Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

‘11 Heritage muffler clamp orientation

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM
eric8
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ‘11 Heritage muffler clamp orientation

Anyone still have factory mufflers and mind checking how your exhaust clamps are oriented from the factory?

I'm going back to stock mufflers on a bike I bought used, so I have no reference.

Old Today, 04:13 AM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,011 Likes on 2,868 Posts
Old Today, 05:08 AM
eric8
1st Gear

Thanks for the photo, but I saw the same one in my FSM and I don’t think it’s accurate. The worm gear clamps on the heat shields, for instance, are shown with the screw head portion at the 12 o’clock position when they were installed from the factory around the 6 o’clock. I was able to tell that from factory photos, magazine test photos, etc.

Yes I know I’m over the top nerding out. I’m a little ocd and just like things to be factory correct. (I bought an in-lb screwdriver torque wrench to torque my master cylinder screws, just to give some perspective)

Old Today, 06:09 AM
touchdown
Supporter
Veteran: Army
Received 1,779 Likes on 1,012 Posts

Just when I have read everything this nut wants to know what direction muffler clamps go.

The following 2 users liked this post by touchdown:
eighteight (Today), YZR (Today)
Old Today, 06:29 AM
eric8
1st Gear

Originally Posted by touchdown
Just when I have read everything this nut wants to know what direction muffler clamps go.
Fun fact: I also restore classic muscle cars. We make things so factory correct that we even apply overspray to the frame rails in the same spots the factory would have. There are more of us nuts out here than you think.

Old Today, 08:49 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,212 Likes on 4,412 Posts

Originally Posted by eric8

Fun fact: I also restore classic muscle cars. We make things so factory correct that we even apply overspray to the frame rails in the same spots the factory would have. There are more of us nuts out here than you think.
I hope I remember the details of this story correctly, it was many years ago...

My friend restored a 1970 Chevy Nova SS 396 back in the early 80's. It was an awesome car in superlative condition.

I helped him drop the engine in that car. I remember how perfect the engine bay was and I couldn't wait to see that freshly painted engine in place..

Just before dropping the engine into the engine bay, he took a spay can of Chevy engine orange, and started lightly "dusting" the edges of the valve covers in a few spots, so a little overspray got on several sections of the exhaust manifolds....

I can't remember if it was a book, or just notes with pictures, but he showed me how the factory always got "overspray" on the exhaust manifolds... He wanted the perfect factory look.

It was going to be a show car, and I guess those details are important.

So I understand the passion and the desire for perfection... but I still wanted to hit him...