Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does HD have to make things so hard?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 12:30 PM
crock921
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why does HD have to make things so hard?

well that is highly annoying. you have to splice wires and cut stuff apart just to install a detachable sissy bar because it does not fit behind the lights. you would think HD would engineer these setups a little better.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Tralfaz
Road Master

ORIGINAL: hspring03
I also went with the directional bar from a Deluxe...I was tired of hitting the struts every time I took the bags off.
I had thought about trying to do this since I do like the look of it better than doing the strut extensions I did. I just wasn't sure I was quite ready to go as far as drilling holes in the fender to install the signal bar. I still stand by my choice of getting the Springer because I really love the style, but I have definately discovered that it is frustrating getting parts for it. As it is my other weekend project was installing the slip-on mufflers I got, but that turned into a failure. Looking at every web site I find they "say" these mufflers fit on an '07 Springer, but the box says "97-02" for the year range, and when I tried putting them on there was no way they were going to work with the hardware supplied with the mufflers. V&H doesn't even list these mufflers on their site (or if they do they are hard to find), so now I have to call them to figure out what is up.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:20 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

I did have to drill out five holes for the signal bar.....It took a lot of courage and a lot of measuring.

Strange about the slip-ons, especially being 97-02...03 was the same and the 05-07 are the same frame...and same mount points.....Something isn't right. Maybe some parts missing.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Zzack
Cruiser

Having owned metrics in the past I found Harleys to be easier to work on then any other brand I've owned. Mods are just that... modifications. You can get more aftermarket parts for Harleys then any other bike and that's a huge bonus. Many times aftermarket companies make better mods then HD imo. I hope you get it worked out and this is not a slam but my experience is just the opposite.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Tralfaz
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Zzack
Having owned metrics in the past I found Harleys to be easier to work on then any other brand I've owned. Mods are just that... modifications. You can get more aftermarket parts for Harleys then any other bike and that's a huge bonus. Many times aftermarket companies make better mods then HD imo. I hope you get it worked out and this is not a slam but my experience is just the opposite.
I'm not sure I was saying that the availability for mods on Harleys in general was lacking, but if you take a look through a J&P catalog, or even the HD catalog itself, mods that will work on a Springer Classic are certainly lacking. I've been able to find a rather large selection of add-ons to pick from for my Sportster. The Springer is just an interesting challenge since many of the style choices HD went with on it just aren't compatible with standard Softail parts.

All in all, however, I've found parts for most every modification I want and am making them work one way or another, so ultimately the choices I've had are enough.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:40 PM
Zzack
Cruiser

I got ya'. Understood what you meant. Guess I was trying to say that I found aftermarket parts that worked better then many hd accessories which make the abundance of parts real beneficial. I have an ’05 Classic and have found many parts to work even if they are not listed for the model. Sometimes they simply work, sometimes a little modification will make them work. Just takes abit of research about the bikes they're listed to fit and a quick comparison to see how things are put together on my bike.Also look at the heritage springer which was discontinued some years ago. It’s essentially the same bike and those accessories will mostly work too.My experience is that the fact that Harley is more "nuts and bolts" then any metricI owned (they seemed more "stamped out") simply makes 'em easier to modify beyond just bolt on parts. I enjoy wrenching and don't mind going the extra mile to make it work. I understand that's not every one's cup though.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:50 AM
dmac1968
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it is retarded that they don't come out STANDARD with the detachable hardware on them. Infact for the price you should get a bloody sissy bar with the bike!... but as long as we are all (and I include myself) stupid enough to pay extra for all this, they would be stupid not to take advantage of that fact

That being said... if they at least had the mounting hardware already on the bike stock I think they would sell MORE sissy bars... if you could just rock up to a dealer and buy it and clip it on, people would buy them on the spur of the moment rather than have to plan ahead to get it all fitted up!

IT'S A SCAM !! The Harley people would make good politicians!

DeanO

ORIGINAL: Tralfaz

So, I took care of relocating the turn signals on my Springer Classic today in preparation for a detachable luggage rack and eventually saddlebags. First, I have to question why the heck they design the motorcycle so that the turn signals need to be moved back a half inch to support the detchable hardware. If the relocation kit was more expensive I could buy that they do it to sell the relocation hardware, but the standard relocation hardware is only around $30 so they can't be making a big profit on that.

That being said, however, I went with a different relocation kit. They have a kit numbered 69929-07 that uses the existing turn signal mounts, but it puts extensions on the fender rails that move the signal back a couple inches. To go with the detachable bags I want, LeatherPros pretty much said I need to use this relocation kit. Here is where I have to wonder why HD designs things the way they do.

First I go to figure out how the tombstone taillight is set up, and it's a bit more complicated to get to plugs than the standard taillight is. Once I get that figured out, I discover that the plugs that go from the turn signals into the tail light harness are different than the standard plugs. This causes two issues. One is that, where the plugs for a standard softail will fit through the holes in the fender and fender rail, this plug is a little larger so it will not fit. The second is that the plug extender that comes with the relocation kit will not work. So, I'm stuck with cutting the wires and splicing in a length of wire to extend things. I would have preferred not to have to do this, but I've done it before on my Sportster, so it wasn't a big deal.

Then I discover that the bolts they include for bolting the turn signals on to the rail extension are too short. I "guess" standard softail turn signal stalks are shorter than those on the Springer Classic? So, I have to wrangle up a 3 1/2" bolt to use if I want to have the nice chrome backs on the extensions, but for now I just use the standard bolts and have to skip putting on the chrome back.

So, I have to wonder why HD can't just use the same plugs for all their 2 wire connections, and why they can't use the same turn signal stalk lengths, and really why they can't just design the parts to support the add on harware they KNOW a good portion of people will want to use.

In the midst of all this I stripped the head on one of the fender rail mounting bolts, and those torx pan head bolts aren't exactly standard equipment at the hardware store, so now I likely get to buy a replacement for that at the dealership. That was a dumb mistake where I forgot to change out for the larger torx bit when tightening that one. Luckily I didn't get it very tight, so it was easy enough to remove.

Been a helluva day but the stuff is installed, which is nice. Now I just have to figure out why the damn V&H mufflers I bought do not fit.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Tralfaz
Road Master

ORIGINAL: dmac1968
I think it is retarded that they don't come out STANDARD with the detachable hardware on them.
The fact that the hardware isn't standard doesn't even bug me that much. On my Sporster, I just had to buy the $30 detachable hardware kit, and installing it was as simple as pulling out 4 bolts, and replacing them with the mounts. About as simple as it gets. On most Softails, though, the addition of turn signal relocation makes this upgrade a little more challenging for anyone who is not comfortable with splicing wires and using a heat gun and appropriate splicing collars to weatherproof the change. I could understand it if you had to move the signals from the middle of the struts to the end because they made some style choice. To only move them less than an inch (with the standard relocation) seems kinda dumb.