Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metzeler Tires

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 05:51 PM
Fullcoda
|
6th Gear
Default Metzeler Tires

I have a 2014 Breakout and have tried several different tire brands and have settled on the Metzeler Cruisetecs. Great performance and mileage, and have used them for a couple of years now. My question is why are the treads installed opposite of each other? I mount my own tires and make sure that the arrows are in the proper orientation. I see how the sipes in the rear tire wick water outward from the direction of travel, and it seems to me the front tire should be installed the same way. I have tried to ask Metzeler (Pirelli) about this and they responded saying they needed my phone number. I decided they did not need my phone number. Has anyone else noticed the difference front to rear? Thoughts and observations are welcome and encouraged

Old Yesterday | 06:34 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

That's a good one. Assume your doing the fill in on their website. Just besure they have you email and just type in a number you make up for a phone number.

You will get a professional answer and not just a bunch of opinions that you need to decide what sounds best.

I ask Metzeler myself from a copy and past. Put some paragraph spaces in it.

If they answer, will paste it here. I use to run Metzelers. Mine were not performance ones. They were squeaky hard on my slick concrete garage floor.

Lasted a long while with lot of miles on them. The front developed a cup between ever rain slot. In a tight turn at a certain speed, it would howl pretty loud.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; Yesterday at 07:18 PM.
Old Yesterday | 07:05 PM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Sorry for the ChatGPT response, but it did a good job of summarizing other written articles. Front and rear motorcycle tires are mounted with different tread directions to optimize performance for their specific functions:
  1. Different Roles: The front tire is primarily responsible for steering and braking, while the rear tire focuses on propulsion and stability. Each tire's design is tailored to its role.
  2. Handling and Feedback: The tread pattern on the front tire is designed for better grip during cornering and to provide feedback to the rider. This enhances control and responsiveness.
  3. Traction Under Acceleration: The rear tire typically has a tread pattern that maximizes traction during acceleration. It may feature a design that helps maintain stability when the bike leans into turns.
  4. Water Management: Different tread patterns help channel water away differently, reducing the risk of hydroplaning. The front tire usually has more grooves for better wet traction.
  5. Wear Patterns: Different tread orientations can help manage wear and extend the lifespan of the tires, as they distribute forces differently during various riding conditions.

Old Yesterday | 07:20 PM
Rusty Springs
Road Captain

I think the difference is the direction of force on the tread. The rear tire needs to maintain traction during acceleration and the front needs to maintain traction during braking.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rusty Springs:
Jackie Paper (Yesterday), SGSGUY (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 09:31 PM
Fullcoda
|
6th Gear

Ok, I understand. Rear Friction is opposite from front friction. Makes sense. Thanks to all for the information, good job guys.
I have also experienced front tire cupping, checked the front alignment as best as I could, seems on spec. brake also not dragging.
Perhaps the front tire is on backwards lol. Since I don't use the front brake much at all except for occasional and very slight trail braking a corner to load the front end, I wonder what would be the harm in installing the front tire backwards? I am more interested in wicking water out from under the tire which I think would work better if the tire was reversed. Seems to me the sipes in the tire would push water under the tire if installed correctly, therefore promoting aquaplaning. Thoughts? As a postscript I see
that some responders are from the south. I am envious. I'm getting ready to put the beast to sleep for the winter and fire up the snowmobile. Happy trails.

Last edited by Fullcoda; Yesterday at 09:36 PM.
Old Yesterday | 10:43 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member

I used to be a Metzler guy . Then I tried the Dunlap American elites . And recently bought this Continental tire just for the meat / rubber it has on it .