Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with My brand new Harley

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 11:09 PM
CutupRN
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with My brand new Harley

I just bought my '08 Heritage Deluxe from the dealer in July. A couple of weeks after I took delivery I was riding Earl (that's what I named him) back to the dealer to get dressed, saddlebags, windshield, security, etc. I was cruising along at about 60 mph and suddenly lost power. My motor was still running but I had no throttle and my oil light was on. Of course I immediately pulled off the road and shut him down. I checked all I knew to check......basically nothing! I did check the oil cap to make sure it was on tight. In a few minutes I was able to start him up again and was on my way as if nothing happened. When I got to the dealer and described my "event". They said they looked him over and ran diagnostics but found nothing other than a slightly loose battery cable. Well.......today I took a short ride and was about 10 or 12 miles into it and it happened again. There is less than 300 miles on this bike. What could be going on? Of course I will be making another trip back to the dealer this time for a closer look.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:21 AM
mentor70
Road Warrior
Default RE: Problem with My brand new Harley

Ah, the fly by wire age has arived!

Defently sounds like an electrical issue, your bike has no thottle cable any more, so no power = no throttle control, YIKES!

I would venture to say that it is possible to have had a loose battery cable for a time and now the battery voltage IS low, and the shop probably did not fully charge you battery after the repair and It is having trouble recharging and running the bike at the same time. If you have a battery charger or tender, put in on over night and see if that helps.

and check any electrical connection you can see on your bike.Also ck where they instaled parts for accidentle wirring damage.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:30 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

His bike still has throttle cables.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:48 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Earl is really Earlene and is pissed you misnamed "him."

Old 09-03-2007, 07:08 AM
finaldrive
Novice

If your tps (throttle position sensor) has a loose harness or is bad, it will no longer tell the ecm how much fuel to add, no matter how wide open the throttle body is. This is the reason I like carbs. Efi is superior as far as tuning and economy, but when that ecm goes bad on the road well.... you know the rest.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:02 AM
grandpawmoses
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm no wrench and this is just another senerio. The oil pressure sensor or its' wiring could be intermentent (sp). When the ECU thinks there is no/low oil pressure it shuts the engine down to only idle.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:44 PM
Cigar Aggie
Road Master

I had a similar problem se veral years ago on my new bike....found a wire that had rubbed through its insulation and was shorting out the system....check wiring from the battery to the starter for any wire that may be pinched.....

Old 09-03-2007, 10:19 PM
Rambler
Tourer

Only the touring models have done away with the throttle cables. Heritage still has them.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:54 AM
CutupRN
4th Gear

Thanks for all your thoughts! I took him back to the dealer yesterday and told them I didn't want him back until he was FIXED! I did throw out some of the possible problems brought up by this thread......but I'm just a "girl" so the service manager was looking at me with that grin that says, "she thinks she knows something about motorcycles". Anyway, I'm sure they will fix it! I made sure he knew he didn't want me comming back again for this problem! And with the help of you guys......I will know something about motorcycles!! Thanks again guys!

Old 09-09-2007, 11:57 AM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope it all works out!