Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Bigger caliper ?
Yes
20.00%
No
40.00%
Other
80.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

21inch front fat spoke, caliper rubbing on the spokes

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2024, 05:28 PM
Damo089
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TSheff
If you space the rotor will the caliper float in and clear?
no I can’t change that side as it’s the correct spacing to allow the rotor to sit in the position it needs to be

Old 07-06-2024, 05:37 PM
Damo089
5th Gear

Originally Posted by S.D.M.F
I never had any clearance issues with Attitude Fat spoke wheels.
I have a 2018 slim with the slim 16 front stock wheel. So maybe that’s why. I am gonna put on a oversized rotor and it comes with the bracket mount aswell so it will move the calliper further away from the centre of the wheel which will give it clearance

The following users liked this post:
TSheff (07-06-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 05:38 PM
S.D.M.F
Road Warrior
Received 355 Likes on 229 Posts

Have had Attitude Fat Spokes for 10 years...no problem.

Damo089 (07-06-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 05:47 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,417 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Originally Posted by Damo089
no I can’t change that side as it’s the correct spacing to allow the rotor to sit in the position it needs to be
If you change parts (CUSTOM) and there are clearance issues, it requires changes - modifications. I would not recommend any filing or grinding of the caliper body. Any adjustment could be made at the mounting contact point and then only enough to allow some clearance. When the caliper is moved the rotor should be spaced accordingly.
Also remember spokes flex and may move lightly while riding.

The following 2 users liked this post by TSheff:
back again (07-07-2024), Damo089 (07-06-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 05:58 PM
Damo089
5th Gear

Originally Posted by TSheff
If you change parts (CUSTOM) and there are clearance issues, it requires changes - modifications. I would not recommend any filing or grinding of the caliper body. Any adjustment could be made at the mounting contact point and then only enough to allow some clearance. When the caliper is moved the rotor should be spaced accordingly.
Also remember spokes flex and may move lightly while riding.
thanks man

Old 07-06-2024, 08:26 PM
S.D.M.F
Road Warrior
Received 355 Likes on 229 Posts

I'd be questioning whether its the right wheel for your bike, the caliper shouldn't be the issue.

back again (07-07-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 08:34 PM
Damo089
5th Gear

Originally Posted by S.D.M.F
I'd be questioning whether its the right wheel for your bike, the caliper shouldn't be the issue.
yeah I have been told by the place I brought them that it is the right wheel.

Old 07-06-2024, 09:27 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,665 Likes on 1,084 Posts

If the company is confident the wheel should in fact fit your bike with adequate clearance, than either they're wrong or something is wrong with the installation. Personally, I'd suspect the later to be most likely, but I've had plenty of parts that are supposed to fit my bike, not fit it.

You should be able to get a good idea by looking at where the brake rotor goes through the caliper. It should be centered. If yours is offset to the outside, that could cause the wheel spokes to be tapping the caliper. In which case figuring out what was done wrong with the axle spacers would likely correct the centering of the wheel between the fork legs and clear the caliper.

But, if it simply will not clear, filing down the caliper isn't a problem unless you grind into the piston bore. There's a good bit of metal to go through before you'll get there. Reblack the filed off portion of the caliper to bring it back to the right color.

S.D.M.F (07-06-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 09:44 PM
Damo089
5th Gear

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
If the company is confident the wheel should in fact fit your bike with adequate clearance, than either they're wrong or something is wrong with the installation. Personally, I'd suspect the later to be most likely, but I've had plenty of parts that are supposed to fit my bike, not fit it.

You should be able to get a good idea by looking at where the brake rotor goes through the caliper. It should be centered. If yours is offset to the outside, that could cause the wheel spokes to be tapping the caliper. In which case figuring out what was done wrong with the axle spacers would likely correct the centering of the wheel between the fork legs and clear the caliper.

But, if it simply will not clear, filing down the caliper isn't a problem unless you grind into the piston bore. There's a good bit of metal to go through before you'll get there. Reblack the filed off portion of the caliper to bring it back to the right color.
thanks for the reply. Yeah the wheel is spaced properly and centred in the middle of the calliper.

Old 07-07-2024, 06:15 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,450 Likes on 2,597 Posts

Just a thought. Have you actually measured the centerline offset yourself? Three ways of doing it as stated above. If the wheel is not offset correctly you get what you have.

Last edited by back again; 07-07-2024 at 06:16 AM.

Quick Reply: 21inch front fat spoke, caliper rubbing on the spokes