Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

frame protectors

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007 | 09:02 PM
tmitchellof PG
|
Elite HDF Member
Default frame protectors

Anybody use the frame protectors when they jack up their Softail? I just bought a set thinking that would protect the shocks if I were to place the jack under them. Well the frame protectors wont fit far enough to the rear to protect the shocks. What do you do? Cut up the frame protectors, so they will fit?
Tom

Old 09-02-2007 | 09:12 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Default RE: frame protectors

I cut mine about 60/40 40 for the front of the crossbar and 60 for behind it.
Works fine that way.

Old 09-02-2007 | 09:34 PM
tmitchellof PG
|
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

I cut mine about 60/40 40 for the front of the crossbar and 60 for behind it.
Works fine that way.
Thanks for the reply. I think my confusion was that I assumed the frame protectors were strictly for the Softail models, to protect the shocks. I guess they are for all the models and you just cut them for your particular needs. I was expecting to just pop them on and lift the bike.
Tom

Old 09-02-2007 | 10:38 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

They will fit ANY bike with the same size frame tubes. But on Softails there is a crossmember just in front of the shocks that prevents it from "just slipping on".
I was going to just notch it on the inside to clear the cross piece. But decided that it was easier and would allow it to cover more area (lengthwise) if I just marked off where the front edge of the cross bar was and cut them.
Now I have two pieces that fit in front of that bar and two that fit behind it. Simple and effective.
Just be sure to take them off beforeyou ride off. They are big and bright orange and look really silly under there. But they won't fall off, don't ask me how I know all that.

Old 09-02-2007 | 11:22 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member

Just cut them (inside sideboard) with a razor knife.
It cuts easy.

Old 09-03-2007 | 07:03 AM
commander112
Road Master

Yup, cut them. I figured they would just slip on too but then actually had to look at the instructions that came with them to confirm that cutting is needed. I felt dumb for having to look at instructions for a piece of rubber. Your question makes me feel better!

Mark

Old 09-03-2007 | 07:11 AM
Heritage07
Road Warrior

Yep I cut mine and labled them right and left because I could make one side a little longer.

Old 09-03-2007 | 09:15 AM
tmitchellof PG
|
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: commander112

Yup, cut them. I figured they would just slip on too but then actually had to look at the instructions that came with them to confirm that cutting is needed. I felt dumb for having to look at instructions for a piece of rubber. Your question makes me feel better!

Mark
You were smart enough to look at the instructions. I already threw away the box they came in, so I didn't have any instructions to read. Who would of thought that they had instructions.
Years ago I read the instructions on a spray paint can.It said to spray holdvalve down, to stop spraying remove finger from valve. I thought that was was pretty funny.
Tom

Old 09-03-2007 | 11:57 AM
commander112
Road Master

tmitchell, since you don't have the instructions and some of the comments here are a bit misleading they go something like this:
Line up the protector with the frame in a position where the bike balance point will allow the protector to sit on the jack properly.
Note the spot of the frame crossmember on the rubber and just notch out the rubber in that area with a box cutter.

Mark

Old 09-03-2007 | 01:03 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

ORIGINAL: commander112
Note the spot of the frame crossmember on the rubber and just notch out the rubber in that area with a box cutter.
Mark
I got that far in the instructions and said the hell with this. Its a lot easier to just cut them all the way through and now I have the option of moving the rear one bac farther in case the bike's balance changes. Likeif the bike has a set of loaed saddlebags on it or I pull off the front wheel.

Quick Reply: frame protectors