. But most important is that itwould ensure you got what you wanted and virtually eliminate the "well its not 'exactly' what I had in mind, but its still nice" kind of thing.

I wish I couldremember who it was that did it. Butsome time ago I found a web site for a company that madecustom wheels out of the stock solid cast ones. Their web site had a simple downloadable program that let you make up your own designs on a stock wheel blank. Save the image and e-mail it to them and they would take your wheel and cut it to your specs. evenhave it chrome platedif you wanted.

I wish somebody would make some tank and fender blanks like that so we could play with them the same way. But if anyone would like a tank or front feder "blank" to play with let me know and I'll make one up from the one I have already and e-mail the full sized version ofit to you to "play" with.

Might be a lot of fun to see what other people can come up with. Maybe if there's enough interest we could ask the powers that be around here if we can start a little contest to see who can come up with the best, strangest, or worst designs. Be like a paint job of the month thing. I can provide a blank version of my tank side as a "canvas " to work on and we'll let anyone who wants to download it to play with.