Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Custom

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007 | 10:57 PM
TMehrens
|
Stage II
Default Softail Custom

Could I get some feedback from how wellthe Softail Custom handles, ( How well it corners, does the 21 inch tire handle the vertical cracks in the road, is it comfortable to ride for 200 mile rides etc.). I love the way it looks but I am wondering how well it will cruise through the curves on aMontanacanyon ride.

Thanks in Advance!

Old 09-02-2007 | 01:05 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Default RE: Softail Custom

Its not much different from any other skinny front, fat rear tired bike. It will follow grooves, but not badly and once the factory Dunlops wear out you can swap them out for something better, like Metzlers.
It will NOT go through the twisty's as fast as a bunch of other bikes. Face it, its a softail, its long, its heavy, but by God it can be a hell of a lot of fun showing the kids on croth rockets that just because it looks like a factory chopper doesn't mean it can't kick a little butt once in a while. Just don't try to lay it over very far until you ahve a few miles under your belt. Like I said its big, long, and heavy. And that big honkin 96 inch motor really knows how to put out torque in thelow to mid range rpms. Get a little to energetic with the throttle when its laid over and you'll find its not averse to trying to spin the rear tire out from under you. Not to sure how it will feel on a long trip. It and any other bike has to fit YOU before that can happen.
If your looking for a Harley to beat the kids in the twisty's then you don't want a Softail. Maybe one of the Dynas, or better yet a Buell, but for real performance in corners forget the baggers or the Softails. But if your looking for a really nice ride that looks and rides great that you can occasionaly get "frisky" with then a Softail isn't a bad choice.
Good Luck and ride safe. [sm=biker2.gif]

Old 09-02-2007 | 01:16 AM
Spike_96
Cruiser

Like Citoriplus said, But I'll add this: 300 + miles today, Smooth as glass. I had no problems keeping up with my more aggressive friends. If you want a Canyon Carver though, look elswhere.

Old 09-02-2007 | 01:24 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace

That big ol soft seat sure does make the ride a lot smoother that's for sure.

Old 09-02-2007 | 02:00 AM
Twolf
Road Master

Hi, brother.

Well, where do I start? 8K+ on the new bike, and I believe it will do ANYTHING that you can reasonably expect a Harley to do!!!
Yeah, with that lil' 80 front tire, you might think it wouldget squirelly on hot "tar snakes" and those places where they rip the pavement and leave something on the road that resembles furrows in a field, butshe takes it well. It's not too much different than a fat front tire, really. If ya gotta, just hold on tight and go faster! Smooths 'em out! ( I know, I tried going slower, didn't help!)

As far as handling, I think that skinny tire both dives into high speed curves and low speed U-turns just as well or BETTER than a fat tire. JMHO, but I think I can FEEL what that front end is doing much better than on my ol' Superglides, due to the slimmer tire. Weblast thru the mountain curves here in NM, and I never have any problems with it, I almost scrape pegs! You can be as confident with that bike as you are with your riding abilities!

Oh, now my favorite part, the ride. I had mine lowered, so it is a lil' stiffer than stock, but I am 5'6", so it had to be done in order to keep THE SEAT!!! Man, that seat ! Someone on here called it a "couch", so I call it that now!
Next best thing to a dresser! I'll say that your butt will love ya for it! You have to stop for fuel before yer azz EVER gets ta hurtin'! Not that it would, LOL! I think weRODE for 8 hours a few weeks ago, not counting fuel and beer stops, and some of the guys were eyeballing the "couch", like they wanted it on their bike!

Yeah, I am biased to the bone, but I love my FXSTC!!!A little of the old look, yet comfortable, and handles like a dream. A 96" and 6 gears don't hurt, either! BTW, NO problems that others have spoken of.

Plus, it is the first Harley I have grabbed offa a showroom floor!

Old 09-02-2007 | 04:00 AM
aliandray
Cruiser

I have a Sportster - for a little while longer. Took the FXSTC for a test ride and found it to be a very comfortable finehandling bike with the weight low down. It needs a lot more push (countersteer) into the corners that the Sportster, but I had no doubt that once used to it it would be just as easy to corner, just needs more planning. I think it is the best value in the whole Softail range.

TWOLF - love the look of those saddlebags - what are they?
Secondly have you pulled back the handlebars - or is it just an illusion? If so did it affect anything, has it helped?

Old 09-02-2007 | 04:26 AM
rifleart
Novice

Hi guys, pick up my new (off the showroom floor) '07 Softail Custom tomorrow. Can't wait, it's a great looking ride. I'm not too concerned about the handling,I just think it's a beautiful looking 'bike to own!
Will get photos on here later. Also am getting V&H Big Radius 'pipes installed.

I also have an '07 Triumph Speed Triple, a wonderful 'bike, takes care of all the crotch rocket stuff! Has a useless pillion facility tho'. The rear foot pegs are so high only a gynacologist would be interested in it!

Old 09-02-2007 | 06:11 AM
Hiflyer
Cruiser

Our anniversary (my bike & me) was last Thursday. I've put 5000 miles on her in a year. I've been on some 400-mile trips, but mostly just using her to take me where I need to be. I couldn't be happier with the Custom. It does well in town and on the highway. When I’ve encountered groves in the road or cross change lanes where one level of pavement is higher than the other, I just grip the bars tighter (sometimes a lot tighter), but the bike just moves on through without any instability. I have been impressed with the Custom. When I go to the dealer to look around, I don't see anything I'd rather have instead.

Old 09-02-2007 | 07:52 AM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp

I took my '08 Custom on a 250 mile trip yesterday. My butt is absolutely in love with that stock seat. It's the first stock seat I've ever liked and didn't want to change it out right away. We didn't stop for gas until after about 125 miles. No pain in my butt or back, like I did when I had my Deuce. The riding position is perfect for me. For the second half of the trip, I traded bikes with my dad. He just bought a '08 Ultra. Very nice bike. I loved the radio, cruise control, and driver backrest on that bike. Only problem is, my butt started to hurt on his seat. I told my dad that I liked the seat on my Custom more than the seat on his Ultra, and he said his butt started to hurt on my Custom. So I guess it just all depends on your butt as to which seat feels best. But I can't complain about the Custom one bit! I have no issues with handling at all. I have the Ride Like A Pro IV DVD and set up some cones like they did in the DVD and had no problem doing everything they did. I actually surprised myself since I haven't ridden the bike much. I've only had it for a few weeks. I decided I would give the cones a try since my sister and wife were going to practice on their Sportsters. Glad I did, because now I can see what that bike can really do. Today I plan on ridin' the twisties South Carolina/North Carolina. I'll edit my post and let you know how it handles those. I have no doubt that the bike will handle great and be a blast.

Old 09-02-2007 | 08:22 AM
Midwest Muscle
Cruiser

You aren't buying a GSXR1000, so just enjoy the ride. I've always liked the way the softails ride ... And I've also owned a Sporty, a Dyna, and a Buell X1. Give me a softail anyday ...

Quick Reply: Softail Custom