Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 SOFTAILS???

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005 | 05:04 AM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: 07 SOFTAILS???

well i dont know much about gear ratio's and such with 5speed VS 6 speed, but I can tell you one thing about helical cut gears. They can be just as strong as strait cut gears. My ship has 4 LM-2500 gas turbine motors that make 25,000hp (thats right twenty five thousand) each. The main reduction gears on the ship are Helical cut, so I think that if 50,000hp going through a set of helical gears doesnt break it, a TC88 making 60-80hp isnt going to really have a problem. Also, the turbines on the ship spin upward of 25,000 rpms as well so dont think that speed is a factor either.

Chris

Old 11-26-2005 | 08:20 AM
JamieWG
Road Master

ORIGINAL: MegaHDman

I figured you would avoid the rest and most important part of my last thread. Not to mention get stumped with the first simple question.Hey, What do I know? Only been working on hundreds of HD bikes(both street and track) over the last 15 years. And btw, my "opinion" is based soley on pure facts and experience. Maybe before you spout off on technical opinions though, you should have a bit more to back your words up other than what you read in a few magazine articles in your spare time. You should have left your original post at "slick shifting......I like it". You went wrong when you included "strongest transmission HD ever put out", thats what killed you and any technical credibility you may have posessed prior to this thread.

Get this straight... I'm not avoiding anything. You think you know everything... fine. You think you're smarter than all the engineers hired by Harley-Davidson... hey, that's great. Nothing I say can change that, and nothing you can say will change my mind. So what's the point? Now, you want to get smart and be a punk about it? ..Why?? You win. You've convinced me that you're the smartest guy in the world. No kidding. I think HD should've come to you and asked for guidance before they made the new 6-speed. I even think I'll write HD a letter demanding they replace my 6-speed with a 5-speed, cause "HDMegaman" says the new transmission is nothing but HD propaganda. You're just a mechanic? Damn, I had you figured to be a bonafide rocket scientist. I sure hope you're not the guy who sent my bike out the door with a loose plug and a misaligned rear wheel.

I went wrong when I spouted off that the new 6-speed is the strongest transmission HD ever made??.. Well here, let me say it again - The new 6-speed is the STRONGEST TRANSMISSION HD EVER MADE. Now if you don't like it, then good.... go tell HD to stop saying it. I might put it in my sig line just for you. Afterall, it's ALL HARLEY PROPAGANDA right? ... and anything that might actually be better than what YOU currently own has to be trash and just more HD propaganda... cause there is just no way HD could ever improve on the bike you've got... I think I got it figured out now. Thanks for setting me straight. I'm going to go study my old issues of Hot Bike .. I'll be back later.

Old 11-26-2005 | 09:27 AM
Paratrooper
Intermediate

Boy, I wish I knew that much about the gears........

anybody want to argue about my chrome axle caps???

This is were I learn all my tech stuff!!! I love it!!!

Old 11-26-2005 | 12:19 PM
MegaHDman
Banned

ORIGINAL: JamieWG

I figured you would avoid the rest and most important part of my last thread. Not to mention get stumped with the first simple question.Hey, What do I know? Only been working on hundreds of HD bikes(both street and track) over the last 15 years. And btw, my "opinion" is based soley on pure facts and experience. Maybe before you spout off on technical opinions though, you should have a bit more to back your words up other than what you read in a few magazine articles in your spare time. You should have left your original post at "slick shifting......I like it". You went wrong when you included "strongest transmission HD ever put out", thats what killed you and any technical credibility you may have posessed prior to this thread.

Get this straight... I'm not avoiding anything. You think you know everything... fine. You think you're smarter than all the engineers hired by Harley-Davidson... hey, that's great. Nothing I say can change that, and nothing you can say will change my mind. So what's the point? Now, you want to get smart and be a punk about it? ..Why?? You win. You've convinced me that you're the smartest guy in the world. No kidding. I think HD should've come to you and asked for guidance before they made the new 6-speed. I even think I'll write HD a letter demanding they replace my 6-speed with a 5-speed, cause "HDMegaman" says the new transmission is nothing but HD propaganda. You're just a mechanic? Damn, I had you figured to be a bonafide rocket scientist. I sure hope you're not the guy who sent my bike out the door with a loose plug and a misaligned rear wheel.

I went wrong when I spouted off that the new 6-speed is the strongest transmission HD ever made??.. Well here, let me say it again - The new 6-speed is the STRONGEST TRANSMISSION HD EVER MADE. Now if you don't like it, then good.... go tell HD to stop saying it. I might put it in my sig line just for you. Afterall, it's ALL HARLEY PROPAGANDA right? ... and anything that might actually be better than what YOU currently own has to be trash and just more HD propaganda... cause there is just no way HD could ever improve on the bike you've got... I think I got it figured out now. Thanks for setting me straight. I'm going to go study my old issues of Hot Bike .. I'll be back later.

Hey, I'm smart enough to know that I wouldnt spout off a marketing claim without first inspecing it up front and in person. I'm also smart enough to know when a magazine lemming comes out of their hole. IF you had any true sense of how HD's corperate office operates you would have known that not everything they do is for the good of the consumer.

Hey while your at it why don't you go park your @ss over at a few other Harley sites(like HTT) and spout off what Harley claimed on their new bottem end case roller bearings back from 03' . "50% stronger than the previous designed case bearings". I'm sure people will take you seriously over there as well. And make sure you tell them "The new 6-speed is the STRONGEST TRANSMISSION HD EVER MADE. " There are actually lots of engineers at that site, and if your smart enough to open your eyes and lay off the keyboard, you just may learn something.

All in all you did a good job, you managed to avoid any of the true arguments that were put forth by myself while jumping up and down and whining like a little 5 year old.

Old 11-26-2005 | 12:25 PM
MegaHDman
Banned

ORIGINAL: sonar_chris

well i dont know much about gear ratio's and such with 5speed VS 6 speed, but I can tell you one thing about helical cut gears. They can be just as strong as strait cut gears. My ship has 4 LM-2500 gas turbine motors that make 25,000hp (thats right twenty five thousand) each. The main reduction gears on the ship are Helical cut, so I think that if 50,000hp going through a set of helical gears doesnt break it, a TC88 making 60-80hp isnt going to really have a problem. Also, the turbines on the ship spin upward of 25,000 rpms as well so dont think that speed is a factor either.

Chris
Chris, so your saying that your ship has the same exact helical gears that a HD bike has? Thats a great apples to apples comparison. [sm=lame.gif]I can name many a reason why helical gears are used in a ship like yours, and I can say that budget wasn't one of the main considerations either. Just ask the US govt on that. [sm=wakeup.gif]

Old 11-26-2005 | 02:20 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: sonar_chris

Chris
Chris, so your saying that your ship has the same exact helical gears that a HD bike has? Thats a great apples to apples comparison. [sm=lame.gif]I can name many a reason why helical gears are used in a ship like yours, and I can say that budget wasn't one of the main considerations either. Just ask the US govt on that. [sm=wakeup.gif]
Damn dude, chill out, all I was saying is that helical gears can be just as strong as strait cut gears, hence the 50,000hp of 2 gas turbines on my ship going into 1 reduction gear. I personally have no idea how an HD trany is built. Im sure that they HD trany and the reduction gear on my ship are 2 totaly different designs, but thats not the point, the point is that if General Electric can make a helical cut "tranny" for a ship with 50,000hp per shaft then HD can make a helical cut tranny for a bike that can handle well over 80 hp.
So that being said, there is no need to get pissy with me because your having a little pissing contest with JamieWG about which transmission is better 5 or 6 speed.

Old 11-26-2005 | 02:32 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member

I just want to know one thing...

Why are all these people being injured because of a false neutral light? Do you guys really trust these things?
This is the only bike i have ridden that the light seems to work correctly on.

I kind of thought that verifying you were in neutral was a basic part of riding.

Not trying to start an argument, I was just suprised to see this come up in the discussion.

Old 11-26-2005 | 03:29 PM
JamieWG
Road Master

Hey, I'm smart enough to know that I wouldnt spout off a marketing claim without first inspecing it up front and in person. I'm also smart enough to know when a magazine lemming comes out of their hole. IF you had any true sense of how HD's corperate office operates you would have known that not everything they do is for the good of the consumer.

Hey while your at it why don't you go park your @ss over at a few other Harley sites(like HTT) and spout off what Harley claimed on their new bottem end case roller bearings back from 03' . "50% stronger than the previous designed case bearings". I'm sure people will take you seriously over there as well. And make sure you tell them "The new 6-speed is the STRONGEST TRANSMISSION HD EVER MADE. " There are actually lots of engineers at that site, and if your smart enough to open your eyes and lay off the keyboard, you just may learn something.

All in all you did a good job, you managed to avoid any of the true arguments that were put forth by myself while jumping up and down and whining like a little 5 year old.
Hey, you win. You're a genius. I mean, how dare I disagree with HDMegaman - smartest mechanic in the entire world. Next time I decide to form an opinion, I'll be sure to ask you first. Shoot, had I known that Harley Davidson is nothing but a cost-cutting, propaganda spreading company that does nothing but lie and manufacture weak products, then I would have never bought one in the first place. I'm surprised a guy as smart as you are even rides one.. I'm sure that any day now, they'll start asking your opinion before they build anything new in the future. That '03 bearing is a sure sign that anything they say from now on must be a total lie. It just figures that a magazine lemming like me would buy a hunk of junk, ride it 3000 miles, never inspect it up close and in person and then proclaim it to be a good product. Post on HTT? .. Actually, I think I might go post on a Metric site - they probably don't bash HD as much over there.

Old 11-26-2005 | 03:30 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member

Its not a false nutral light, the transmissions in some cases have sliped into 1st or 2nd gear from nutral causing the bike to move by itself with the rider on it causing them to fall off.

Chris

Old 11-26-2005 | 03:33 PM
Mike05
Tourer

4 speed....
5 speed.....
6 speed......

Heck, I like biscuits !

Quick Reply: 07 SOFTAILS???