Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Custom

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007 | 08:38 AM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Softail Custom

I think the 21" wheel sucks on steep downgrade twisties, just from my own experince in the smokey mountains. The baggers could do twice my speed coming down the mountains. If i tried to keep up with them i could feel the 21" start to give way on the turns

Old 09-02-2007 | 09:39 AM
Twolf
Road Master

Aliandray, hiya!

I've had those bags so long, I don't remember where I got them. Just some cheap generic stuff. I want to get those bags from Leatherpros.com , the "42" size! No money yet.

Yes, those bars are pulled back an extra 30 degrees! GOOD EYE! We did that at the dealer so that I couldsit all the way back. Feels perfect.
They have always been like that

Old 09-02-2007 | 10:25 AM
dg7080
Cruiser

Love my FXSTC. I've had it 8 months and now have a bit for 10K miles on it. I've done 2 trips of 11 hours, thats counting gas stops and I was ready to get off it, but it was doable and I'd ride it that far again. Did a 7 hour last weekend to the National HOG rally and thats about my limit on comfort, over 7 and it's a bit tiring.

It handles great for what it is, I used to own a Sportster and several metrics, but this bike will hang in there with all of em. You just got to get the feel for it and know how to push it. As for the skinny tire up front, it will make you think when your running 75 or so and hit a snake on the freeway.

Old 09-02-2007 | 10:44 AM
Bikenator
Club Member

Just had to to add my $.02. I'm half way through my round trip from South Florida to Vermont (1600 miles one way.) Writing this from Vermont right now. This 07 FXSTC is the most comfortable Harley I've ever owned. This means the ride and the saddle! The saddle is good for a 16 hour, 700+ mile run from the northern SC border toupstate New York. Previous day's run was 13 hours from SFL through SC. Rain grooves, tar strips, expansion cracks...you name it, the bike tracked straight and was never close to squirrley. It has been a stable mount in all the conditions I've been through so far. Left home with 271 total miles on the bike, first tank of fuel got 49 MPG, 2nd 51, 3rd and all since were 54 MPG (highway at 62-70 MPH.) Pushing a quick detachable windshield, 40 lbs of gear stacked on sissy bar/passenger seat (no saddle bags.) I'm 5'9" at 170 lbs. BTW, changed all fluids out at 1600 miles (first chance I had to stop), Mobil 1 V-Twin in engine and primary, Mobil 1 75W-90 gear oil in tranny.
Best Harley ever.

Old 09-02-2007 | 11:29 AM
Oldtimer of NM
Road Master

The Custom isn't a whole lot different from my Night Train. The 'Train is great for long rides. It won't keep up with my Triumph on a back mountain road, but it doesn't do badly either, I just get to enjoy the scenery a little more but don't have to fight with the bike. I have the HD solo seat on it, and find the bike to be very comfortable. It handles very well even in wind so strong it blew my foot off the right peg and I had a hard time getting it back on!

Old 09-02-2007 | 01:32 PM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp

I said in my previous post I would update after a trip through the twisties. I did a short ride, about 90 miles, up through Caesars Head in South Carolina. This was the first time I've had the chance to take the new bike through the twisties. My wife was with me, so we did it two-up. I had no problems at all. I didn't ride reallyhard since it was my first time taking the bike up there and I wanted to see how it would handle, and also because my wife was with me. The bike handled great! And after the ride, my butt felt like I hadn't even started to ride. I'm tellin' ya, that seat feels just like sittin' in the recliner at the house. I was depressed at first when I traded in my Deuce, but after doing some ridin' on my new bike, I am very happy with my decision.

Old 09-02-2007 | 02:47 PM
paulca
Road Captain

TM I'm sure from the responses you've learned that it can corner and is comfortable.

My 2p worth, living in a hilly area, lots of twisties and rutted roads, is basicaly the same as the others. A lot of intersecton traffic management in the UK is done using roundabouts, some big and some mini (painted circle at an intersection) and my FXSTC handles these and twisties just fine (some peg scraping though).

I've got the skinny retroseat and six to 8 hour trips haven't been a problem on my butt.

Having the geometry of a cruiser it can't compete with a sports bikeon the bends, but it's a lot more comfortable and handles them quite adequately. I had a Road King Custom on loan for a day a couple of weeks ago, that was more nimble and comfortable than the Softail Custom, but it's more expensive and not quite as pretty.

Old 09-02-2007 | 02:48 PM
Stealth_Spirit
2nd Gear

I too have a FXSTC and absolutely love it. Look for any excuse to ride (but that is probably just like everyone else). Agree with the comments about need to plan cornering better than the Sportster. I've had my FXSTC for about two months. Take it to work 2-3 times a week through winding southeastern PA roads. It was a bit scary going through some of the hard turns until I got use to how the bike handles and I learned to plan for the turns much better (good bike ridership anyway). Good luck with your search. IMHO, you can't go wrong with the softail custom.

Old 09-02-2007 | 03:29 PM
Lamo70
Road Captain

Will the 07/08 Custom king.queen seat fit on my '08 Fatboy? I like that seat alot !

Old 09-02-2007 | 03:38 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace

If you get the sissybar that goes with it I don't see why not.
Thesissybar is needed because the seat bolts to that and not the fender like the FB seat does.
Should make for an interesting look, see if there is anyone around your area with one who would be willing to let you take his or her seat off to try it out. I rode a friends 07 FB and I can understand why you might like the Customs, that FB seatis HARD!!!

Quick Reply: Softail Custom