Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil consumption?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2024, 08:36 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,407 Likes on 5,009 Posts

There is no way to accurately measure oil consumption if you drain and refill every 1000 miles (which is ridiculous).

If you are overfilling the tank, the oil is going to blow out the breather, then you will just keep adding, it keeps blowing out.

Most experts know that keeping the oil level at halfway between add and full on the stick is the correct level, any higher than that may cause oil to be expelled out the breather system.

Stop getting all puffed up and insulting because someone posts something you don`t like.

And please, stop bragging, most of us have many decades of mechanical experience here, you are not talking to kids.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 09-11-2024 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-12-2024, 11:38 AM
SoftailRider23
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New 23 Heritage just ate about 1/2 quart on a 2,500 mile trip. My buddies with newer bikes seem to be reporting about the same consumption. My old twin cam didn't start eating that much oil until it was over 20k miles.

1 quart every 1,000 miles seems a bit high.

Old 09-15-2024, 01:46 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,311 Likes on 2,940 Posts

Originally Posted by Hathaway
Someone said its in H.D. spec.s to burn a quart in 1,500 miles? To me, that's crazy. I frankly don't believe it.
I said it. Call a dealer service department. Ask the question.

I don’t like it either, but I didn’t make that up.

Here’s the tech service bulletin from 2017, for M-8’s.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...24214-9999.pdf

Last edited by gonemad; 09-15-2024 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-15-2024, 03:36 PM
Hathaway
Cruiser
Received 105 Likes on 60 Posts
Default You were right...

Originally Posted by gonemad
I said it. Call a dealer service department. Ask the question.

I don’t like it either, but I didn’t make that up.

Here’s the tech service bulletin from 2017, for M-8’s.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...24214-9999.pdf
I read the attached service bulletin and have to admit you were right.
That's finally vindication for all of the metric bike guys who saw me ride H.D. and told me they'd never own a Harley. I've had metric and Harleys and never saw oil consumption like that on any of my prior 36 bikes ( many of them were bought used). I've only had a couple of old beater cars that did that bad!
I started a thread entitled, " Am I the only one?" A couple of months ago, on this forum. It was the result of a test ride on a 2019 Heritage Softail, with the M8 engine. Some guys on here really didn't like what I said. said basically that my twin cams ran nicer, my wife & I saw no better ride, the seat sucked for 2-up, and I didn't like the "whirring" sound of the M8.
​​​​Maybe it's a lucky thing I didn't want to buy it!

Old 09-15-2024, 03:36 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,407 Likes on 5,009 Posts

Originally Posted by SoftailRider23
New 23 Heritage just ate about 1/2 quart on a 2,500 mile trip. My buddies with newer bikes seem to be reporting about the same consumption. My old twin cam didn't start eating that much oil until it was over 20k miles.

1 quart every 1,000 miles seems a bit high.
1/2 quart in 2,500 miles is fine.

Old 09-15-2024, 05:11 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,204 Likes on 2,443 Posts

Couple of vids on this subject that may be helpful-

Kevin

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 09-15-2024, 07:02 PM
Soundman5000
Cruiser
Received 195 Likes on 106 Posts

I have never had a Harley oil consumption issue and I have owned a few, I have however had a oil consumption issue in a new Mustang and my wife had a new VW brake issue that we tried the Lemon Law procedure, the VW rep came in, bla, bla , bla. I have never had any luck with the rep as when the "company" rep says it's normal what do you do at that point this side of legal action?

I know everyones situation is different but with the VW issue ( in our case if you just tap on the brake you almost flew through the windshield) it was simply easer to trade the car for a new one as I had to keep my wife and kids safe. She got a new car and I could walk away from this issue! It did cost us some money but not a crazy amount. My time is money and I had to get the wife back on the road.

The thing is when the dealer and the VW rep refuses to admit the car has an issue, he can't exactly lowball a trade so we traded that POS. This guy actually was happy to get her car and stated "this one i'll sell as Certified" don't you just love car salesmen?

Op, I also change oil and fluids very early in my bikes, always have...
Also, I have heard NON synthetic oil may help with oil consumption and I know for a fact NON synthetic oil is less noisy in the M8!

"Yep, I change my oil every 3,000 miles or when I get board, whichever come first" Hank Hill...

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom (09-16-2024)
Old 09-17-2024, 07:57 PM
Husky44
Advanced
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I cold fill to near mid-point, drive the bike for one-hour and idle for two-minutes. Never add if in the normal range on the stand. No oil in the filter and seems to be running normally for a HD. Just after a 200-mile ride and smelling oil burning had me concerned especially after idling for two-minutes and checking the oil level (per HD directions) after being very low when returning home. Guess I'm just too particular after riding import sport bikes since 1974. Anyway, life goes on

Old 09-18-2024, 05:49 AM
Tozco
Road Captain
Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Husky44
I cold fill to near mid-point, drive the bike for one-hour and idle for two-minutes. Never add if in the normal range on the stand. No oil in the filter and seems to be running normally for a HD. Just after a 200-mile ride and smelling oil burning had me concerned especially after idling for two-minutes and checking the oil level (per HD directions) after being very low when returning home. Guess I'm just too particular after riding import sport bikes since 1974. Anyway, life goes on
Your other bikes were wet sump, the Harley is dry sump. The wet sump oil level is foolproof, not so with a dry
sump.

Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM
Husky44
Advanced
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm not a veteran Harley owner but this bike (M8 motor) doesn't have an oil tank so how is it a dry sump motor? Not to disagree with you but the oil goes into a pan not a tank. Anyway, I followed the owner's manual and input here on correct oil levels and adjustments and after a 200-mile ride was down on levels significantly, plus smelling oil burning from the exhaust. Anyway, I have an extended warranty and just going to ride it till she quits, too old now to stress about it.

Quick Reply: Oil consumption?