Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas on Oil tank Softail slim 2015

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 03:18 PM
obedpalos
|
5th Gear
Unhappy Gas on Oil tank Softail slim 2015

Hello everyone

I hope somebody can help me, recently I noticed Gas in my Oil Tank, one day I was checking the oil level and I noticed the level was too high, but it had bubbles, I smelled it and noticed the oil tank had gas... so what I did was remove the gas tank take off the fuel injectors, (send it to a lab to clean it and repair them) so when I installed them back, I changed the oil and oil filter, added oil (only 2 bottles) started the engine for 1-2 minutes.. then checked back again... and again the oil level was too high with bubbles and gas.... what else could be??

Old Yesterday | 05:12 PM
Ohio HD
Road Master

Softails have the tendency to loose oil from the oil tank as it'll drain into the motors crankcase when it sits awhile. When you start the motor it'll return to the oil tank. So don't add oil until after the motor has started and is warming up. At that point you can shut it off and check the oil level.

Old Yesterday | 05:21 PM
obedpalos
|
5th Gear

Thank you, Ohio HD. Maybe I wasn't clear hehe sorry, but the problem is that the oil tank has Gasoline... I mean the Oild tank is at medium level, then when I started the engine for 1-2 minutes, I turned off, checked the oil level, and shows more than full... (because it's filtering gas too)

Old Yesterday | 06:03 PM
robarosa
Road Master

Originally Posted by obedpalos
Thank you, Ohio HD. Maybe I wasn't clear hehe sorry, but the problem is that the oil tank has Gasoline... I mean the Oild tank is at medium level, then when I started the engine for 1-2 minutes, I turned off, checked the oil level, and shows more than full... (because it's filtering gas too)
After running and level is more than full, siphon out the extra to the proper lever. Then see what happens over the next few days. If you don't have a siphon pump, something like this from a local auto store will work.

Old Yesterday | 09:39 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Hello everyone

I hope somebody can help me, recently I noticed Gas in my Oil Tank, one day I was checking the oil level and I noticed the level was too high, but it had bubbles, I smelled it and noticed the oil tank had gas... so what I did was remove the gas tank take off the fuel injectors, (send it to a lab to clean it and repair them) so when I installed them back, I changed the oil and oil filter, added oil (only 2 bottles) started the engine for 1-2 minutes.. then checked back again... and again the oil level was too high with bubbles and gas.... what else could be??

If the fuel injectors were leaking and the extra gas was washing past the rings into the oil, that would contribute to the higher level of oil contaminated with fuel in your oil tank...

When you drained the oil for your oil change, you drain it from the oil tank. Any oil left in the engine sump would still be contaminated with gas.

If, as Ohio mentioned above, some of the contaminated oil "settled" into the engine sump, it would now return to the tank still diluted with gas.Many softails will have the oil in the tank seep past the oil pump over time and settle in the engine sump. You had gas contaminated oil which is thinner than normal oil. If a lot of the contaminated oil "settled", or passed through the oil pump into the engine sump, you could have had a much larger than normal amount of contaminated oil in the engine sump after your oil change. That would again lead to a higher level of oil along with the gas contamination.

If you have fixed the issue with the repair of the fuel injectors, you won't be adding any more gas to the oil, but it could take a bit to flush out all the gas contaminated oil between the oil tank & what could have been left in the engine sump.

If I had gas contaminated oil, I would do an engine flush to make sure to get any contaminated oil left in the sump. There are a few ways to do that. A search should bring them up..

What I find troubling is the fact that you see "bubbles" in the oil tank. The oil return is at the top of the oil tank, so should not introduce any bubbling air through the oil in the oil tank...

Could what you see be the oil foaming a bit as it is dumped/splashed back into the oil tank? That would be normal.

If you are getting actual air bubbling up through the oil in the oil tank, you have bigger issues....

Try a flush to remove all contaminated oil. Then see if the gas contamination returns, and if air is actually bubbling up through the oil in the oil tank.

Keep us posted...

Last edited by hattitude; Yesterday at 09:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
obedpalos (Today)
Old Today | 05:25 AM
obedpalos
|
5th Gear

Thank you so much! I will do both recomendations, I will get a siphon pump; When I changed the filter & old oil contaminated, I did the “MOTOR FLUSH” to “clean the engine” to any possible gas remaining, added new oil, then when I started the engine it’s when the level increased, become dark and with bubbles, I just hope is not the piston rings, I will keep you posted!! Thanks so much again!!

Old Today | 08:03 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Thank you so much! I will do both recomendations, I will get a siphon pump; When I changed the filter & old oil contaminated, I did the “MOTOR FLUSH” to “clean the engine” to any possible gas remaining, added new oil, then when I started the engine it’s when the level increased, become dark and with bubbles, I just hope is not the piston rings, I will keep you posted!! Thanks so much again!!

If you did a "motor flush" when you originally changed the oil, meaning you removed the oil return hose and flushed the oil out of the engine sump, you should have gotten the contaminated oil out and removed any excess contaminated oil from the sump at that time... But a second flush wouldn't hurt..

Good luck and keep us posted..

Old Today | 08:32 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Community Team

I can understand having gas in your oil if you had a carbureted bike, but with EFI it can't really leak into the motor when it's off. The fuel pump and injectors are inactive. I see crankcases full with gas on Suzuki DRZ400s all the time due to petcock failure, but never with EFI. What exactly did you do to "MOTOR FLUSH" your engine? How many miles are on your engine?

John