Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Softail head lights blink off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 09:48 PM
tarcedo
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heritage Softail head lights blink off.

i have a heritage softail 2003 (custom), the issue that im having is with the head lights. if im riding at night with the passing light switch on, all the front lights will eventually shut off for about 1 minute (including passing lights), then it will come back on and eventually do the same thing again.
if im riding with the passing light switch turned off, the front head light will stay on and all will be fine.
another issue i notice is thatwhen im looking at the fuse box under the seat, the wire that is connected to the fuse (or breaker) which controls all the front lights, gets hot when the passing lightsare turned on. when the passing lights are off it stays cool.

imsure that this is the issue im just not certain how to go about fixing it. if anyone has any suggestions or a diagram or anything that could help i would appreciate it.
thanks in advance

Old 09-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Softy
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Heritage Softail head lights blink off.

It's possible that the bulbs in your passing lamps are the wrong wattage. You could also check for a loose or corroded connection.(high resistance) will make it hot. 2 cents

Old 09-05-2007, 10:55 PM
Bowtieman31
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Heritage Softail head lights blink off.

Usually your headlight switch is thermally protected with a circuit breaker. When overloaded it will overheat and shut off, when the switch/circuit cools down, it will allowthe currentto flow again. I would check the following: Ground wires, circuit breaker, relay and headlight switch. Also check all wire connections for corrosion or poor fit.Hope this helps.